PEPPER-L Archives

Archiver > PEPPER > 2007-08 > 1188531070

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [PEPPER] Samuel Pepper b.1725?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:31:10 GMT

I also have some info. on John Pepper born 1750, married to Elizabeth Oldham.

Source: Peppertree internet site maintained by Jack Pepper.
In 1774, a petition was signed in Fauquier County, VA, requesting that the petitioners be permitted to worship as Baptists. At that time (prior to the American Revolution), the official church was the Church of England. Among the signers were a Samuel PEPPER, a John PEPPER, two Richard OLDHAMs, a John OLDHAM and an Alexander HOLTON. John PEPPER recorded three deeds to property in Caswell County, NV prior to 1780. One of the deeds stated that John was from Guilford, County. He was on the tax rolls of St. David's District of Caswell County in 1777 with an estate valued at 110 pounds. He had a land grant to 500 acres on Stoney Creek in Caswell County dated 1 Oct 1778. Description of the properties indicated that the adjoining landowners were OLDHAMs. Family records of the OLDHAM family reveal that Richard OLDHAM married Ann PEPPER and that Elizabeth OLDHAM married "Mr. Pepper in North Carolina." John is the only PEPPER found to be living near the OLDHAMs , and Elizabet!
h PEPPER is listed on the 1850 census for Anderson County, SC in the household of Ruth BENNETT. This seems to provide sufficient evidence that it was our John that married Elizabeth OLDHAM. John sold his NC property in the early 1780s and was in the Pendleton District of SC in 1790. He was a charter member of the Big Springs Primitive Baptist Church near Williamston, now in Anderson County, SC. He is said to have given the property for the church, which is borne out by the quit claims signed by his children in the 1830s. His will was signed 25 Jan 1816 and proved 4 Mar 1816. It is recorded in Will Book A, page 186, in Anderson County, SC. The Battles of Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, King's Mountain, Camden, and other battles of the Revolutionary War, took place while John was living in the Caswell/Guilford area of NC. Most of the OLDHAMs, who were his brothers-in-law and neighbors, are found in the official records as having participated in some of these battles. !
There had been much speculation about John's military records!
, but it
was not until late in 1980 that a connection was established. A letter to Miss Nina Pepper from Mrs. Lavada Smith, Route 2, Smithdale, MS 39664, provided the following news: "This info has been accepted by DAR. They passed the John Pepper War Record form NC and refused the record from SC, which I had previously sent in , therefore, since 6 Nov 1978 I have been searching for our John Pepper. The info I am giving you was accepted by DAR so the line has been established. Our John Pepper has a record recorded in a manuscript Volume in the custody of the State Archives of NC dated 3 Oct 1785, Certificate No. 25, a pay voucher certificate to John Pepper for 18 pounds and 4 shillings for service during the Revolution, dated 29th day of Sept. 1783. They accepted this and that completed my two years of searching. I think they are correct. Note that Samuel was born 19 May 1779 in NC, his wife Ann Harper was born in NC, Ruth Pepper was born in1776 in NC, so one would think th!
at after the War they moved to SC and that John served from the State of NC, not SC. If there are members of the Pepper family who would like to use John Pepper as a supplement, they are welcome to use my National No. 6230262. When you check your records I think you have most of what I have given you except that they took the John Pepper from NC."

3-9-05 from DAR papers
Birth date of John is 1755. Place of birth (South West Virginia), place of death is stated as Pendleton District, SC. Having him living a St. David's District, Caswell Co., NC during the Revolutionary War.
Children named in his will:
Ruther Pepper, b. 1776, spouse Thomas Bennett
Samuel Pepper, b. 19 May 1779, spouse Ann Harper
William Pepper
Elijah Pepper, b. 1788, spouse Sarah Breazeale
John Pepper, b. 1793, spouse Elizabeth
Fanny Pepper, b. about 1782, spouse James Halbert
Mary (Polly) Pepper, spouse Eli Garner
Jesse Pepper, b. 15 July 1795, spouse Mrs. Matilda Moon Payne
Elisah Pepper, b. 1798, spouse Jane Clark
Elizabeth (Betsy) Pepper, b. between 1800 and 1802, spouse George Thomas Anderson
References stated in DAR papers:
US Census 1830, Anderson County, SC
US Census 1840, Choctaw Co., Miss.
US Census 1850 Potomac Co., Miss.
Will of John Pepper, Anderson County Wills, Volume 1, Section A, pages 203-204 (in the South Carolina Archives, Columbia, SC).
US Census 1790 Pendleton Co., SC
US Census 1800, Pendleton District, SC
US Census 1810, Pendleton District, SC. (John Pepper)
US Census 1820 Pendleton District, SC (Elizabeth Pepper, widow of John Pepper).
Patriot, paid for good or services rendered.
Source: North Carolina Revolutionary Army Accounts, (Vol. IX, Page 07, Folio 1)
(in the custody of the NC state Archives)
Hillsborough, Treasury Office
Date: 3 October 1785
Bundle number: 48
Certificate No. 25

DAR
Through Elisha Pepper, son of John Pepper
same references but also including:
Mary Pepper - Marriage record of James Benjamin Burgess and Mary Pepper, Tallapoosa Co., AL 29 Dec. 1869
Obituary of James Bengamin Burgess 24 Nov. 1933 Lawrence Co., AL
Obituary of Mary (Pepper) Burgess 27 June 1931
Death certificate of Mary Burgess giving names of parents
1900 Census Lawrence Co. AL
Marriage record of William Pepper and Elizbeth Crawford 3 Dec. 1840, Pike Co., GA
US Census 1860 Tallapoosa Co., AL
1870 Census
Will of John Pepper, Anderson Co., Vol. 1, Bk A, p 203-=204 - SC.

>From H. Bonnell Family Tree
Name: John Samuel Pepper
Birth: 1750 in Prince William Virginia
Death: Feb. 1816 i Anderson, South Carolina
Married Elizabeth Oldham born in 1756 in Fauquier, Virginia
Married: 1776 in Rockingham, Guilford, North Carolina

August 25, 2001 email
Two books on Pepper: Florence Pepper Raya: THE HISTORY OF THE PEPPER FAMILY IN AMERICA AND ALLIED LINES, 1973. It is at the Family History Libraries available on film. This does contain some on Claude Pepper line.
William Bernard Wilson: WILSON-PEPPER GENEALOGY 1595 - 1989; Gateway Press, Inc. Baltimore, MD 1990.

Jeannie Pepper

-- wrote:
Hi,

You indicated that you are tracing John Pepper b.1749, I am tracing his
youngest sibling Jesse Pepper b.1767. Do you have any definite information
on
their father Samuel Pepper b.1725 in Prince William Co., VA?

Thanks for any information.

C. Pepper