PETRIE-SCOTLAND-L Archives

Archiver > PETRIE-SCOTLAND > 2002-08 > 1029801393

From: "Norma Thain" <>
Subject: [Petrie-Scotland] Kate Brial - William Petrie & Isabel Davidson of Banchory-Devenick
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:56:33 +0100

Hello Kate,

I had a look through the database for further information for you.......

I have the details of their marriage in 1778 and 6 children as you have from
the IGI,
and I find I have also transcribed the death certificate for their daughter
Catherine and 2 of her brothers... Here are the details :

Death Certificate Transcription
Ref: 1860 St. Nicholas, ABERDEEN (168-1) Page 148 Entry 442
(source Scottish Records Office)

CATHERINE TAYLOR
Wife of a House Carpenter Journeyman
died 31 March 1860 at 7.00 pm
at 5 Park Lane, Aberdeen
age 67 years

Parents:
WILLIAM PETRIE - Meal Miller - deceased
ISOBEL PETRIE ms DAVIDSON - deceased

Cause of Death:
Debility etc (for a month)

Buried at Churchyard of Old Machar

Death registered by PETER TAYLOR - Husband
on 02 April 1860 @ Aberdeen

**********

Death Certificate
Ref: 1856 BANCHORY & DEVENICK (231) Entry 20
(source Scottish Records Office)

WILLIAM PETRIE
Married
73 years old
died 14 May 1856 at 5.30 am
at Badentoy

Parents:
WILLIAM PETRIE - Miller - deceased
ISABEL DAVIDSON - deceased

Cause of Death:
Disease of Kidney & Bladder (4 years)

Buried at Old Churchyard, Maryculter

Death registered by DAVID PETRIE - Son
on 15 May 1856 @ Banchory & Devenick

***********

Death Certificate Transcription
Ref: 1856 OLD MELDRUM Page 8 Entry 23
(source Scottish Records Office)

JAMES PETRIE
Widower
died 21 April 1856 at 5.30 am
at Backhill of Chapelhouses
aged 76 years

Parents:
WILLIAM PETRIE - Miller - deceased
ISABELLA PETRIE ms DAVIDSON - deceased

Cause of Death:
Disease of Lungs (for a period unknown)

Buried at Churchyard of Tarves

Death registered by GEORGE CHRISTIE Son-in-Law
on 24 April 1856 at Old Meldrum

*******************

As you will notice from the 1856 death certificates, the spouses are not
named......
however their addresses at death provide links which you might wish to
follow up and investigate further.

JAMES PETRIE's address at death in 1856 was listed as Backhill of
Chapelhouses, Old Meldrum.

I have an 1855 marriage certificate for GEORGE PETRIE & ELIZABETH THOM,
which states his address at the time of the marriage as Backhill of
Chapelhouses ....
his parents are noted as JAMES PETRIE & CATHERINE ANDERSON

*************

I may be clutching at straws with this one...and it certainly needs further
work and investigation, but a few co-incidences are showing up :

WILLIAM PETRIE's address at death in 1856 was listed as Badentoy, Banchory &
Devenick.

The only other reference I have to the address of Badentoy, is on an 1862
Marriage Certificate of DAVID PETRIE & ANN ANDERSON they are noted as
married at Badentoy, Portlethen, Kincardine.
His parents are shown as WILLIAM PETRIE & ISOBEL COLLIE.
ISOBEL COLLIE's death in 1867 is registered by her son DAVID PETRIE of
Maryculter.

If you can establish definite connections with the above families, there is
more info available on them and their descendants....

Best regards
Norma Thain (nee Petrie)
Angus, Scotland