PINSON-L Archives

Archiver > PINSON > 2001-02 > 0981050428

From: "Gary Pinson" <>
Subject: Re: Early Pinsons in America
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:00:28 -0800

(note to Pinson list subscribers: I decided to copy you on this response to
James Pinson, because I thought there might be descendents of the
Revolutionary War soldier, Joseph Pinson, who would be interested. Even if
you aren't of that line, this response includes an interesting case study in
genealogy)

James

Re: This Alabama Pinson:
"Joseph, Benton Co., 030, 2220001-1111001 (Gary Pinson says this is
possibly an uncle of his Great-great-grandfather Aristides Brown
Pinson, grandson of Joseph, great-grandson of the Rev. Aaron.
Aristides was in Alabama about 1880, Gary says, and had an uncle
named Reuben Burch in Benton County. This Joseph "may be another
uncle," he says.
Gary thinks this could be the Joseph Pinson who married Mary Mills in
Anderson Co., SC, on Jan. 29, 1823.)"

Suggest a few changes:
1) Description "...this is possibly an uncle of his Great-great-grandfather
Aristides Brown Pinson, grandson of Joseph, greatgrandson of the Rev.
Aaron..." is too confusing. Suggest "this is probably a son of Joseph
Pinson and greatgrandson of the Rev. Aaron...".
2) "this could be the Joseph Pinson who married Mary Mills in
Anderson Co., SC, on Jan. 29, 1823." I'm "sure" it is. Not only was the
marriage announcement placed in the local Newspaper (the Pendleton Messenger
as I remember--can look up), but a death notice was placed in the same paper
after his death in 1849 (consumption) stating he died in Benton Co. Alabama
and noting he'd been a long time resident of Pendleton. Widow Mary Pinson
is shown in the Benton (Calhoun) censi.

By the way, the only known written document naming Joseph and Margery
Pinson's children was dated after Margery's death in 1852. By then all but
4 daughters were deceased. The documents were generated in a survivor
rights claim on Joseph's Rev. War Pension and only named the 4 survivors
plus one deceased daughter (via the witness testimony of her widower
husband, Samuel Fariss).

Other identified children have been proven by multiple associations with
known family members. Another daughter who predeceased Margery was Sarah
Burch, who with her husband Reuben moved to Benton Co. Alabama. Two known
daughters of Joseph and Margery Pinson (Mary and Emilia) married two of
Reuben Burch's brothers (John and Jarrett). These brothers were in close
association through 1820 Pendleton Dist. S.C. when Reuben was listed next to
John and Jarrett Burch. Reuben and Sarah Burch would have been in Pendleton
at the time of their marriage and the 1810 and 1820 censi show their family
in development. A descendent has a Bible of a son of Reuben and Sarah which
has a statement written by said son that Sarah was a Pinson before her
marriage. The only head of house Pinson in Pendleton at that time was
Joseph Pinson with 7 daughters. I accept Sarah Burch as a daughter.

This is one reason I suspected Joseph d. 1849 Benton Ala. as a son of Joseph
and Margery Pinson. He was married in Pendleton district shortly after
Joseph and Margery left Pendleton Dist and he moved to a county in Alabama
where another child of Joseph and Margery lived.

I have just received new information on this younger, Alabama Joseph Pinson
that reinforces my belief that he was a son of the Rev. war soldier Joseph
(and Margery) Pinson. A friend sent me a small drawing from a book showing
a plat of nineteen buildings in the heart of Pendleton Village in 1826.
Shown on that Plat is Joseph Pinson's blacksmith shop. Joseph Pinson who
died in Benton Co. Alabama bequeathed his "smith tools" in his will. "Smith
tools" was the name given to blacksmith tools at the time. In fact, the
second husband of Joseph and Margery's oldest daughter, William Visage, used
the same term in his will bequeathing his "smith tools" to his son in law.
So, Joseph Pinson who died in Benton Ala. in 1849 is undoubtedly the Joseph
Pinson, blacksmith of 1826 Pendleton.

But what is really interesting is that the blacksmith, Joseph Pinson, was
living next door to Joseph Grisham, tavern owner, in 1826 Pendleton. Just a
few years later, the Rev. Joseph Grisham of Pendleton would write a
testimonial to the honesty of the older Joseph Pinson for his Rev. War
pension application. Said Joseph Grisham was one of the most notable
Baptist ministers of his time and his autobiography was featured the father
in law of the future governor of Georgia, Joseph Brown. Interestingly GOV.
Brown's grandfather (also named Joseph) had fought in the Rev. War in the
same place as Joseph Pinson and had later drawn land on the same Cherokee
Creek as Joseph Pinson. The late Loreita Hayden, an expert in this Pinson
line, always felt (as I do) that the Pinsons were intermarried with the
Browns (probably through Joseph's wife Margery or Joseph's mother
Elizabeth).

So, if tavern owner Joseph Grisham of Pendleton is the Baptist minister
Joseph Grisham of Pendleton, we have the younger Joseph Pinson living next
door to a friend of the older Joseph Pinson. I've made a half hearted
effort to prove the two Grishams are the same person. If proved, I think it
more than coincidence.

Remember, until his departure from Pendleton, following the 1820 census,
the older Joseph Pinson (Rev. war soldier) was the only Pinson family head
shown in Pendleton. Then in 1823, the younger Joseph Pinson is married in
Pendleton and (by 1826) sets up a blacksmith shop (Did older Joseph Pinson
teach him and his brother in law, Wm. Visage, the trade?). He then moves to
a county in Alabama where a daughter of the older Joseph Pinson lives. That
could be merely coincidence--I've shown nothing linking the younger Joseph
to the daughter of the older Joseph Pinson.

In summary, while not proven, I believe the Joseph Pinson who died in Benton
(Calhoun) Co. Alabama in 1849 is a son of Joseph Pinson, Rev. war soldier.

G. Pinson