PENDARVIS-L Archives

Archiver > PENDARVIS > 2004-04 > 1080881405

From: (pat creel)
Subject: [Pendarvis] LA Obits
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:50:10 -0600 (CST)

This was sent to me, and I thought I would pass it on to others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pendarvis Death notices from LA Site:
[COPIED FROM:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans/orl_search.htm

6 Apr 1945; p. 1: Flight Officer George Pendarvis, 23, son of Tat
Pendarvis and the late Helen Babington Pendarvis, was killed on March
19th while on a flight over Germany. He had lived in Hammond a number
of years. Besides his father, who now lives in New Iberia, he leaves
one sister, Margaret Pendarvis, also of New Iberia.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/tangipahoa/obitcoll/vindic13.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Margaret leBlanc Pendarvis

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/orleans/obits/_times/tpi1993.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15 May 1942; p. 1, col. 5: Jimmie Pendarvis, 18, son of Thad Pendarvis
and the late Helen Babington Pendarvis, passed away Thursday in Houston,
Tex. He is survived by his father; one brother George; one sister,
Margaret Pendarvis. Not yet sure if the body will be brought to
Hammond, but his mother and other relatives are buried here. [An
article in the next issue names Grandmother, Mrs. Margaret Babbington of
Baton Rouge; father, S. C. "Tat" Pendarvis and uncle, Jodie Pendarvis.]

22 May 1942; p. 2: Jimmy Pendarvis, 18, services were held last
Saturday in Houston, Tex. He died last Thursday. He was a pitcher on
the Rice University baseball team and would have been 19 in one month.
Survivors include his father; a brother, George who is a college student
in Windsor, Ontario; a sister, Margaret Pendarvis of Houston;
grandmother, Mrs. Margaret Babbington of Baton Rouge; father, S. C.
(Tat) Pendarvis; uncle, Jodi Pendarvis a well known former diamond
performer in Houton and South Texas.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/tangipahoa/obitcoll/vindic11.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pendarvis Ann Madden 62 yrS F
W 07/08/1896 111 604

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/orleans/deaths/index/1896dimp.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Grace T. Pendarvis McCartney, 1967, Winn Parish, LA
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: December 14, 1967 Winn Parish Enterprise News-American
Rites For Mrs. R. E. McCartney Held At Beulah Funeral services for Mrs.
Grace T. McCartney, 74, of Route 2, Winnfield, were held at Beulah
Baptist Church near Winnfield with the Revs. Louis Moffett and Doris
Dearman officiating.
Burial was in New Union Cemetery near Tullos. Mrs. McCartney died at
about 7 a.m. Thursday, December 7, 1967 in a local hospital after a
lengthy illness.
Survivors include her husband, Robert McCartney of Winnfield; two sons,
Waldo McCartney, Winnfield, and Richard McCartney, Ruston; a daughter,
Mrs. L. J. Williams, Winnfield; a brother, Edgar Pendarvis, Houston,
Texas; two sisters, Mrs. Lula Dosher, Oak Grove, and Mrs. Kate Maxwell,
Tullos; and nine grandchildren.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

31 July 1931; p. 1, col. 3: Mrs. Helen Babington Pendarvis died in
Touro Infirmary, New Orleans last Friday. Born 17 Oct 1899 in New
Orleans; married Sylvester C. Pendarvis 22 Dec 1920. Survived by
parents, Mr. and Mrs. James B. Babington; one sister, Mrs. Maurice
Galliand, Jr. of New Orleans; one brother, James P. Babington of New
Orleans; two sons and one daughter.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/tangipahoa/obitcoll/vindica3.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mrs. Pendarvis, mother of Joe and Tat, died in Houston, TX, Tuesday.
Former resident of Tangipahoa parish.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/tangipahoa/obitcoll/vindica2.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Johnny William Maxwell, 1974, Winn Parish, LA Submitted by
Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: September 25, 1974 Winn Parish Enterprise News-American

Father of Max Maxwell Dies; Rites In Tullos
Funeral services for Johnny William Maxwell, 82, of Tullos, were held at
2
p.m. Thursday in the Tullos Baptist Church with the Revs. Coda Salter
and Calvin Phelps officiating.
Burial was in Magnolia Cemetery under the direction of Southern Funeral
Home of Winnfield.
Mr. Maxwell died at 7:15 a.m. Wednesday, September 18, 1974 in a local
hospital.
A member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Masons, Mr. Maxwell
was also an ordained deacon at the Tullos Baptist Church where he served
as Sunday School Superintendent. He was also a member of the Woodmen of
the World.
Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Katherine PENDARVIS Maxwell of Tullos,
three sons, Max William Maxwell of Winnfield, Johnny Waldo Maxwell of
Dallas, Texas, and Herbert Glen Maxwell of Beaumont, Texas; three
daughters, Mrs. Jess Allbritton of Lake Charles, Mrs. W. H. Rice, Jr.,
of Alexandria, and Mrs. Claude L. Gibson of Haynesville, 19
grandchildren, and four great grandchildren. Pallbearers were Dr. John
Gibson, W. Scott Maxwell, William Maxwell Rice, Kim Maxwell, Jamie
Maxwell, David Rice, Myron Allbritton, and Johnny William Maxwell.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obit3/maxwjw74.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: George P. Pendarvis, 1949, Winn Parish, LA
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: August 4, 1949 Winn Parish Enterprise
G. P. Pendarvis Fatally Shot By Wife In Monroe
G. P. Pendarvis, 35, of Monroe, son of Mr. and Mrs. Will Pendarvis of
below Curry Community in Winn Parish, was shot to death by his wife
shortly after midnight Wednesday morning. Pendarvis was a member of the
Monroe police force. According to the Monroe Police Chief, Pendarvis'
wife, of less than two months said she shot him because he was slapping
her. A radio report said the couple were quarreling while seated in an
automobile. Mrs. Pendarvis (nee Mayo), 25 years old, is being held in
the Ouachita Parish jail on open charges pending a coroner's inquest
scheduled Friday at 2 p.m.
Mr. Pendarvis is survived by three children of a former marriage; his
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Pendarvis of Tullos Star Route; and five sisters,
Mrs. Ernest Smith, Mrs. Vinie Long, and Mrs. Verda Long, all of Tullos,
Mrs. Albert McMurry of Goodpine, and Mrs. Bedean Lavaspear of Texas.
Burial will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at the Magnolia Cemetery.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obit3/pendg249.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituary: Rev Hines H. Stilley, Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana Submitted
by Don Johnson,
Obituary published in The Advocate on: 7/17/98

STILLEY, THE REV. HINES H.
Went home to be with the Lord Wednesday, July 15, 1998. He was 94, born
March 25, 1904. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lela Salassi
Stilley; father, John Warren Stilley; mother, Alice PENDARVIS Stilley;
three brothers, Murphy, George and John R. Stilley; four sisters, Lily
Bankston, Annie Jenkins, Eva Bankston and Sadie Ashford. The Rev.
Stilley graduated from Louisiana Baptist College and preached in many
Baptist churches throughout Louisiana before retiring. He taught school
at the Acadia Baptist Academy in the 1930s and in the late 1940s. He is
survived by two sons, Leon C. Stilley, Greenwell Springs, and John
Warren Stilley, Independence; two daughters-in-law, Athlea Goodwin
Stilley and Nancy Jones Stilley; seven grandchildren, 11
great-grandchildren and a great-great-grandchild. The Rev. Stilley also
worked as a pipefitter with Plumbers & Steamfitters Union Local No. 198
and was a successful cattle farmer in his later years. He was past
master of the Independence Masonic Lodge No. 458, F&AM, Royal Arch
Mason, Arch Templar St. Paul's Commandery No. 27, Eastern Star, and a
member of New Hope Baptist Church. Visitation at Harry McKneely & Son
Funeral Home, Hammond, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, with Masonic services
at 7 p.m. Further visitation at New Hope Baptist Church, Independence, 8
a.m. until religious services at 10 a.m. Saturday. Interment in Bankston
Cemetery, 4th Ward.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/tangipahoa/obits/stilleyh.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Clem Pendarvis, 1928, Winn Parish, LA
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: October 25, 1928 Winn Parish Enterprise
Clem Pendarvis Killed
Accidental Discharging of Gun Causes Death of Winn Parish Man
The death of Clem Pendarvis, 39 years old, resident of Ward Two, Winn
Parish, at the home of his brother, Troy Pendarvis, in the eastern part
of Winn Parish, Saturday morning, was declared accidental by Coroner
Fittz. It is said that Pendarvis had attended a dance at the home of
Troy Pendarvis Saturday night, and that he was killed when he
accidentally kicked a single barrel 12 gauge shotgun, which was loaded
with squirrel shot, as he started out of the home of his brother. The
hammer of the gun struck the steps, causing the gun's discharge. The
full load entered Pendarvis' thigh. Within fifteen minutes, Pendarvis
was dead from the loss of blood. He is survived by his widow and five
children.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obit2/pndrvs28.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituary of Paul B. Lavespere, LaSalle Parish, Louisiana
Copied and Submitted by :Kathy LeMay Kelly, P.O. Box 219, Trout, La.
71371
Wednesday, January 6, 1999
Many Thanks to The Times - Signal for allowing the following to be added
to the Archives.
Paul B. Lavespere
Paul B. Lavespere, 92, of Tullos, died Wednesday, December 30, 1998, in
Hardtner Medical Center of Urania. He was a native of Marco and a
charter member and deacon of Calvary Baptist Church for 38 years. He was
a retired crane operator. Services were held at 2 p.m., Friday, Jan. 1,
in Calvary Baptist Church west of Tullos with Rev. Douglas Allen
officiating. Burial Followed in Calvary Cemetery under direction of
Southern Funeral Home of Winnfield.
Survivors include his wife, Bedddeau PENDARVIS Lavespere of Tullos; one
son, Buford Lavespere of Bossier City; one daughter, Jimmie Whatley of
Pineville; and three grandchildren. Pallbearers were C. A. McCartney,
Doug Winberry, Chad McCartney, Eddie Comeaux, Willie Butler, and Bobby
Hutto. http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/lasalle/obits/l111.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Troy Pendarvis, 1960, Winn Parish, LA.
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: August 19, 1960 Winn Parish Enterprise News-American
Last Rites For Troy Pendarvis Held August 17
Funeral services for Troy Pendarvis, 69, were held at 2 p.m. Wednesday,
August 17, 1960, at the Crossroads Baptist Church, Tullos Highway.
Burial was in Magnolia Cemetery under direction of Edmonds Funeral Home
of Jonesboro.
Mr. Pendarvis, a retired farmer, died at his home on the Tullos Highway,
Winn Parish, Monday night after a lengthy illness. He was a lifelong
resident of that area.
Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Lois Pendarvis, Star Route, Tullos;
two daughters, Mrs. Clara Galle and Mrs. Lillie Parker, both of Biloxi,
Miss.; one sister, Mrs. Dixie Owens of Tullos; two brothers, Will
Pendarvis and Henry Pendarvis, both of Tullos, and four grandchildren.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obit2/pendar60.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituary of Ida Ethel Pendarvis, LaSalle Parish, Louisiana
Copied and Submitted by :Kathy LeMay Kelly, P.O. Box 219, Trout, La.
71371
>From The Jena Times - Olla Tullos Signal;
Micro Film at the LaSalle Parish Library, Located in Jena, LaSalle
Parish, La. Wednesday, September 3, 1980
Many Thanks to The Times - Signal for allowing the following to be added
to the Archives.
Mrs. Ida Pendarvis died Friday
Mrs. Ida Ethel Pendarvis, 82, of Tullos, died Friday, August 29, 1980 at
the St. Francis Cabrini Hospital in Alexandria.
Services were held at 4 p.m. on Sunday at the Calvary Baptist Church
near Tullos with Rev. Norris Curry officiating.
Burial followed at the Magnolia Cemetery of Tullos with arrangements by
Hixson Brothers Inc. of Jena.
Survivors include five daughters, Mrs. Bobby Kendrick of Jena, Mrs.
Earlene Morrow and Mrs. Violet Waxley, both of Tullos, Mrs. Clovis
Sherman of Monroe and Mrs. Sylvia Peavey of Tullos; a sister, Mrs. Elma
Miles of Urania; two brothers, Eugene Weems of Keithville, La. and Silas
Weems of Jena; 20 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren.
Pallbearers were Sam Lindsey, Sonny Lindsey, Buck Jordan, Bill Dunn, Sam
Carver and S. O. Capps.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/lasalle/obits/p132.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PENDARVIS, Margaret R. , Mrs. LCAP 11/7/1998
Funeral services for Mrs. Margaret Riling Pendarvis, 87, were held
at 2
p.m. Monday, Nov. 16, in Consolata Cemetery.
The Rev. Mike Barras officiated.
Mrs. Pendarvis died at 6:19 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 15, 1998, in a local
hospital.
A lifelong resident of Lake Charles, she was a member of Our Lady
Queen of Heaven Catholic Church and the Ladies Altar Society. Survivors
include two sisters, Gertrude Cleaton and Naomi Holloman, both of Lake
Charles; and one brother, Frank M. Riling of Lake Charles.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/calcasieu/obits/nov98.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Will Pendarvis, 1963, Winn Parish, LA.
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: October 17, 1963 Winn Parish Enterprise News-American
Will Pendarvis Dies at 87, Rites October 14
Will Pendarvis, 87, retired farmer of Winn Parish, died in a local
hospital Saturday after a long illness. He was a resident of the
eastern part of the parish near Tullos.
Last rites were conducted at the Cross Roads Baptist Church at 10 a.m.
Monday, Oct. 14, with the Rev. Willie Broadway, Rev. Charlie Christie,
and the Rev. Cody Salter officiating. Burial was in Magnolia Cemetery.
Surviving are five daughters, Mrs. Nola Smith, Mrs. Verda Long, Mrs.
Vina Long, Mrs. Vedaus Lavespeare, all of Tullos, and Mrs. Joyce McMurry
of Jena; a host of grandchildren and great grandchildren.
He also leaves one brother, Henry Pendarvis and one sister of Tullos.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obit2/willpe63.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obituaries: Ben Pendarvis, 1931, Winn Parish, LA.
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies, 120 Ted Price Lane, Winnfield, LA 71483
From: September 17, 1931 Winn Parish Enterprise
Ben Pendarvis Suicides Near Here Tuesday
Found Dead In Tourist Camp With 22 Calibre Automatic Rifle Nearby
Ben Pendarvis, about 49 years old, a native of Tullos, was found dead at
a tourist cabin just west of town Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 by the
proprietor of the filling station adjoining the camp. He was found
lying in the small house with a shot through the temple and a 32 calibre
automatic rifle nearby.
Dr. S. C. Fittz, coroner, and a coroner's jury reported that the man
came to his death by his own hands.
Four notes left by the man indicated that he was separated from his
family. The notes read, "I hate to do this but I feel like it is best.
I can't live without my family." One note was to his wife, one to his
son, one to his brother, Edward, of Houston, Texas, whose address he
gave, and one was addressed "To All."
The man only came to Winnfield last Saturday.
Relatives claimed the body Wednesday and conveyed it to Tullos, where it
was interred in the Sanders Cemetery (possibly Magnolia).
Surviving the deceased is his wife and a son, Ray Pendarvis, of Houston,
Texas; four daughters, Mrs. Willa Spurlock, Jonesboro, La., Bonnie,
Reba, and Juanita Pendarvis, who were visiting in Tullos at the time of
his death; three brothers , Edgar, Wildo, and Gene, of Houston, Texas;
and five sisters: Mrs. Minnie Liggin, Tullos, Mrs. Grace McCartney,
Rochelle, Mrs. Alva Lusk, Little Rock, Mrs. Lula Dozier, Oak Grove, and
Mrs. Katie Maxwell, Rochelle.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/winn/obits/pen442.txt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George Pendarvis, Ouachita Parish, Louisiana
Submitted by Greggory E. Davies
120 Ted Price Lane
Winnfield, LA 71483

>From the August 5, 1949 Winnfield News-American

Monroe Policeman Formerly of Winn, Shot By Young Wife

The body of George Pendarvis, 34 year old Monroe police officer and
native of Winn Parish, who was shot and killed Wednesday morning in
Monroe by his wife, was brought to the residence of his father, Will
Pendarvis, near Tullos, Thursday.
Funeral services will be conducted at the Magnolia cemetery two miles
east of Tullos at 10 a.m. Friday. Interment will follow in the
cemetery.
His wife, Ethel, 24, is being held in the parish jail as a murder
suspect. She was reported calm and quiet Wednesday night. Police said
the shooting occurred near the intersection of Jackson and Chestnut
streets when, according to Mrs. Pendarvis, she pulled the gun from her
husband's holster and shot him.
She said it was a climax of an argument during which Pendarvis had
slapped her.
H. T. Ward, Monroe police chief, said yesterday afternoon that the
"finding of an investigation will be turned over to District Attorney
Fred Fudicker, Jr., for action immediately after a coroner's inquest
slated by Dr. J. T. French for Friday at 2 p.m.
Pendarvis died in the Conway Memorial Hospital at approximately 1:05
a.m., nearly 58 minutes after the shooting. The .38 calibre bullet had
entered his right side, emerging hear his left hip. He had gotten out
of the car and fallen in an attempt to walk up the street. He was
rushed to the hospital by a fellow police officer who happened to be
returning from a movie with his wife and saw him lying in the street.
He died 25 minutes after arrival at the hospital.
Survivors are three sons, Toddy, James, and Bob, by a former wife; five
sisters, mrs. Nola Smith of Tullos, Mrs. Berda Long of Tullos, Mrs. Vina
Long of Tullos, Mrs. Joyce McMurry of Goodpine, Mrs. Debeau Lavespeare
of Orange, Tex., and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wil Pendarvis of Tullos.
(Submitted by Greggory Ellis Davies, Winnfield, Winn Parish, LA.)
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/ouachita/obits/pendarvi.txt

This thread: