PEEPLES-L Archives

Archiver > PEEPLES > 2006-12 > 1165718358

From: <>
Subject: Re: [PEEPLES] David Peebles...
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:42:04 -0600

You are not at all butting in, genealogy in the 1500-1600 I hate to say is
alot of speculationand some verifiable records. A lot of the info. you have
listed is indeed in the book " Peebles Ante 1600-1962"

Here is what I have on the computer about Capt. David Peibles/Peebles
** Note some of this is my opinion, and you know what they say about
opinions " opinions are like armpits, they all stink !! "
M.Peeples

Descendants of David Capt. Peebles

Generation No. 1

1. DAVID CAPT.2 PEEBLES (ROBERT PEIBLES/1 PEEBLES/PEBLES) was born Abt. 1610
in Kilconquor, Fife, Scotland, and died Bef. September 01, 1659 in Charles
City Co. Va.. He married (1) ELSPERT MACKIE Abt. 1634 in Scotland, daughter
of JOHNNE MACKIE and BARBARA HOIG. She was born in Scotland, and died in
Carnbee, Fife, Scotland. He married (2) ELIZABETH BISHOP Abt. 1655 in
Charles City Co. Va., daughter of JOHN BISHOP and ELIZABETH BOOKER. She was
born 1639, and died February 04, 1663.

Notes for DAVID CAPT. PEEBLES:

Captain David Peebles/Piebles

David Peebles came from the area of Kilconquhar, Peebles, Scotland.

The first record of David Peebles in Virgina is on Aug. 5,1650, a grant of
833 acres in the present Prince George County, " the said land being due the
said David Peibles by and for the tranportation of seventeen people into the
colony " [ Charles City Co., Va. Record Bk. 2 p. 261]

Names of people transported - David Piebles{ himself }, Tho. Liddle, Marg.
Keith, Barbara Keth, William Smith, Tho. Milner, Antho. Wright, Marg.
Chamber, Jane Heyden, Marg. Danielson,

Thomas Biggs, Mary Bagan, Alice Berry, Wm. Pierce, Hugh Roger, Tho. Payne,
Jane Thompson.

[ Cavaliers & Pioneers, Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents & Grants page #
202 ]

"As it took about 6 months to obtain a grant, or patent, this would place
his arrival late in 1649,"

[ This arrival date is evidently a presumpion based on the length of time it
susposedly took to get a land grant if applied for imediately, no actual
verification ]

" when over 300 adherents of Charles 1, condemned to the block by Cromwell,
escaped to Virgina." [This statement is taken from the book " Peebles Ante
1600-1962 " it does not give any source of info. that Capt. David was
amongst the 300 indivduals condemned to the block by Cromwell, actually many
thousands of people enter the colonies during this peorid. ]

[ It seems inapproitate that a man escapeing from the Cromwell, would have
the time and money to advertise, as he did, in the area of Peebleshire for
individuals to come to Virginia with Him

** see below ** ]

There is no known proof of a David Peibles-Peebles being in the Scottich or
English Army , perhaps family folklore ?, how ever, he was appointed to the
position of Capt. in the Virginia Militia. , this was a common appointment
of rank to influential people.

>From the book , Extracts-Burgh of Edingurgh, { Genealogy Library, Houston
Tx. }

" 21 July 1647, ordaines proclamation be sound of drum to pas throw this
brugh and liberties thair of at the desire of David Pebles marchand to
invite such sort of persones, men and women , as he can agrie with upon Quid
conditiones to go with him to Virginia and make ane plantation thair "

The book " The original Scots Colonist of Early America 1612-1783 " by David
Dobson published 1995

" David Peebles had shipped { denoting voluntairy emigration } in 1647,"
info. showing that he was a merchant in Edinburgh Scotland, and settled
Powells Creek, Va.

He, as did most of the group, took an active part in the community life of
the Colony.

In a Court Order Book of Charles City County for the years 1655-1657, he
appears as a Justice of the County Court, a vestryman of Westover Parrish,
and a Captain in the militia, the area in his charge lying between Powells
and Wards Creeks, on the south side of the James River.

In the summer of 1656, there had been Indian trouble, which Capt. Peebles
militia helped subdue. Historians who have studied the Charles City Order
Book say That Capt. Peebles was probably injured at that time. Up to then
all courts had been held at Westover, on the North side of the James River
which Capt.Peibles attended. In August 1657, Merchants Hope Church in the
present Prince George ( Cut from Charles City in 1704 ) was completed, and
many courts met in it. Although his plantation was a few miles away, Capt.
Peebles was not again present, He lived, inactive and perhaps invalid, for 2
years or more. In that time Mrs. Peibils ( Peebles ) appears in the records
of his tobacco transactions.

Bon Accord Plantation

Capt. David named his property Bon Accord, after Aberdeen, Scotland. " City
of Bon Accord"

The Deed states; "Up Powells Creek to the head there of [navigation]

" West upon the Birchen Swamp " " South and West upon the land of Mr.R. Dye"

" East into the woods, Northeast upon lands of James Ward" " North upon the

Reedy Swamp ." The westerly tract Adjoined north the portion of Old Town
west of the swamp. Today the plantation just south of Old Town is called
Burleigh.

Later He and Charles Sparrow pattented 2,500 acres of land on both sides of
Birchen [ Birthina ] Swamp

at the Indian town that is still known as Old Town.

Bon Accord Plantation can still be seen from Va. State Route 10, 9.5 miles
east

of Hopewell Va. There are no buildings or remnants of Bon Accord left, a
fire in

the 1930's destroyed the last remaining building, only forest, a creek and
swamps remain.

Flower Dew Hundred plantation, and museum on Flower Dew Hundred Rd. [ Rt.
639 ] is in the imediate area. It is open Tues-Sun, April- Nov. . Adm.
Charged

{ In 1957 we visited the property, it was still undeveloped, trees , brush,
& swamp. I imagine it is now well developed ?? source; M.Peeples Jr. 1999 }

More About DAVID CAPT. PEEBLES:

Land Patents: August 05, 1650, Present Co. - Pr. Geo. Co. Va.

Source of Info. #1: Va. Land Records - Peebles Ante 1600-1962

Source of Info. #2: Various deeds, wills, Va. records, & Books

Source of Info. #3: Scotts Colonist of Early America - Extracts, Borgh of
Edingburgh

More About DAVID PEEBLES and ELSPERT MACKIE:

Marriage: Abt. 1634, Scotland

More About DAVID PEEBLES and ELIZABETH BISHOP:

Marriage: Abt. 1655, Charles City Co. Va.

Children of DAVID PEEBLES and ELSPERT MACKIE are:

i. CRISTON3 PEEBLES, b. 1634, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland.

2. ii. WILLIAM #1 PEEBLES, b. July 07, 1635, Kilconquhar, Fife Scotland; d.
Bef. August 05, 1695, Wynoke Parish , Prince George Co. Va..

3. iii. THOMAS ?????? PEEBLES, b. July 09, 1638.

iv. ALISON PEEBLES, b. Abt. 1641, Balclavie, Fife, Scotland; m. JON
ANDERSON, January 08, 1675, Wemyss, Fife Scotland.

More About JON ANDERSON:

Source of Info. #1: Baptismal Record, Scotland

More About JON ANDERSON and ALISON PEEBLES:

Marriage: January 08, 1675, Wemyss, Fife Scotland

v. MARGARET PEEBLES, b. April 09, 1642, St. Monanance Parish of Canbee,
Fife, Scotland.

More About MARGARET PEEBLES:

Source of Info. #1: Baptismal Record, Scotland

vi. JOHN PEEBLES, b. April 09, 1644, Balclavie, Fife, Scotland.

More About JOHN PEEBLES:

Source of Info. #1: Baptismal Record, Scotland

Child of DAVID PEEBLES and ELIZABETH BISHOP is:

4. vii. CHRISTIAN3 PEEBLES, b. Abt. 1655, Charles City Co. Va..

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM #13 PEEBLES (DAVID CAPT.2, ROBERT PEIBLES/1 PEEBLES/PEBLES) was
born July 07, 1635 in Kilconquhar, Fife Scotland, and died Bef. August 05,
1695 in Wynoke Parish , Prince George Co. Va.. He married (1) JUDETH DRAYTON
February 03, 1662 in Charles City Co. Va.. She was born 1639, and died Aft.
1670. He married (2) ELIZABETH BUSBY Bef. 1690 in Va., daughter of THOMAS
BUSBY and MARY SIMMONS. She was born in Wynoke Parish, Prince George Co.
Va., and died Aft. 1723.

Notes for WILLIAM #1 PEEBLES:

He came to America prior to Dec. 3, 1661, but after June 2, 1657/58, To
manage his fathers estate.

On July 30, 1670, Patents Issued Charles City Co., Bk. #6, pg. 118, #289,
473 acres, S. side James River.

On 3 Nov 1673, William Peebles was granted 862 acres, two rods and 24 poles
of land on the south side of the James River in Charles City Co. adjoing
Thomas Newhouse And Birchen Swamp. . . "bottom nigh

Old Towne Land," for providing transportation for seventeen persons to this
country. [ Virginia land Patents Bk. 6, p.182 ] This land lay 5 miles south
of " Bon Accord " on the head waters of Birchen Swamp; [ his father Capt.
David Peebles Plantation ] it adjoined 476 acres william Peebles had been
granted 30 July 1760.

As for the 3 marriages of William;

This info. is only, I believe, a presumption of Anne Bradbury in her book '
Peebles Ante 1600-1962 '

pg. 9 par.5 states

" How long Judeth, his first wife lived is not known, but she was probably
the mother of William 2nd.. Whether Elizabeth, in the 1690's was a SECOND OR
THIRD wife is not certain "

There is no known record or indication of a wife between Judeth and
Elizabeth, Anne Bradbury relates to the numerous names of Hubbard and Dudley
following William's second son David's line. Actually, these names start
with William's grandson [ David's son ] Jehu Sr. who had a son named Hubbard
!

More About WILLIAM #1 PEEBLES:

Source of Info. #1: Baptismal Record, Scotland

Will: Land Records, Va. - LDS

More About WILLIAM PEEBLES and JUDETH DRAYTON:

Marriage: February 03, 1662, Charles City Co. Va.

Notes for ELIZABETH BUSBY:

Interperted from her father, Thomas Busby's will probated April 9, 1723,
Merchants Hope, Pr. Geo. Co. Va. [Deed bk.1713-28 page 595 Pr. Geo. Co.
Va. ]

More About WILLIAM PEEBLES and ELIZABETH BUSBY:

Marriage: Bef. 1690, Va.

Children of WILLIAM PEEBLES and JUDETH DRAYTON are:

i. WILLIAM #24 PEEBLES, b. Abt. 1670, Prince George Co. Va.; d. October 12,
1727, Prince George Co. Va.; m. (1) ELIZABETH HAMLIN; m. (2) MARTHA GREEN,
Aft. 1755.

More About WILLIAM PEEBLES and MARTHA GREEN:

Marriage: Aft. 1755

ii. DAVID # 1 PEEBLES, b. Abt. 1683, Va.; d. November 10, 1726, Bristol
Parish, Prince George Co. Va.; m. ANN MAYBURY, Abt. 1705, Surrey Co. Va.; b.
1686, Surry, Va; d. Aft. May 28, 1756, St. Andrews Parish, Brunswick Co.
Va..

Notes for DAVID # 1 PEEBLES:

He was listed in 1704 on the Prince George rent Roll with 60 acres of land,
this is believed to be incorrect due to the known amount of property that
had been recorded.

It is thought that he was some type of traveling merchant, or business man
and rented out his property.

David Peebles;

Latest mention of his name is found in Chamberlayne's " Bristol Parish
Vestry Book and Register " pg.30

in parish accounts returned to the Vestry held " at the Chapple " Nov.10,
1726, is an item "

To Mr. Richard Jones for bur'ing David Peoples. He was paid " 00.300 tobacco
and .024 Cask "

Why was David Peebles buried by the Parish ? Or at least the cost paid for
by the Parish. And why Bristol Parish, which was 5-6 miles west of of the
land of William and David Peebles on Birchen Swamp and still further from
Surry ? [ the Peebles were known to be of subantial means ]

It is believe possibly a tragic accident and necessary immediate burial. [
? ]

More About DAVID # 1 PEEBLES:

Burial: 'Bristol Parish Vestry Bk & Reg.' p.30 "at the Chapple"

Notes for ANN MAYBURY:

1750 June, 26 Bk. 2 Brunswick, p.182

Undated will of Abraham Burton recorded;

Plantation given to wife, Ann Burton, " and her heirs ", with the addendum;
" My will is that no grandchild nor relative of any kind live with her to be
a trouble to her person and a charge to the estate, otherwise than by a
visit of 3 or 4 days or a week. That she gives no gifts to hurt the estate,
and sell nothing " etc.

Executers, Jehu Peebles and James Maclin. Wit. Richard and Lucy lanier,
Phillip Adams

Abraham Burton, was Ann Maybury's 2nd Husband

More About ANN MAYBURY:

Source of Info. #1: Peebles Ante 1600 - 1962

Source of Info. #2: Don Collins e-mail

More About DAVID PEEBLES and ANN MAYBURY:

Marriage: Abt. 1705, Surrey Co. Va.

Child of WILLIAM PEEBLES and ELIZABETH BUSBY is:

iii. HENRY J. SR.4 PEEBLES, b. Bef. 1695, Prince George Co.,Va.; d. Bet.
1731 - 1738, Surry Co.,Va.; m. AGNES NICHOLSON, Va..

Notes for HENRY J. SR. PEEBLES:

- - Abstracts of Brunswick Co. Va.

Indenture made the ___ day of __174_ between Benjamine Jones and Constance,
his wife, of Prince George Co., Marvis Gills and Luce, his wife, William
Bishop, and Amy his wife, and Joseph Carter, conveying land granted to Henry
Pebles father of the said Constance Jones, Luce Gills, and Amy Bishop, by
letters of Patents bearing the date of July 7, 1726, Deed Book 2, Page 504

More About HENRY J. SR. PEEBLES:

Land Patents: July 07, 1726, Brunswick Co. Va.

More About HENRY PEEBLES and AGNES NICHOLSON:

Marriage: Va.

3. THOMAS ??????3 PEEBLES (DAVID CAPT.2, ROBERT PEIBLES/1 PEEBLES/PEBLES)
was born July 09, 1638. He married MARGARET LANDELLS May 24, 1670 in
Kilconquhar, Fife, Scotland, daughter of THOMAS LANDELLS and HELEN MARSHALL.
She was born October 17, 1645 in Elie, Fife, Scotland.

Notes for THOMAS ?????? PEEBLES:

Note;

This Individual, ???? Thomas Peebles ????? is not verified at all ! I am
includeing him as only a reference should someone wish too check it out !!!

All of the other Children of David Peebles/Peible are recorded in Church
documents, why would their be no record of him as a son ?????

More About THOMAS ?????? PEEBLES:

Source of info.: This L.D.S. Individual is not verified by ME

Source of Info. # 1: This ?? Thomas ???? is not listed in " Peebles Ante
1600-1962"

Source of Info. #2: L.D.S. record [?] by, M.T. Higgs, Ogden, Utah

Source of Info. #3: Inter-Net info is not reliable, anyone can put down
anything

More About THOMAS PEEBLES and MARGARET LANDELLS:

Marriage: May 24, 1670, Kilconquhar, Fife, Scotland

Children of THOMAS PEEBLES and MARGARET LANDELLS are:

i. ALEXANDER SR.4 PEEBLES, b. March 30, 1676, Elie, Kilconquhar, Fife
Scotland; m. ISABELL RANKELLOR, November 05, 1698, Kilconquhar, Fife,
Scotland; b. Abt. 1680; d. October 10, 1744, Kilconquhar, Fife Scotland.

More About ISABELL RANKELLOR:

Source of Info. #1: Kilconquhar, Death Index

More About ALEXANDER PEEBLES and ISABELL RANKELLOR:

Marriage: November 05, 1698, Kilconquhar, Fife, Scotland

ii. MARGARET PEEBLES, b. 1678, Elie, Fife Scotland.

4. CHRISTIAN3 PEEBLES (DAVID CAPT.2, ROBERT PEIBLES/1 PEEBLES/PEBLES) was
born Abt. 1655 in Charles City Co. Va.. She married JOHN SR. POYTHRESS
December 18, 1688, son of FRANCIS POYTHRESS and MARY UNKNOWN. He was born
Abt. 1637, and died 1712.

Notes for CHRISTIAN PEEBLES:

Their is conterversity as to this Christian;

Was she the daughter of Elspert Mackie & David Peebles or, Elizabeth Bishop
& David Peebles ?

Several Va. records infer she was the daughter of Elizabeth Bishop & David,
however some say

" Why would David name two daughters Christian ? "

{ This was not a uncommon thing to do, it was often done when the first
named, died as a child }

The birth dates of the Poythress children seem to go with this younger
Christian !!

**** NOTE ***

The Plantation Bon Accord was left to Christon, thus it entered the
Poythress family.

Notes for JOHN SR. POYTHRESS:

John's half-sister, Jane Poythress married John Rolfe the son of Mutuska "
Rebecca" Pocahontas Rolfe

At least we can say we have someone in the family that is " KINDA " related
to POCAHONTAS ! !

More About JOHN SR. POYTHRESS:

Will Recorded: December 11, 1712, Pr. Geo. Co. Va. ,Lists names of wife &
children

More About JOHN POYTHRESS and CHRISTIAN PEEBLES:

Marriage: December 18, 1688

Children of CHRISTIAN PEEBLES and JOHN POYTHRESS are:

i. CHRISTIAN4 POYTHRESS.

ii. DAVID POYTHRESS, d. Bef. April 08, 1740.

iii. ELIZABETH POYTHRESS, m. (1) THOMAS EPPES; m. (2) JOHN FITZGERALD.

iv. FRANCIS POYTHRESS.

v. JOHN CAPT. JR. POYTHRESS, m. MARY BATTE.

vi. JOSHUA POYTHRESS, d. 1739; m. MARY HARDMAN.

More About JOSHUA POYTHRESS:

Residence: July 09, 1725, Purchased," Flower de Hundred" plantation Pr.Geo.
Co. Va.

vii. MARY POYTHRESS, m. UNKNOWN WOODLEIF.

viii. PETER POYTHRESS.

ix. ROBERT POYTHRESS, b. 1690; d. 1745.

x. WILLIAM COL. POYTHRESS, b. 1695, Charles City Co. Va.; d. January 18,
1763, Dinwittie Co. Va.; m. SARAH EPPES, Abt. 1725, Pr. Geo. Co. Va.; b.
1702, Henrico Co. Va.; d. 1750.

More About WILLIAM COL. POYTHRESS:

Burial: Blandford Cem, Petersburg, Va.

More About WILLIAM POYTHRESS and SARAH EPPES:

Marriage: Abt. 1725, Pr. Geo. Co. Va.