PERTHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > PERTHSHIRE > 2003-02 > 1045016618

From: "Gordon A Troup" <>
Subject: [PERTH] 1851 CENSUS - JOHN SIM SANDS 1798-1866
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:23:38 -0700

Hello Everyone
I'm a newcomer to the list and am hoping someone can help me out in trying
to locate JOHN SIM SANDS, 52 in the 1851 census. John was born in Alyth to
ROBERT SANDS 1765-1814 but was presumably raised by a MR. SIM in
COUPAR ANGUS, where he apprenticed as a writer. J S Sands moved to ARBROATH
around 1823, working both as a writer (lawyer) and as an editor of two
Arbroath papers 1836-41. Sometime around 1844 he moved to PERTH and he
later died in TIBBERMORE in 1866.
I'm having a devil of a time gathering information on J S Sands, his mother
(name unknown) was the daughter of a prominent GLASITE minister so there are
no OPR marriage records for her and Robert Sands or baptismal records for
their two sons, John and Robert. J S Sands as an adult was a member of the
EPISCOPALIAN church, married to CHRISTIAN ANDERSON 1804-1882, together they
had 9 children including JOHN SANDS 1826-1900, sometime Member of Parliament
for ORMISTON.
If anyone has ready access to the 1851 census index for TIBBERMORE or other
parishes
in or near PERTH could they please check for:
JOHN SIM SANDS 52 born Alyth
CHRISTIAN SANDS or ANDERSON 47 born Arbroath
and family
Thanks in advance
Gordon

This thread: