PIERCE-L Archives

Archiver > PIERCE > 2000-12 > 0976838847

From: Warren Pearce <>
Subject: [PIERCE-L] John Pearce, The Mason 1 of 4
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:07:27 -0700

What follows is 4 messages containing a brochure I got on John Pearce from
a newly met cousin.

What's interesting is how I got it. At my company's Christmas party, one
of my co-workers introduced his wife and she said she was a Pearce, spelled
my way. Then, on top of that, she said that she lived in Clarendon Arkansas
as a child. Well, that's where my father grew up. One way to describe
Clarendon is that it isn't big enough to have a stop light - even today!!
Her father was a doctor and my Aunt remembers visiting him back in the
1940s. WOW

Here is the first part of the brochure. Some of the numbering seems a bit odd.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

JOHN PEARCE FAMILY

John Pearce of Prudence Island and
Some of his Descendants

by HENRY W. HARDON
A.M., LL.B.

1925

INTRODUCTION
The origin of the name Pearce and its variants Peirce, Pierce, Piers,
Piercy, Pearse, Percy, is the Christian name Peter in its Latin form
Petrus. The name occurs widely in England.

There is an unconfirmed family tradition that John Pearce, with whom the
following account begins, came in 1660 at the age of 25 years from Wales to
Boston with two brothers and his parents and that his father, John, fell
down a hatchway of the vessel after it reached Boston and sustained
injuries from which he died.

The sources of information about the first three generations are, unless
otherwise noted, Austin's Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island, p. 146,
and an article entitled "Some Descendants of John Pearce (mason) of
Portsmouth, R. I." by Gen. T. L. Casey, printed in the Magazine of New
England History, vol. i, pp. 129 et seq. Where these accounts differ I have
followed Austin.

7 Day Street, New York. Henry W. Hardon

JOHN PEARCE OF PRUDENCE ISLAND AND SOME OF HIS DESCENDANTS

1. JOHN PEARCE, of Prudence Island in Portsmouth, R. I., 1660, mason,
freeman of Portsmouth, 1666, was born probably in England or Wales about
1632 and died on Prudence Island leaving a will dated 23 Sept. 1689, proved
26 Apr. 1692. He had a wife Mary who died in 1711 leaving a will dated 17
Sept. 1711, proved 8 Oct. 1711.

He bequeathed a negro each to his children Daniel and Mary and his widow
bequeathed one to Daniel.

Children (as mentioned in both wills):

i. JOHN 2, of Prudence Island, freeman 1692, deputy, 1698, b. ab.
1658; d. in 1715; m. MARTHA BRAYTON, dau. of Francis and Mary.

Children b. at Prudence Island:

1. John, b. ab. 1682.
2. Francis, b. ab. 1684.
3, Preserved, b. ab. 1686. For an account of his children and
grandchildren see Mag. of N. E. Hist. vol. I, p. 131.

2. DANIEL 2 PEARCE (John 1), of Prudence Island and North Kingstown,
R.I., 1723, butcher, freeman, 1692, deputy nine times beginning in 1698, J.
P., born about 1662; died in 1731; married, first, a wife whose name is not
found, and, secondly, 13 Dec. 1703 ELIZABETH TUCKER, who died in 1728.

Children by first wife, born on Prudence Island:

i. DANIEL 3, of Prudence Island, and North Kingstown, R. I., 1737,
deputy, 1732-3, b. ab. 1684; d. ab. 1758; m. in Oct. 1708 PATIENCE HILL,
dau. of Jonathan. For an account of his children and grandchildren, see
Mag. of N. E. Hist., vol. i, p. 134.

ii. MARGARET, b. ab. 1686; m. (1) in 1710 EPHRAIM SMITH, s. of Jeremiah
and Mary (Gereardy), b. ab. 1680; d. in Oct. 1722; m. (2) 4 Jan. 1725
EMMANUEL CLARK, s. of Benjamin and Mercy (Smith).

iii. MARY, b. ab. 1689; m. in 1715 JOHN MOSS.

iv. JOHN, of Prudence Island, farmer, b. ab. 1691; d. 22 June 1744; m.
ab. 1718 MARTHA 4 SWEET (Austin's Ancestral Dictionary, p. 42).

Linda & Warren Pearce
Colorado Springs
CO 80919-4821

This thread: