PAYNE-L Archives

Archiver > PAYNE > 2006-01 > 1138690721

From: "" <>
Subject: Children of Nehemiah Payne??
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:56:17 -0500

Judy & others -

I'd be very careful in accepting this info about Nehemiah
Payne's children from Patsy Todd Bradbury. Several Payne
researchers have strongly questioned this before. I think
Bradbury mixes or confounds Payne branches. For example,
she lists my ggg-grandfather Joseph Payne (b. ~1760 Kershaw/
Camden, SC, m. Mary Brassfield and d. in LA) as a child of
Nehemiah. His father, instead, was a Philip Payne. I believe
that there were two distinct lines of Paynes out of the early
VA/NC counties who migrated into SC in the mid/late 1700s. One
line (mine) included a number of Payne brothers and nephews who
settled in the Kershaw/Camden area (in the town of Camden now
and south of it 10-20 miles toward the "high hills" of Sumpter.
Some in this line moved around 1800 to east-central GA
(Wilkinson, Laurens, and counties to the south -- some to AL).
The other line of Paynes came from counties to the west in VA/
NC, settled for a while in the Greenville, SC area, and then
filtered down into counties in GA such as Hall and Franklin.

In general, I'd question the individuals in this list of
Nehemiah's offspring who are shown as being in the Kershaw/
Camden, SC area. Perhaps the similaries of some first names
in both lines (Josephs, Isaacs, etc.) confused some early
Payne researchers. There seems a lot more previous attention
to the line associated with Nehemiah and the Hall/Franklin
Co. Paynes than with the line of John (the blacksmith),
Philip (his brother), and other brothers and nephews who
moved into the Kershaw/Camden area starting in the late 1740s.

I've been trying to figure out the VA/NC roots of my line
for the last four or five years, but I hardly have enough
good evidence yet to do more than speculate. My DNA profile
seems to suggest, based largely on info Patrick's shared, the
likelihood of some Huntingdon/Southoe English roots, and
perhaps a linkage to those (such as John or Robert Davies
Payne) from that line who immigrated in the 1630s or so into
southern VA. I think it will take, though, more work with
VA and NC records for me to be able to situate firmly my line
of Paynes among the others. That's why I've been interested
in re-examining the papers in the Col. Brooke Payne collection.
As some of us get much more familiar with the complexities and
gaps of info about the early VA Paynes, what seems initially as
overwhelming and almost impossible might become quite possible
to handle. I hope so, due to the tremendous time investment.
--- Steve