PHILLY-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PHILLY-ROOTS > 2003-10 > 1065482926

From: Robert M Lightcap <>
Subject: Re: [PHLY-RTS] Mutual of Kensington Cemetery
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:28:46 -0400

Andy,

Exerpts from postings to PHILLY ROOTS list:

This is a three part question for the list;
First- Is Frankfort(d) St. Cemetery, Frankford Rd. Cemetery, Helverson's and Mutual of Kensington names for the same cemetery?
Second- Are Kensington Union and Mutual of Kensington different cemeteries?
Third- Bodies from Frankfort(d) St. Cemetery were removed to Fernwood Cemetery. Fernwood Cemetery cannot provide any information unless you give them the year of death (or in the case of a reburial.....the year of reburial). Is it possible to find out in what year the bodies were removed from Frankfort(d) St. Cemetery and reburied at Fernwood?

Ans: Based on info from 1998-99 postings by Claire, Tom and Lynn, found in
PHILLY-ROOTS' archives
<http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=PHILLY-ROOTS>;;
and http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/cem.html:

First - Yes, they are the same cemetery
Mutual of Kensington 1838-1862
AKA Helverson's or Frankford Rd Cem.
Location: NW side of Frankford Rd. (now Ave.) northeast of Harrison (now
Palmer) St.
Removed to Fernwood Cemetery, 6500 Baltimore Ave., Lansdowne, PA 19050-27503.

Second - Yes, Union is technically different from the above cemetery. "Union"
refers to one of these 2 cemeteries:
Union Burial Ground of Kensington & Northern Liberties
AKA West Street Grounds
Location: Berks St. - Gaul to Belgrade
Removed to Northwood Cem., 15th & Haines St., Phila., PA. 19144
Union Wesleyan Cemetery
Location: Hanover St. (now Columbia) north of Thompson
Removed to North Cedar Hill, Frankford Ave. & Cheltenham Ave., Phila., Pa.
19124 (North Cedar Hill has had their indexes [1871-1982] microfilmed).
Two other postings, one citing Charles Barker's "A Register of the Burial
Grounds in Philadelphia," said Mutual of Kensington and Union Wesleyan were
removed to Fernwood Cemetery (no mention of North Cedar Hill). Mutual of
Kensington and Union Wesleyan, along with Kensington M.E. Cem. Ground, made
up what was known as Hanover Cemetery, in the Fishtown section of Phila.
This cemetery was removed in 1922 or 1923, each church ground being removed
as a separate entity. Hetzell's playground now occupies the site of the
former cemetery.

Third - 1922 or 1923 (see preceding paragraph).

Another answer to Question 1.:
Helverson's and Mutual of Kensington are the same cemetery.
Helverson was a funeral director who owned [?] the Mutual of Kensington
cemetery.
Try www.hsp.org for records.

Regards,
Bob Lightcap