PEI-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PEI-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938129713

From: Ron Kelly <>
Subject: Re: MacGregor, Duncan - Which One from the 5 Families of MacGregors?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:35:13 -0300

wrote:

> <clipped>

> Deacon Donald MacGregor married Elizabeth Stewart, called "Big Betsy",
> daughter of John Stewart Sr. and his wife, apparently a Margaret nee Stewart,
> all from Loch Rannoch, apparently the farm of East Tempar, near Kinloch
> Rannoch. The Stewarts emigrated in the 1820's or 1830's to Red Point, Kings
> County, Prince Edward Island, Canada to Lot 46, north of the town of Souris.
> Big Betsy and Donald MacGregor were married ca. 1839, maybe October, in
> either Red Point, or East Point, and then spent the rest of their married
> life in South River Lake, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Deacon
> Donald had a sister, Isabel MacGregor Sr., and a brother, Alexander, who
> lived on the next farm over, in South River Lake.
>
> Deacon Donald and Eliz. Stewart had amongst their children Rev. Peter Stewart
> MacGregor, my gf; who had a son Dr. Judson Stewart MacGregor; who had a
> daughter, Rosamond Jean MacGregor (me.)
>
> Now, I've given you the history. Listers, can you help me out on the burial
> place of Rob Roy's son, Ronald, plus the various Duncan MacGregors who lived
> at least from the 1600s into the 1800s around Loch Rannoch?
>
> Jean MacGregor Simon
> Huntsville, Alabama USA

Jean, I was intrigued by the reference to the Stewart and MacGregor lines in
the area east of Souris, P.E.I. as my wife is a Bruce from the same area. There
are a number of Stewarts and MacGregors currently residing in the area.
I'm wondering, though, if the reference to "South River Lake" in Nova Scotia
isn't supposed to be "South Lake" in P.E.I., one of the communities located
between Red Point and East Point, P.E.I. (and my wife's home). There are
certainly Stewarts and MacGregors in South Lake, P.E.I.
-- Ron Kelly

P.S.: Jean, I originally tried to send this to you directly but it came back as
"undeliverable". Hope you'll see it on the list instead. You may want to
determine why my original message bounced back, though.

This thread: