PEET-L Archives

Archiver > PEET > 2004-11 > 1100749925

Subject: Re: Peets
Date: 17 Nov 2004 20:52:05 -0700

Surnames: Peet
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/VN5.2ACEB/28.57.2.1

Message Board Post:

Dear Ms. Dunwald
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have been researching my maternal line and have found my great(x4) maternal grandmother to be Mary (Polly) Peet Camp Omans, daughter of Stephen Peet and Elizabeth Gurnee Peet. I know that Mary Peet was born in 1786 in Newburgh, New York.
I have really been struggling with the Peet family. And women are so difficult to track.
I am mainly going on the application for DAR my great(x3) maternal grandmother submitted.
It reads:
(The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 42 page 62 Mrs. Elizabeth Omans Seaward. DAR ID Number: 41155 Born in Eaton, New York. Wife of Joseph Stevens Seaward. Descendant of Sergt. Thomas Omans and of Sergt. Stephen Peet. Daughter of Thomas Omans and Mary Peet (1786-1859), his second wife, m. 1822. Granddaughter of Stephen Peet and Elizabeth Gurnee, his wife. Thomas Omans, (1759-1841), enlisted 1775 in the Massachusetts Infantry and served in the Artillery 1778 at Quaker Hill. In 1832 he received a pension for over twenty-two months' actual service as private and sergeant, Massachusetts line. He was born in New Bedford, Mass.; died in Eaton, New York. ) Stephen Peet, (1754-1838), served as sergeant in Capt. Jonathan Tuthill's guards of New York militia.
I also have the Rev. War file on Thomas Omans that includes documents concerning his 2nd wife Polly Omans (no mention of Mary). I have seen references to her as Mary (Polly) and I'm not sure if the person is just confused in the way I am or if there was a tradition of the two names "Mary" and "Polly" being used interchangeably.
I know that Stephen Peet married Elizabeth Gurnee because Stephen Peet is mentioned in Elizabeth Gurnee's father's will. In a DAR article, Elizabeth Omans says she remembers her grandfather Stephen Peet talking about standing guard over Major Andre in Tappan. I haven't been able to substantiate that, but it is very near where the Gurnees lived.
It almost sounds like Elizabeth Omans made a mistake in calling her Mary instead of Polly, but that would be her very own mother and doesn't seem likely.
Any help would be most appreciated,
and I'm happy to share what I know if it can be of help to you,
Lori
PS You can contact me directly at .

This thread: