PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1033395065

From: Jason S Colflesh <>
Subject: Re: [PHILLY-ROOTS-L] Wernle in City Directories
Date: 30 Sep 2002 10:11:05 -0400

On the topic of what Bdg stood for:

GOPSILL'S PHILADELPHIA CITY DIRECTORY. 1885.

ABBREVIATIONS.

Av, for Avenue; al, alley; ass'n, Association; bel, below; Bdg,
Bridesburg; Bln, Bustleton; C H, Chestnut Hill; com mer, commission
merchant; c, corner; ct, court; E, east; Fkd, Frankford; furn'g,
furnishing; gds, goods; Gtn, Germantown; Hville, Hestonville, Hbg,
Holmesburg; Ktn av; Kensington av; la, lane; Ltd, Limited; mkr, maker,;
Montg'y, Montgomery; Moyam'g, Moyamensing; Myk, Manayunk; Mt A, Mount
Airy; Mt Vernon, Mount Vernon; n, near; N Town, Nicetown; N, north; opp,
opposite; Passy'k av, Passyunk avenue; pl, place; pres, president;
Pville, Paschalville; r, rear; R Sun, Rising Sun; rd, Road; Roxb,
Roxborough; RR, railroad; sec, secretary; Schyl, Schuylkill; soc,
society; S, south; Spg Garden, Spring Garden; Susq'ana av, Susqehanna
av; supt, superintendent; sta. station; treas, treasurer; u.s.a., U. S.
Army; u.s.m.c., U. S. Marine Corps; u.s.n., U. S. Navy; Wash'n,
Washington; W, west; whf, wharf; W P, West Philadelphia; W Hall, White
Hall; wid, widow.

--
Jason S Colflesh <>

This thread: