PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2000-05 > 0958922324

From: "Walt Stock" <>
Subject: RE: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] re: 1870 Census
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 11:18:44 -0400

In 1870, two census were taken, one at the regular time (in the summer), one later, around October-November because of claims of fraud, miscounting, etc.

The first enumeration is indexed (in paper). Many large genealogical collections have this index. There is no Soundex to either the first or second enumeration in 1870.

Wards were divided up into districts in 1870. To complicate matters, there were slight changes between the district boundaries on the first and second enumeration. Maps showing the district boundaries for the second enumeration are at the Free Library of Philadelphia Map Dept. Written descriptions of the boundaries for the second enumeration are available on microfilm.

In the first enumeration, street numbers and names were NOT shown. They were shown for most entries in the second enumeration.

There is no index to the second enumeration.

What to do? Find the family in the first enumeration index. Look at the first enumeration census pages on microfilm and make a note of the district number; it's on the top of the page. Find the family in Philadelphia city directories of 1870-71. Put them in a district for the second enumeration. Get the second enumeration on microfilm and (1) find the district (2) find the street address by scanning the pages rapidly (the street name is written across the top of the page, the numbers down the left side).

If you can find the family on the first enumeration but not on the second and you can't find them in the city directories, try this: go back to the first enumeration and make a list of the five heads of household above and below the entry of interest. Then lookup those ten names in the 1870-71 city directories. The names will cluster around one city block or two. Put them in a district for the second enumeration. Get the second enumeration on microfilm and (1) find the district (2) find the street address by scanning the pages rapidly (the street name is written across the top of the page, the numbers down the left side).

Walt