PEEPLES-L Archives

Archiver > PEEPLES > 2006-11 > 1162491005

From: John Crowley <>
Subject: Re: [PEEPLES] Let's get some discussions going!
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:10:05 -0500

Sorry I took so long to reply to this, but I have been running around like
a chicken with its head chopped off.

Anne Bradbury Peebles thought that William Peebles "a soldier" was the
father of Henry (1786-1854) and Lewis Peeples (1790-1857) because there
seemed to be no other viable candidate. However, his brother is on record
as his heir, which seems to argue against his having a widow and two sons.
Further, the only reason I have ever seen for supposing that the mother of
Henry and Lewis was a Jane Darling is a very late tradition ascribed to a
great-granddaughter, and the fact that one of her Morris sons had Darling
as a middle name. Darling was actually a fairly common forename in SC
during this period, so I think this proves little, and I regard unsupported
oral tradition as being of little value when it goes back before the
grandparents of the source. Also, the published genealogy of the Baillie
family gives information on the Jean Darling who was the daughter of Andrew
Darling and Jean Baillie. She was about the age of the mother of Henry and
Lewis, but there is no indication she ever lived in SC or that she married
a Peeples.

On the other hand, DNA testing of the Peeples/Peebles family shows that
among the purported descendants of Captain David Peeples of Scotland and
Virginia, there are at least two DNA patterns, and the Henry and Lewis line
seems to belong to neither of them. However, the Henry Peeples DNA matches
closely the DNA of several Tillers/Tilliers/Tillyers of Virginia and
London. One Joseph Tiller lived near Lewis Peebles of Kershaw
(c.1740-c.1835). Lewis Peebles was one of the appraisers of Joseph Tiller's
estate in 1801. Joseph Tiller also had at least two sons who would have
been close in age to the mother of Henry and Lewis Peeples that settled in
Berrien County, GA.

Based on the proximity of these families, and DNA evidence, the simplest
explanation would seem to be that the mother of Henry and Lewis Peeples was
a Peeples/Peebles by birth, and probably the daughter of Lewis Peebles of
Kershaw. She named one of her Morris sons Alonzo Peeples Morris. It would
make sense for a woman to name a son for her own family, but hardly for her
to name a son of a second husband for the family of her first husband.
Also, I have seen no evidence that her name was Jane or Jean. In 1850,
there is an 83 year old woman named S. Morris living in the household of
L.B. Morris, Henry and Lewis Peeples' youngest Morris half brother. Since
Henry and Lewis Peeples and nearly every one of their five Morris half
brothers had a daughter named Sarah, I think it safe to assume that that
was the full name of the aged woman in the 1850 L.B. Morris family, and I
also think she was the mother of L.B. and his brothers and half brothers.
Lewis Peebles turned all his property over to a son in the 1820s, so there
are no estate records for him.

Her Morris husband is a shadowy figure, but some probable references to him
survive. In 1793, he signed a petition along with Lewis Peebles of Kershaw
and his sons, indicating that he with or near them. In 1798, a William
Morris of Fairfield District petitioned the South Carolina legislature for
a pension, since wounds received at the Battle of Eutaw Springs made him
unable to support his wife and children. In the 1800 census, a William
Morris household contains a female corresponding in age to S[arah], and
males corresponding to Henry, Lewis, and the older Morris sons. Fairfield
District is where Henry Peeples first appears in public records in 1807.
William Morris does not appear in the 1810 census and the last Morris son,
Lovezinski Brooks, was born in 1807, so William Morris may be presumed dead
by 1810. There are no estate records for him, so he probably died very
poor. Henry and Lewis both followed the trade of chair makers as young men.
This is the sort of occupation one might expect them to learn from an
invalid step-father.

Thus I propose the pedigree of Henry and Lewis Peeples as follows:

Sarah Peebles, daughter of Lewis Peeples, born St. Mark's Parish, SC c.
1767, and died Henry (now Clayton) Co., GA aft. 1850, had by one Tiller, of
the Tiller's Ferry Tillers, in lineal dsecent from the Tillyers of London,
two illegitimate sons, Henry (1786) and Lewis (1790), and subsequently c.
1793 married William Morris, a native of NC, and casualty of Eutaw Springs,
d. prob. Fairfield District, c. 1807), by whom she had five sons: Jesse
Pinckney, Richard, Alonzo Peeples, Samuel Darling, and Lovezinski Brooks.

Sincerely,

John Crowley