PENNA-DUTCH-L Archives

Archiver > PENNA-DUTCH > 1996-12 > 0852068427

From: "Gary Chronister" <>
Subject: Re: ADAMS CO. CONGREGATIONS: Bermudian/Lower Bermudian
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:40:27 -0600

Dear Roxanne,
I enjoyed reading your refernce concerning the Lutheran and Reformed Union
Congregation. I have a question for you or others on the genealogy list.
I have information that states one of my early ancestors, JOHANNES
CRANESTER (possibly spelled CRONESTER or KRANESTER), and his wife, Maria
Barbara Cronester (formally Weidenbach) were among the founders and
lifelong supporters of the Lower Bermudian Lutheran (and Reformed) Church
in Latimore Township. It further states that the organization meeting was
held March 19, 1745, at the home of Heinrich Weidenbach who was Maria
Barbara Cronester's father. My information goes on to say that Johannes
was a Deacon (Vorsteher) of the Lutheran congregation. Johannes evidently
died 1/30/1782 and is buried in the Churchyard at Lower Bermudian.

Can you or others provide any references that substantiate any of this
information?
I am also confused as to the difference of the Lutheran versus "reformed"
Lutheran Church. I don't quite understand, either, the difference between
the term, "Lower Bermudian". Any personal response or on-line information
to help clarify this would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance. This is a great service!!
Sincerely,
Gary L. Chronister
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

----------
> From: Roxanne Eckenrode <>
> To: PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH genealogy list
<>
> Subject: ADAMS CO. CONGREGATIONS: Bermudian/Lower Bermudian
> Date: Monday, December 30, 1996 10:50 PM
>
> EXCERPTED FROM THE FOLLOWING SOURCE: "Pastors and People, Vol. I: Pastors
> and Congregations," by Charles H. Glatfelter, 1980. German Lutheran and
> Reformed Churches in the Pennsylvania Field, 1717-1793.
>

> LUTHERAN AND REFORMED UNION CONGREGATION
>
> LOCATION OF CONGREGATION: Latimore township (then Huntington) in the
> Bermudian settlement about seventeen miles north of the Conewago
settlement.

> DATE OF FOUNDING USED BY THE CONGREGATIONS: 1745
>
> SOME FOUNDING MEMBERS MENTIONED: Henrich WEIDEN
> Johannes ASPER, Sr.
> Jacob HEENS
>
> TRUSTEES IN 1793: Jacob COMLY
> John FICKES
> George ASPER
> Felix DIEHL
> George HERMAN
>

> Union ended in 1871 when the Reformed purchased a lot across the road
from
> the old church and in 1873 dedicated their own church.
>
> LUTHERAN PASTORS INCLUDED: Helfrich SCHAUM (1748-1753)
> George BAGER (1753-1758)
> Lucas RAUS (1748-1774)
> Jacob GOERING (1776-1783)
> Frederick SCHAEFER (1785-1790)
>
> REFORMED PASTORS INCLUDED: Jacob LISCHY (1745-1769)
> Charles BOEHME (1775-1779)
> Christopher GOBRECHT (1780-1789)
> John ERNST (1791-1804)
>
> "The Lutheran congregation is Lower Bermudian, while the Reformed is
Mount
> Olivet United Church of Christ. They are located about three and
one-half
> miles east of York Springs."

This thread: