PENMAN-L Archives

Archiver > PENMAN > 2004-08 > 1092945192

Subject: Re: Robert Penman probate, Oklahoma, 1919
Date: 19 Aug 2004 13:53:12 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/XS5.2ACEB/67.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Mary:

I have several Penman's that show up in my Scotland research. I have not been able to link them to a common point, however. Though I doubt there is a direct tie of my Penmans and yours, unless one goes back a long time, I provide the following---just in case.

The line of current interest is thought to be Robert Penman, md Christian Muir, son Robert christened Oct 13 1816, Cockpen, Midlothian, md Helen Nielson Jan 13, 1837, Newbattle, Midlothian, son Robert md Mary Ann McIntosh Oct 21, 1880 LaSalle County IL. Robert and Helen with family came to America arriving NY on May 9, 1863 aboard the Monarch of the Sea. The family settled in Mercer County PA, but the youngest Robert went on to IL where he married Mary Ann, before moving on to MO, KA and OK.

Then I have a Janet Penman, b March 1, 1801 in Inveresk, Midlothian, md William Duncan October 30, 1830 in Midlothian, and d May 26, 1886 and buried in LaSalle IL. It was her son Mungo Duncan that married Mary Ann McIntosh's sister Margaret.

And then there was a Jane Ramage, b 1818, Borthwick, Midlothian, married John Penman November 16, 1838 Newbattle, Midlothian. John died pre 1851, and Jane came with children to America arriving NY on the Constellation on September 3, 1854. She married a fellow passenger, widower James Snedden. James died in the Civil War. Jane and family remained in PA---Westmorland, Northumberland and Schuylkill Counties---Shenandoah, Schuylkill being her last residence.

Was going to send this off-board, but the fancy script they use for email addresses was not legible to me. If you wish to correspond further, contact me off the board and I will be happy to expand on any of the above. But I doubt we are talking the same Penmans.

Ken

This thread: