PERKINS-L Archives

Archiver > PERKINS > 1997-10 > 0877551700

From: <>
Subject: Perkins: from Henry, Eng 1400's to Gail, 1969 Illinois
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:21:40 -0400 (EDT)

Here are all my Perkins in case you are connected with us. I would appreciate
any other info anyone has.

My earliest Perkins were from Hillmorton, England with the first immigrant
ancestors, John and Judith Gater Perkins who arrived on the Lion (Lyon) in
1631and lived in Ipswich, MA. Then we have their son Jacob and Elizabeth
Whipple (not Lovell) Perkins, and their son Jacob and Elizabeth Sparks
Perkins; The all lived in Ipswich until son Jacob and who married Anna
Littlefield in 1717 in New Hampshire and moved to Wells, Maine.
This Jacob and Anna Perkins had some ten children - Lydia, Sparks, Sarah,
Elisha, Josiah, Newman, Stephen, David, Jacob and my ancestor, Anna Perkins,
baptised in Wells, Maine in 1741. Anna had a son, Jesse Perkins, born abt
1741 and his father is always referred to as "-- Perkins." Did Anna have
Jesse out of wedlock and give him her maiden name? Did she marry a Perkins
cousin? I have not been able to find this out. Any help anybody?

Then it gets a little complicated. When Anna's son Jesse was nine years old,
Anna married Nathaniel Taylor, a Deacon, in Wells, Maine. Nathaniel had a
daughter, Eunice, by his previous marriage to Jerusha Goodwin. When Eunice
and Jesse grew up, they married, intention recorded in 1793 at Wells,
Maine,and they had my 3rd great grandfather, George Kames Perkins, who was
born in 1808 in Wells, Maine.

George Kames Perkins attended Amherst College. According to the Amherst
biography, he taught in Penn. and Kentucky and studied law in KY. He also
married Elizabeth Ophelia Catherine Gray in 1839 in Greensburg, KY and was
admitted to the bar there. He also became a Presbyterian minister and
travelled to Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky to set up churches., and he and
Elizabeth began a family.
My great grandfather Leonidas Cam(Campbell or Camuel) Perkins was probably
born in Alabama or Tennessee , and later travelled to Illinois where he
married Eliza Jane "Jennie" Upton in 1870 in White County, IL. The other
children of Rev. George and Elizabeth O. Perkins are Havana E. who married
David Woods in Decatur, Alabama; H. John who married Mollie; Bertha Perkins
married R.S. Nunn; Mollie Perkins m. --Carver; and Fanny Perkins m S. O.
Nunn. My great grandfather, Leonidas Cam Perkins and Jennie Upton had ten
children, including my grandmother Gail Perkins, all born in McLeansboro,
White County, Illinois.

I would be interested in any information on the Hillmorton, England Perkins
as well as discovering the real story about Jesse Perkins paternity. And I
would be happy to hear from anyone who is related to any of these lines and
will share whatever information I have.

Glo Gates

This thread: