PEYTON-L Archives

Archiver > PEYTON > 2002-04 > 1017725827


From:
Subject: Re: John Peyton Gloucester Cty VA 1700's
Date: 1 Apr 2002 22:37:07 -0700


This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/oJABAIB/376.2

Message Board Post:

Here is some of the info I have on Sir John Peyton. I have some additonal info, but haven't entered it into my computer.

ISLEHAM: On Chapel Neck off Route 620 and bounded by Blackwater & Hampton Creeks. (Bear Rt. On Blackwater Creek at the 1st turn).
PO LOCATION: North
PRIOR NAME/S: Isleham
PRESENT OWNER: M/M John L. Roper III per MCHS file data - date unknown
PRIOR OWNER/S:
1)1682 - 1694: Major Robert Peyton (c. 1640-c. 1694) of Rougham, Norfolk, England. Robert Peyton was the grandson of Sir Edward Peyton, Bart, of Isleham, Cambridgeshire, England. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Yelverton Peyton of Rougham in Norfolk, England. Robert Peyton married (wife unknown) c. 1665, before he immigrated to VA. Robert Peyton may have come to the Colonies prior to 1675. The first know record of him in Virginia, is a land grant of 150 acres of land on Blackwater Creek dated Feb. 28, 1682/3. The 1704 Quit Rent Rolls of Kingston Parish list Robert Peyton with 680 acres. He named his estate Isleham after the Peyton estate in Cambridge, England. In 1680 he was appointed a Major in the Gloucester Co. Militia. He was also a lawyer. The known children of Major Robert Peyton are: Elizabeth (c. 1670) married Col. Peter Beverley, Thomas Peyton (c 1675) married Frances Tabb and Robert (c. 1677-c. 1746)) married Mary (widow of Abraham Long). (Notes:!
Land Grant Records at the Library of VA., Records of Colonial Gloucester County Virginia compiled by Polly Mason and Web site for the Peyton family: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marshall/esmd17.htm )
2)1694 - 1740: Thomas Peyton (c. 1675 - ?), probably born in Gloucester Co., VA to Major Robert Peyton and wife unknown. Married c. 1700 Frances Tabb, daughter of John Thomas Tabb and Martha Purefoy Hand of Elizabeth City Co., VA. Thomas was granted 110 acres of land on Blackwater Creek, June 16, 1738, after paying "15 shillings". The 1704 Quit Rent Rolls of Kingston Parish Church list Thomas Peyton with 684 acres. Thomas Peyton was a Warden of North River Parish in Gloucester Co. VA as of 11/ 25/1717. The known children of Thomas Peyton and Frances Tabb were: (Sir) John Peyton (c. 1720-3/25/1790) married 1st Frances Cooke & 2nd Mary Dick and Frances Peyton (2/21/1755-8/5/1809) married Humphrey Gwynn son of John Gwynn & Mildred Reade. (Notes: Land Grant Records at the Library of VA., Kingston Parish Vestry Book 1749-1827, Web site for the Peyton family: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marshall/esmd17.htm. and web site for Tabb family: http://www.uftree.com/UFT/WebPages/!
George-E-Tabb/Jr/TABBUSA/index.htm#toc)
3)1740 - 1813: Sir John Peyton (c. 1720 - 3/25/1790), born in Kingston Parish, Gloucester Co., VA to Thomas Peyton and Frances Tabb. "He fell heir to the title of 'Baronet' upon the death of a cousin, also John Peyton, in 1721. When he assumed the title is not known, but he was using it as early as 1756 according to several entries in the Kingston Parish Register recording the birth of his children. Married 1st Frances Cooke c. 1748/49. Married after 1786 to Mary Dick, daughter of Charles Dick and widow of James Taliaferrio. . Known children of Sir John Peyton & Frances Cooke are: Thomas (c. 1751), Frances (c. 1753), Elizabeth (2/6/1765), Mary (6/11/1758) Harriot (2/19,1761), Martha Cooke (3/13/1763), Elizabeth (2//6/1756), Henry Yelverton (5/5/1770), and Seignora (1/8/1767). Sir John Peyton and Mary Dick had one child which died in infancy … sex and name unknown. Sir John was a Col. in the Gloucester Militia in 1775; County Lt., Gloucester; 1st Lt. 3rd Va C!
L; Feb. 5, 1776; wounded at Brandywine Sept. 11, 1777. Capt. Feb. 1778; retired Sept. 14, 1778. Justice of the Peace 1776; and Sheriff 1783 - 1784. Sir John personally paid for 250 stand of arms to fortify his county troops and became known as the County Patriot. Isleham stayed in ownership until 1813 according to tax records at the Library of VA. Mathews tax records indicate Sir John with 2000 acres, 2 men, 128 negroes, 28 horses, and 120 cattle for the year 1782. The Mathews tax records of 1791 indicate Sir John Peyton Estate with 1650 acres, 68 negroes, 4 horses and 1 chair riding carriage. (Info from Revolutionary War Roster Gloucester Co. Va by Elizabeth Dutton Lewis, Kingston Parish Vestry Book 1749-1827, Tax List of Mathews Co. VA 1774-1782-1791 for Kingston Parish and the Peyton family web site: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marshall/esmd17.htm).
4)1813 - 1850: Thomas Robinson Yeatman (1/5/1789 - 8/28/1832), son of Thomas Muse Yeatman (1/5/1789-8/28/1832) of Westmoreland Co. VA. and Mary Tompkins Yeatman (1765-10 1796). Married Elizabeth Tabb Patterson daughter of Col. John Patterson (1760-1824) and Elizabeth Smith Tabb (1760-1824) of Poplar Grove plantation. Thomas Muse Yeatman moved to Gloucester Co. VA about Thomas Robinson Yeatman, having inherited his father's land in the North End Rectory next to Isleman added to his land holdings by acquiring the estate of Sir John Peyton … or perhaps his father purchased Isleham before his death.. Thomas Robinson Yeatman was a lawyer educated at William & Mary and served as . Isleham remained in Thomas R. Yeatman's estate until it was sold by a son-in-law, Josiah L. Deans, 10/11/1850, and was involved in a legal suit. Thomas R. Yeatman's portrait hangs in the Mathews County Court House.
5)1850 - 1856: Warner T. Taliaferro, Sr. of 'Belleville' purchased 'Isleham'. Built Dunham Massie adjacent to 'Belleville' for his son, William Booth Taliaferro, who was a General of CSA.
6)1856 - 1869: Warner T. Taliaferro, Jr. purchased 'Isleham' and resided there. He later moved to Norfolk, VA. and was a Virginia Legislator.
7)6/2/1869 to 7/11/1899: Dr. Benjamin William McCready of New York City, NY, bought 'Isleham' for his son, who ran The Family Magazine in NY. And raised his family on a farm in Virginia. Charles E. Miller who lived across Blackwater Creek was hired as a farm manager & married Allie, Mrs. McCready's sister from St. Helliers, N.J.
8)7/21/1899 - 5/8/1935: Charles E. Miller, Superintendent of 'Isleham' during McCready's ownership, purchased 'Isleham'.
9)5/8/1935: Mrs. Alice Louise Miller married to William E. Corr of Norfolk, VA. & died 11/25/1968. She inherited 'Isleham' from her mother, Mrs. Charles E. Miller. Mr. Corr was with the C & O Railroad in Norfolk, VA. (120 acres is noted here).
10)4/28/1969: James Tredway Spratley of Newport News, VA., Robert S. Spratley of Richmond, VA., Sarah D. Roper of Norfolk, VA. (deceased 1/1988); and John L. Roper III, of Norfolk, VA.
DATE BUILT: The present house was built sometime between 1832 and the 1850 sale of the property. Most likely it was built about 1835 - 40 according to architectural historians. The present house replaced the original house built by the Peytons sometime in the late 1600's. The foundation of this original dwelling was found when later owners ran underground water and wiring to the present pier.
BY WHOM: Unknown
SITE DESCRIPTION: The home is located on 5 acres of land and has a number of dependencies. A barn & a two-bedroom tenant house with a pier is located on Blackwater Creek and numerous ancient trees dot the land. According to the Yeatman Memoirs, most of the old Elms in the yard were planted by Sir John Peyton - or possibly by his father. The son, John, was born in 1710. In addition to the elms, a number of old Cedars line the entrance land & ten large Pecan trees grow in the yard. It was noted that "When the pecans are in season, they attract crows from all over the county. The land across Blackwater Creek has been developed into a 5 to 6 acre home site and cottages have been built along the East side of Blackwater Creek. The working grain farm has over 70 acres of cultivatable open land which our farmers, Robert Respress, Sr. & Jr. plant and harvest corn, soy beans and wheat yearly. In addition to the farm land, Isleham also has 24 acres of oyster land in Blackwa!
ter Creek.
ARCHITECTURAL DETAILS: Two & one-half story Colonial style dwelling with two brick chimneys, 4 fireplaces, & wood frame & siding.
ADDITIONS: There have been two additions, one a single-story, 12' x 16' kitchen and the other a two-story bedroom addition. The roof of the main house is wood shingle which was replaced in 1986.
OUTBUILDINGS: There is a "very old" vegetable/dairy house (18' x 18'), a smoke house (also 18' x 18'), two garages with tool house and laundry, potato house (4' x 6") on stilts with a wood shingle roof, boat house & pier.
PART OF EARLY GRANT: Robert Peyton granted 150 acres, Feb. 28, 1682/3. Thomas Peyton granted 110 acres, June 16, 1738.
CEMETERY ON SITE: There was a cemetery, on a point almost across the North River from Toddsbury. When the property was developed in 1959, the tombstones were moved to Ware Episcopal Church in Gloucester, VA. The Vestry of Ware Episcopal Church gave the Joseph Bryan Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities a section of the cemetery to place the stones of Thomas Robinson Yeatman (1789-1832), Thomas Muse Yeatman (1762-1812), Mary Tompkins Yeatman (1765-1796), Ellen Yeatman (1826-1829), Thomas Robinson, Jr. (1820-1836), Linnaeus Speed Yeatman (1822-1829), Elizabeth Tabb Patterson Yeatman (1796-1868) and Felix Thomas Sharples (1786-183?) Sharples was an artist who died while visiting the Yeatman family.
HISTORY: The following account of the family is from "Mathews History from 1791."
Sir John Peyton married a woman named Frances in about 1750. Her maiden name is unknown. "He fell heir to the title of 'Baronet' upon the death of a cousin, also John Peyton, in 1721. When he assumed the title is not known. That he was using it as early as 1756 is indicated by an entry in the Kingston Parish Register recording the birth of a daughter. Among the children of Sir John and Frances Peyton was Frances Peyton, born circa 1754 who married John Tabb, of Amelia County. They were grandparents of the poet-priest John Banister Tabb. Another daughter Harriet Peyton, born February 19, 1761, married Thacker Washington, great-grandson of Colonel John Washington of Highgate, Gloucester County.
The mother of these children, Frances Peyton died in June 1778. Her death was reported in the Virginia Gazette on June 5, 1778 as the wife of Sir John Peyton, 'who shone with distinguished lustre in every domestic character, and during life exhibited a bright example of the virtues which adorn the Christian'
After her death Sir John married Mary Dick, of Fredericksburg, whose first husband had been Commissary of Governor Dinwiddie during the French & Indian Wars. They became the parents of one son, another John Peyton, who was the father of Rebecca Courtenay Peyton, who married Edward Carrington Marshall, a son of Chief Justice John Marshall.
Sir John was appointed a Colonel in the Gloucester Militia on April 14, 1781. He pledged his entire fortune to purchase for Virginia 200 stand of arms from Isaac and Adam VanBibber and Company of Baltimore and it was some years before the State of Virginia reimbursed him, causing him to fall into severe financial difficulty. As late as 1783, two years after the end of hostilities, Thomas Lomax wrote Governor Monroe requesting him to obtain a warrant for money due Sir John Peyton for arms purchased of VanBibber. In the meantime Sir John had suffered considerable inconvenience and embarrassment.
He became sheriff of Gloucester County in 1782 - 1783. As was the custom, deputies were appointed to collect the taxes, and his deputies, Royston and Duval, either failed to collect them or misused the funds. As a result of their failure in collecting and accounting for taxes for these two years suit was brought by the State of Virginia against Sir John, and judgment was secured on June 11, 1784 in the amount of $851.54 pounds.
The matter had not been settled by 1790 when on December 25th of that year the Virginia General Assembly passed an Act requiring the public sale of the slaves of Sir John's deputies and then such of his slaves as would cover 'the balance of his delinquency.' To the end Sir John protested his personal innocence. He was ready to make oath that he had 'never speculated in State securities, or used the money of the State in any way whatever.' Due to the destruction of records, there appears to be no account of the condition into which the estate fell following the sale of the slaves."









This thread: