PEASE-L Archives

Archiver > PEASE > 2002-11 > 1037698241

From: "Bev Pease" <>
Subject: Re: [PEASE-L] Great Baddow Peases
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:30:41 -0000

Hi

I am an English Pease, by marriage, and over here there is also belief of
the name being derived from a) a grower or farmer of peas, spelt pease
historically, and b) a peaceful or gentle man. It must be remembered that
surnames were not used except in families with land to pass on, until the
thirteenth century, and even then they were often changed. So a man born to
a blacksmith called Thomas in a village called Stratford, might start life
as Thomas Smith, but he went on to grow vegetables and became known as
Thomas Pease to differentiate him from his father. Later he moved from his
home village and became known as Thomas from Stratford, and that would
become his surname and be passed down the family. As long as people who
needed to knew who you were they didn't worry about it then. Similarly the
Thomas above might have been called Thomas Smithson, i.e. son of the smith.
Over here the names Pease and Peace are interchangeable, and I have also
found Peas, Pays and even Paice in the same family.

May I also say that over here we never say Essex county, it is either the
county of Essex, or just Essex. There are a few counties with towns of the
same name, when county of would be used, but never Essex county. The only
exception is County Durham, which has always been so called to tell it apart
from the city of the same name. When I see Essex county on a message I know
it is from an american.

I know that we use town and city differently from americans, so here goes.
Apart from some very newly created ones, a city is a town with a cathedral
in it, a town used to have it's own council, and was of a reasonable size,
often with several parishes in it, a village was smaller, usually a single
parish, sometimes a part of a parish, sharing the church and priest, parish
council etc. and a hamlet was a small settlement of a few houses with no
parish church.
Therefore a very big area can be a town, unless, and this is rare, it is
granted city status by the Queen. This is normally done to mark a special
occasion such as the recent jubilee. Equally there are some very small
cities because historically a cathedral was built there, usually pre
reformation.

HTH

Bev Pease

Chichester UK