PENROSE-L Archives

Archiver > PENROSE > 2000-05 > 0959742668

From: <>
Subject: Re:The Penrose Family
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:11:08 EDT

Hi, I am new to this list and am wondering how I will fit in. I am not even
sure if I can substantiate my connection to Penrose. I am working on it. I
will not include my ideas for my family for several weeks. I will be
traveling to Berks Co. where my families come from. The Leesport area. I have
done research in Chester co. and on one of my visits to the Historical Soc. I
found some information on the Penrose family and since I felt there was a
connection to one of my families I decided to copy some of it. I am going to
post a part of it tonight and will continue if there is an interest. I have
noticed that there is not much action on this web site and not many questions
answered so I hope that this will help. I did not copy the entire booklet
because I was not sure I had a connection. The papers are in the Chester
County Historical Soc. 225 North High Street West Chester, Penna. 19380

The Penrose Family of Weldrake, Yorkshire, England and of Ballykean, County
Wicklow, Ireland together with an Account of Their Known Descendants in the
British Isles and The United States Of America to the year 1961 Compiled By
George E. McCracken Ph.D., F.A.S.G. Demoines, Iowa 1961

The present study begins with an Elizabethan yeoman, Thomas Penrose, who died
at Wheldrake, Yorkshire, in the year 1572, of whom an unusually large number
of descendants have been traced to the twentieth century in both the British
Isles and the United States. It is also remarkable for international
collaboration, since the British cousins have shared their knowledge with the
compiler, so that it is hardly too much to say that without this
collaboration, the present study could not have been produced at all.
The American branch stems entirely from a Robert Penrose of the seventh
generation, born in 1673 in County Wicklowm, Ireland, who migrated to
Pennsylvania in the year 1717.
There was, however, also in Pennsylvania from about 1700 onward another
Penrose family which begins with the shipwright Bartholomew
Penrose(1674-1711), a native of Bristol in Gloucestershire, son of another
Bartholomew Penrose of Bristol, who was in turn the son of a Captain Thomas
Penrose, originally of Foey, Cornwall, who served as a commander in the
navies of both Oliver Cromwell and Charles II. While the immediate
descendants of Bartholomew Penrose were not so numerous as those of Robert
Penrose, they ultimately made a deep impression on the life of the
Commonwealth even to the twentieth century. There can be no doubt that both
Robert Penrose and Bartholomew Penrose derive their name, if not also their
blood, from the well-known Penrose family of Cornwall, but it is certain that
their relationship, if any, was very distant and has not been discovered, nor
is it likely that it will be discovered in the future, given the present
state of the records. In compiling the present account the Bartholomew
Penrose family has been investigated only for the purpose of making certain
that descendants of the two immigrant ancestors can be correctly
distinguished. That in the following pages the two lines have been kept
separate is quite certain.
How Thomas Penrose, bearer of a Cornish name, came to be living in Yorkshire
is a mystery not yet solved. The name was, however, not unknown in Yorkshire
from 1569 onward to 1700, and records of various Penroses in Yorkshire during
this period have been gathered and studied. In a large number of instances,
however, it has been impossible to show a proved connection between Thomas
Penrose of Wheldrake and these people. Some or even all of these Penroses may
have been related to our Thomas, but in view of the circumstances it is
better to be cautious.
In most American genealogies it is customary to begin the generation
indicators with the immigrant ancestor and to show the English generations by
alphabetical symbols in reverse, but in this case, since so large a number of
the persons shown never came to America at all, we begin with the earliest
known generation in England.
There remains to be mentioned a precious document, a copy of which was made
available by Mr. Denis Penrose. In the mid-eighteenth century one of the
Irish Penroses made a contact with Penrose kinsmen then living in Yorkshire,
specifically with one Richard Savage of Wheldrake whose mother had been a
Penrose, and who wrote to his Irish cousin a letter which has been preserved,
at least in a copy, to this day. The letter contains a transcript of the
Penrose christenings found in the Wheldrake registers by Savage, and these
have been utilized throughout the study. As the copy now reads, there is also
an interpolation inserted after 1764 by some Irish Penrose which provides
information not available to Savage in 1742. In the transcript below, we have
omitted both the christenings and the interploation, as the information
contained in them is taken into account in the narrative.
Friend. This is a true copy of the Register belonging to the parish of
Wheldrake, from the year 1603 to the year 1666. [Here follow the christenings
of 41 Penroses, including three sets of twins, and also the interpolation.]
Friend please to observe that John son of John born in the year 1605, was
father to one[our?] mother mentioned in the last 3 Lives. I am Richard Savage
now living in Wheldrake, Son of Catherine, daughter of John Penrose. William
Hotham now living in Storpeate two miles from Wheldrake is son of Elizabeth
daughter of John Penrose. Grace is now living in Gainsborough 30 miles from
York and hath one daughter called Anne Clarke. As for the place you call
Wolverton we know nothing of, but there is a place called Alverton[now
Elvington] on the other side of the River Derwent whither I sent to examine
the register, but there is no such name as Penrose present, for John son of
John, having been an extravagant man, would have spent all if he could, but
his wife's friends prevented him by getting it made fast to his children,
which in some of them is since improved. Wheldrake, 5 miles from York
July 9th 1742
I am your friend
Richard Savage
An attempt has been made to see whether this Richard Savage could have been
the man of that name who was a well-known poet then living, but is seems
highly improbable that the two Richard Savages were identical.
I HAVE OMITTED ELEVEN PAGES OF GENEALOGIES AND START WITH A ROBERT PENROSE
DUE TO THE FACT THESE ARE THE ONES I HOPE TO FIND A CONNECTION TO. I WILL BE
COPYING THE REST WHEN I GO TO PA IN JUNE.
107 Robert Penrose second child and second son, tanner, born in Ireland,
probably at Clanmaning, 11 March 1697/8, died in Richland Township, Bucks
County, Pennsylvania, 25 May 1774, founder of the Richland Penroses. he did
not come to America in 1717 with his parents but brought a Dublin certificate
calling him Robert Penrose Jr. dated 10 May 1721, which he deposited at
Philadelphia, 25 May 1724. he was probably the second of the two Robert
Penroses who took certificates from Philadelphia to Darby as stated above in
his father's sketch. As a wife is mentioned in this connection, he must have
had one unknown to his descendants. What became of her and whether she had
children is unknown, but at Springfield Meeting in what is now Delaware
County, he marries 13 Sept. 1733, when he was age 33, secondly, a young woman
fourteen years his junior, Mary Heacock, born 26 May 1712, died 2 March 1795,
daughter of Jonathan Heacock by his wife Ann Till, whose ancestors on both
sides are well described by Clarence Vernon Roberts, Warly Friends Families
of Upper Bucks (Phila. 1925), pp. 396-415, which also contains an excellent,
though not complete, account of the descendants of this couple. He signed at
Maiden Creek on 21 May 1735 the marriage certificate of his brother Joseph
and so did his wife.
113 Joseph Penrose was born in Ireland, according to James Ronald Penrose's
chart at Munnef, according to the Memorial cited hereafter, at Munduff, 21
Aug. 1709, died at Maiden Creek, Berks County, Pa., 2 March 1791 in his 82nd
year. He married at Maiden Creek, at a public meeting in the Meeting House
there, 21 May 1735, Sarah Wily or Wiley, daughter of Joseph Wiley. The
marriage certificate is signed by both Joseph and Sarah Penrose[the couple],
and then in the customary form from right to left and from top to bottom by
the following witnesses: Robert Penrose[groom's father], Jos. Wily[brides
father], Mary Penrose [grooms mother], Abigail Wily [brides mother?], Robert
PenroseJr. [grooms brother], William Penrose[grooms brother], Richard Penrose
[brooms brother], Mary Penrose [wife of Robert Jr.], Phebe Penrose [grooms
sister], Ann Wily [grooms sister?], John Wily [husband of Ann and possibly
bride's brother?], and by Thos Ellis, Sismore Wright, Jacob Holco[m]be,
Frances Parvin, Thomas Parvin, the last five not clearly related. Joseph
Penrose left a will dated 22 Aug. 1784, probated 6 May 1791 (BerksWills
3:171), mentioning son Isaac Penrose; beloved wife Sarah Penrose( 6 pounds
yearly); daughter in law Elizabeth Penrose, widow of son Joseph Penrose
deceased, and his children; land on the south side of the great road from
Reading to Easton [athwart which lies Maiden Creek Township]; daughter
Abigail and husband George Rush, property for six years from 24 Jan. 1784;
daughter Sarah Reed and heirs 5 pounds [sic]; daughter Phebe 50 pounds [sic];
daughter Mary 50 pounds[sic], both obviously unmarried; beloved wife
executrix and son Isaac Penrose executor; signed, not by mark; witnesses:
John Hutten, Owen Hughes, Penrose Wiley [a grandson?]. See Morton L.
Montgomery, History of Berks County (Phila. 1886) 1022. Exeter Monthly
Meeting Minutes (d19, p. 364) contain a Memorial for Joseph Penrose dated 24
Sept. 1794 which was to be forwarded to the Quarterly Meeting, as follows:
"He was born at Munduff in Ireland the 21st day of the 6th Month, 1709 and
when young came to Pennsylvania with his parents, Robert and Mary Penrose.
And after some years, having settled at Maiden Creek, a branch of this
Monthly Meeting, where through the early Extendings of Devine Love and a
concern to improve the talent committed to his Trust, he became qualified for
weighty services in the Church; filling up the stations of Overseer and Elder
with circumspection and Christian gravity. He was often successful in his
Endeavors to compose Differences (among Friends) being of an affectionate and
winning Disposition, cheerful and loving in Deportment, plain and pertinent
in Expression.... Few have been more generally beloved than he was by all
ranks of People with in the circles of his Acquaintance, so that we believe
he in good degree experienced the saying of David 'When a man's ways please
the Lord he maketh even his Enemies t be at peace with him.' He was afflicted
with a paralytic Disorder some years before his decease which nearly disabled
him... which circumstances (though trying) he bore with patience and
resignation, and seemed to be waiting for his Dissolution ... which was on
the Second day of the Third Month, 1791, in the eightysecond year of his age.
He was attended by many Friends and Neighbors to our Burying Ground at Maiden
Creek.
I HAVE TWO MORE ENTRIES THAT OF A WILLIAM PENROSE AND RICHARD PENROSE. I WILL
TRY TO SEND THEM TOMORROW. PEGGY

This thread: