PAYORK-L Archives

Archiver > PAYORK > 2004-10 > 1098998248

Subject: Re: Schenk and Huber Families
Date: 28 Oct 2004 15:17:28 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/TcB.2ACE/6461.6464.6468.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

>>>Helen wrote to Jack, in part>>>

>>>I've come to the point where I am interested in connecting the families that came here with the families in Pennsylvania and Europe. We have facts that have been handed down, and I was told by one researcher who has passed on that he had seen Jakob Huber's signature on the papers for the transferring of Woolrick Hover's land to the son John, and it matched the signature we have on several documents here. This may or may not be true, but I'd like to know for sure myself.<<<

Dear Helen,

Now that's the part I'd be interested in -- helping connect those original mennonite settlers to their PA & Swiss/German roots!

You see, my own birth was in CumberlanCoPa not Lancaster (or York/Adams) and my mother's own two close Schenk families sat there, halfway between Carlisle and Shippendburg from1791 until I left there in the 1950's. Meanwhile many of their kinfolk moved further SW and West, often down the "Old Wagon Road" of VA/NC.

As I built my Swiss Mennotite database I've tried to keep the odd bits about those who migrated to Canada (& VA ). Over the years I've seen articles about Schenk and Wideman in Upper Canada and I've incorporated the oddbits about their connection baack here and to Europe.

Further, for some years I kept up a correspondance with Joanne Koehler Hoover whose spouse Ken is descended from Woolrick's John Hoover of "Freedom" in WashingtonCoMd.
She has researched him extensively and she is extremely thoruogh. She may still be active but I do know that they have moved to Senior community near Lancaster. In any case when you said: ..." I was told by one researcher who has passed on that he had seen Jakob Huber's signature on the papers for the transferring of Woolrick Hover's land to the son John, and it matched the signature we have on several documents here...". Well, that got my attention as I remember Joanne talking about some "missing signature" concerning her John and his father's property. I'm almost certain that she is interested in that signature!

What FH program(s) do you run?

Jack Clopper

HB: Unable to get you on symaptico.ca; pls email me direct at , tks

This thread: