PAYNE-L Archives

Archiver > PAYNE > 2008-12 > 1229525803

From: "David S. Payne" <>
Subject: Re: [PAYNE] Thomas "Trader" and John Payne in VA
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 06:56:43 -0800 (PST)

Poldi,
There are so many Thomas and John Paynes scattered all thru VA during that period you mention below and at least 4 different DNA proven lines.
Are you sure the tithes and other lists you mention are the John and his brother Thomas "Trader" Payne of lineage #2 that we are discussing?
Also, I notice I have him died in Pendleton District, SC on my website.
I don't think that is right since he lived in Franklin Co. GA. He lived on Payne's Creek on Tugaloo River. There was a cemetery there but I think the US Corp of Engineers put a parking lot over it.
Even though I can't prove it, I do think he had land on the SC side of the Tugaloo River at one time when he got grants in Franklin Co. GA. Pendleton District west of the Seneca River was still Franklin Co. before the Beaufort Treaty in 1791.

David S. Payne, : My websites:
My surnames mostly in Upstate SC/GA, & Western NC:
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=otime
My Pictures, etc:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/y/David-Sheldon-Payne/?Welcome=1095014020