PENNA-DUTCH-L Archives

Archiver > PENNA-DUTCH > 1997-07 > 0869945656


From: "Vee L. Housman" <>
Subject: Bender's Church,, Pt. II
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:34:16 +0100


THE PEOPLE

Without people who possess the capacity and willingness to work and to
care, a building is nothing more than logs and bricks. Thus, the real
history of Bender’s Church is found not only in the history of logs and
bricks but also in the lives of the people who have served her so
faithfully over the years.

The work of the twenty-two individuals, and their families, whose names
appeared on the
original “Articles,” is for the most part unrecorded; however, were it
not for those people, there would not be a church today called Bender’s
Evangelical Lutheran Church. We salute the people who have made this
church possible:

Wendel APPLE, Michel BAUER, Phillip BAKER, Conrad BENDER, Jacob BENDER,
Nicholas DEATRICK, Andrew FREDERICK, George GILBERT, Bernhardt GILBERT,
Jacob GREENOMIRE, George HARTZELL, Joseph HENRY, Christian CASHMAN,
Matthew GLASS, Francis KNOUSE, George KRAUL, George MEALS, Jacob MEALS,
William MEALS, Ludwig ROSENMILLER, Henry SLAYBAUGH, Caspar SNERR, and a
trustee whose name did not appear on the “Articles”--Phillip FIDLER. . .
.
Members of the 1811 congregation were:

Everharth BAUER, Conrad BENDER, Henry BENDER, John BENDER, Conrad BLANK,
Nicholas DEATRICK, Sr., Nicholas DEATRICK, Michael DEATRICK, William
DEATRICK, John DUTTERER, John EBERT, Frederick EICHOLTZ, Wilhelm
EUSONER, John GUISE, Abraham GUISE, Jacob GUISE, George HARTZELL,
Leonard HARTZELL, Henry HOOVER, Jacob HOOVER, George HUBER, Phillip
LONG, John MAUER, George MEALS, Jacob MEALS, Michael MINNICH, John
QUICKEL, Daniel REX, Christian RICE, Henry SETTLE, Henry SLAYBAUGH,
William SLAYBAUGH, Peter SLAYBAUGH, Peter SLOTHOWER and George SMYSER.

Three-fourths of the original members and six of the original trustees
were gone from the Church at the end of its first quarter century of
existence. Some undoubtedly died while others moved on to new
locations. Included among the missing names were Phillip
BAKER, Jacob BENDER, Christian CASHMAN, Phillip FIDLER, Bernhardt
GILBERT, Jacob GREENOMIRE, Francis KNOUSE, Ludwig ROSENMILLER and
others.

One of these names appears elsewhere at the turn of the century. Jacob
GREENOMIRE
was elected as one of the first three Commissioners of the newly
organized Adams County
and apparently had moved to a new location. . . .

. . . in 1811 shows the great interest of the people in their spiritual
life. New family names which appear among the list were John DUTTERER,
Frederick EICHOLTZ; Abraham, Jacob and John GUISE, George HUBER, Michael
MINNICH, John QUICKEL, Daniel
REX, Christian RICE, George SMYSER and others. . . .

In 1780, Bernhardt GILBERT became the first German to hold the office of
Constable in
Straban Township. Prior to that, in 1776, he had served as Supervisor
of Highways.
Later, in 1788, GILBERT rounded out his political experience as Overseer
of the Poor.

Members of the Bender’s congregation dominated the office of Constable
in Tyrone
Township from 1771 through 1799. During that time the office was held
every year
(except 1798) by either George HARTZELL, George MEALS, William MEALS, or
Ludwig ROSENMILLER.

HARTZELL also served as Supervisor of Highways in 1786. Other members
who served in this capacity were Christian CASHMAN and Francis KNOUSE.
In addition to the position, KNOUSE also served as Overseer of the Poor
along with ROSENMILLER, Bernhardt GILBERT and Jacob MEALS.

Other people who were early members of the Church left their mark in the
history of
Adams County. Conrad BENDER, one of the 1781 founders of Bender’s
Church, along with other members of his family--Henry, Michael and
John--founded the village of Bendersville. Bendersville was founded on
November 10, 1832 on a parcel of ground
purchased by Henry BENDER in 1819.

. . . A plaque honoring those who served in the Revolutionary War has
been placed in the
cemetery . . . . The memorial plaque contains the names of twenty-two
persons buried in
the original Church cemetery. Existing Church records show that
twenty-one of these
persons were members . . .of Bender’s Church. [Note: Those names, with
their original
spelling were: Jacob BENDER, John Henry BENDER, Nicholas DEATRICH,
Johan Nicklas DIETRICH, William DIETRICH, John DOTERY, Friedrich
EICHOLTZ, George EYSTER, William GARDNER, Bernhardt GILBERT, George
GILBERT, George HARTZEL, George HUBER, Adam MAUER, William MEALS, Johann
Samuel MIHL, Ulrich PETER, Henrich REIF, Daniel REX, Sr., George Jacob
REX, Kasper SCHNER, Jacob WIRTH.]

. . . John GARDNER, a captain who served in the War of 1812, is not
listed by name as
ever having been a member of Bender’s; however, the names of other
members of the
GARDNER family are listed in the records of the Bender’s congregation
through the years.

In the war between the states, the people of Bender’s were also
represented. Twelve
persons buried in the cemetery bear the marker of a member of the Grand
Army of the
Republic . . . . Familiar names of the Benderites such as John FIDLER,
Henry HARTZEL,
John QUICKEL, George ROTH, John and Henry WERT and John WISLER are found
among those tombstones marked with the GAR emblem.

[Note: The little booklet ends with a list of the Lutheran pastors who
served the church from 1788 to present (1981). Let me know if you are
interested in their names.]

P.S. I hope you found an ancestor or two in all the above! :-D
Vee

This thread: