PIPPEN-L Archives

Archiver > PIPPEN > 2002-05 > 1021683307

Subject: Pippen/Pippin/Pipen - MD/DE
Date: 17 May 2002 18:55:07 -0600

Surnames: Pippen/Pippin/Pipen -
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/HaABAIB/30

Message Board Post:

Don't have a clue where this came from in my genealogy travels but might be helpful to Pippens: Hope you'll return the favor when you come across something that might be helpful to others:

[Collection of Dru L. Pippin – Manuscript of Rev. Walter W. Pippen, Jr.]
[Page 31]
Data on Maryland Pippens from County Seats of Elkton and Chestertown, Md.
October 17, 1939
My dear Mrs. Denson:-
I went to the Courthouse today to make your search. There are no Pippin
wills. I found the enclosed in the original papers filed in the top of the
office of the Register of Wills. Cecil county administration accounts I regret to say are not in good shape. We have three sets of books, which do not tally with the index, and distributions are almost impossible to find.
About fifteen years ago I classified a quantity of old papers in the
office of the Register of Wills and I knew it was probable that I might find a Distribution which named the children of the Testator. I should say possible not probable.
After locating these names on the Index I asked for the original papers
which are not indexed, of course and was indeed gratified to find these two.
There are a new Cecil county wills recorded in Annapolis instead of
Elkton, so I turned to Magruders Colonial Abstracts of Wills hoping to find a Pippin will, but none were listed. --Next I tried Cecil County Signers of the Oath of Allegiance thinking I might find some of the family, but the name was not there. I think I have the only copy of Cecil County Signers of the Oath of Allegiance in this State.--Johnston's History of Cecil County does not give any help. From what I found I am supposing that John and Wm. Pippin were sons of Matthias, and that Ann James was a sister of John and William. You will note the date of Adm. Accounts of Matthias Pippin's Est is 1763 and not 1765 as you
have it.--
Very sincerely yours,
Mollie Howard Ash
Archivist and Genealogist
The Historical Society of
Cecil Co. Md.
[Page 32]
Cecil County, Md.
Office of the Register of Wills
Original Papers:-
Know All Men By These Presents, that we John Pippin, Mathias Hendrickson and John Cox, All of Cecil County, Province of Maryland, farmers, are held and firmly bound, etc., on this 6th day of Apr. 1763, the obligation being that the said John Pippin, Administrator of Matthias Pippin late of Cecil County, deceased, Do make a perfect Inventory, et. al.
John Pippin-his mark.
Matthias Hendrickson and John Cox
Inventory of the Estate of Matthias Pippin, dated 13th day of Apr. 1763 is
very long. M.H. Ash. Ann James and William Pippin-nearest kin. John Hall and Elinor Brown, greatest creditors. Robert Walmsley and James Wroth, Appraisers. Cecil County. On the 4th day of July 1763 came John Pippin, Admr. of Matthias Pippin, late of Cecil County, deceased, and made Oath that this is a true Inventory, et. al.-- Sworn before Andrew Pearce, D. Com. Cecil County. Hall of Records, Annapolis, Md., May 8, 1941 by Elizabeth W. Meade, Asst. Information desired.
I. Pippen-Pippin-Pipen

1. Pipen, John, 1765, Queene Ann's County.
WILLS Liber 22, folio 878.
Wife- Rebecca
Son- Joseph, N.B. He later migrated to Edgecombe Co., N.C.
John, Jr., Remained in Md. Appears in 1st Fed. Census-1790
Robert, Remained in Md. Appears in 1st Fed. Census-1790
Solomon, Migrated to Edgecombe Co., N.C. Land Rec. of 1766
Benjamin, " " " " ". Later than above
Rebecca Emory, Relation not given. Evidently married dau.

2. Pippen, John, 1765, Cecil County. N.B. Dated 1763 in Cecil Co. records. Balance. Book Liber 4, folio 115
3. Pippin, John, 1764, Cecil County Inventories. Liber 83, folio 193
4. Pippin, John, Cecil County, 1765 Accounts liber 53, folio 33a
5. Pippen, Mathias, 1765 Cecil County Accounts. Liber 53, folio 34
6. Pippen, Mathias, 1765 Cecil County Balance Book. liber 4, folio 115
7. Pippen, Mathias, 1763, Cecil County Inventories, liber 80, folio 564
8. Pippen, William, 1770, Cecil County Accounts, liber 65, folio 194
9. Pippin, William, 1769, Cecil County Inventories, liber 100, folio 99;
liber 101, folio
[Page 33]

II. The John Pipen who left a will in Queen Anne's County in 1765 is not the same as the John Pippen of Cecil County who left an account in 1765. The reason we have for assuming that they were two people is that John Pipen of Queen Anne's County left his wife, Rebecca, his executrix, while John Pippen of Cecil County did not leave a will and Chas. James was appointed his administrator.

III. Cecil and Caroline Counties were never connected. Caroline County was taken from Queen Anne's County.

IV. Cecil and Queen Anne's Counties were never one. Queen Anne's County was taken from Kent and Talbot Counties.

V. Marydel is on the border between Maryland and Delaware. It is in
Caroline County in Maryland in Kent County in Delaware.
Signed. Elizabeth W. Meade,
Assistant Archivist,
May 8, 1941
Hall of Records at Annapolis, Md.
Letter of even date accompanied data, both addressed to Rev. W.W. Pippen, Jr.,
Petersburg, Va. -- N.B. There are Pippins living in Marydel, Md. in 1941. A letter to W.W.P. Jr. from one T. I. Pippin.
Pippen Family Data from Md. Histor. Assn. Files in Baltimore, Md., Apr. 1941. From "Maryland Wills" by Annie Walker Burns, Wash. D.C.
Vol. 31 - P. 68. 1760-64:
Abstract of Will of John Pipen(Pippen) of Queene Anne's Co, Md.
"To my wife Rebecca Pipin my personal estate. To my sons, Joseph Pipen, John Pipen, Jr., Robert Pipen, Benjamin Pipen, and Rebecca Emory-dau.- to each one- one shilling, after my debts are paid. My wife, Rebecca Pipen, executor,
Oct. 30, 1762 --
Witnesses: Nathaniel Cleve, Jr., Humphrey and Richard Cleve.-
Will probated 24 March 1763.
Note: a photostat copy of this will may be had from Hall of Records at
Annapolis, Md. Ref. Magruder's Index of Colonial Wills in Annapolis -
"31,878". (Add name of Solomon Pippen)
Pippen Data From Parish Records in files of Md. Histor. Commission in
Baltimore:
Parish Records for Queene Anne's Co., Md.
Page 57 in St. Luke's Par. Reg. is the marriage of John Pippin and Eliz.
Mounticue. April 11, 1751, banns published. This was probably John Pippin, Jr., son of the above John Pipen, who died 1763.
Page 52 in St. Luke's Par. Reg. is marriage of Joseph Pippen and Margarit MacCoy, Jan. 22, 1746. He was probably son of above John Pippin, Sr.
Page 61 of same Reg. is marriage of Benjamin Pippin and Charity Montague, Dec. 16, 1756 - banns published. He was probably son of above John Pippin, Sr. All apparently grown before their father's death. Mounticue, Montegue, and Montague (MODERN) is one and the same name. Of the five sons named in John Pipen, Sr.'s will other evidence in hands of W.W. Pippen, Jr. 1941 indicates that Benjamin,
Solomon, and Joseph later migrated to Edgecombe Co., N.C. while Robert and John Pippin, Jr. remained in Md. and are shown in the Fed. Census of 1790. Robert having been in Rev. War. Solomon may have married after reaching N. Carolina. He first appears in N.C. land records in 1766.
Parish Records for Kent Co. Md.:
Page M 216 in Shrewsbury Par. Reg. is the marriage of Wm. Pippen and Christian Murry. Anno Domino 1730, May 31.
Kent Co. Marriage Records 1797 in Courthouse at Chestertown, Md.:
Page 16: Martha Pippen of Kent Co. to Albert A. Briscoe of Queen Anne's,
Jan. 16, 1854. By Murray
Page 266: Richard W. Pippin of Kent Co. to Milcah Ashley of Kent, Feb. 7, 1826. By Wooley.
Page 268: Robt. K. Pippen of Kent Co. to Harriet A. Tomlinson of Kent, Nov. 29, 1859. By J. Aspril.
Page 270: Sarah Rebecca Pippin of Kent Co. to Chas. Henry Jewill of Kent Co., Feb. 1, 1848. By Sanderson
Page 270: Thomas Pipin of Kent Co. to Maria Beck of Kent Co., May 18, 1819.
By Thos. Seawall. Thomas was in Amer. Rev.
Page 272: Wm. Pippin of Kent Co. to Hester Moffit of Kent Co., June 26,
1822. By Rider
Baptisms
Pages 58 and 59, Ch. Records of M. E. Ch., Old Kent Circuit, 1853-1869:
Children of Robt. K. Pippin and Harriet A. Pippin of Chestertown, Md:
Harriet Isabelle, born July, 1862, bapt. July 5, 1867
Walter Tomlinson, born Sept. 18, 1864, bapt. July 5, 1867.
Both by J.B. Sugg.
Wills
Jno. Pipping, Feb 23, 1684, one of Testators of will of Henry Robinson of
Calvert Co., Md. See pg. 146, Md. Calendar of Wills, Vol. I, 1635-1685
Bible Records of Upper Peninsula Eastern Shore of Md., by Sarah Stuart.
Page 164: "Children of Joseph Aspril, b. Feb. 2, 1742 and Mary Skeer-his wife-b. March 17, 1756 ... their eleventh child was Hannah Aspril, born Feb. 1, 1799 and married Wm. Pippin. The Aspril family was from New Castle Co., Delaware. Francis Aspril the father of above Jospeh Aspril is believed to have come from Sweden to America.
[Page 35]
Data on Maryland Pippins,Furnished by Ann G. Pippin, Chester-
town, Md.
–----
Mar. 14, 1940
My dear Mr. Pippen:-
Long weeks ago my brother Paul forwarded your letter
to me, asking that I answer it for him. He felt as I was
in our town could gather more information than he so
after much delay and thumbing thru numerous old records I
can give you an item or two regarding the Pippins in our
part of Maryland.
In answer to your questions:
I. Roger Pippin, the Sports-Editor is known to us only
Through the newspapers.
II. The Pippins of Marydel are not known to us at all.
III.Our forbears are buried in Chestertown, Kent Co., Md.
And on the Pippin Farm, three miles outside of Chestertown.
IV. In so far as we know, not related to Queen Anne Co. Pippins
V. My father, Walter Romlinson Pippin died six years ago, leaving our mother, Walter Kemp Pippin, eldest, Robt. Comegys, second son, myself, the third child, and Paul, the youngest. Understand Pippins are mentioned in early Queen Anne County history.
Most sincerely,
Ann G. Pippin
-----
Records of Kent County, Md.
Richard W. Pippin
Micah A. Pippin married Feb. 7, 1826 – Milcash Ashley
Children:
Sara Rebecca married Chas. Henry Jewell Feb. 1, 1848
Martha married Albert A. Briscoe Jan. 16, 1854
Robt.Kemp married Harriet A. Tomlinson Nov. 29, 1859
Children of Robt. Kemp Pippin and Harriet A. Tomlinson:
William R. Pippin-Our uncle-
Walter Tomlinson-Our father, married Ann Cosden
Harriette Isabelle-Our aunt
Charles-Our uncle
Children of Walter Tomlinson Pippin and Ann Cosden:
Walter Kemp
Robert Comegys
Ann Gertrude
Paul Wheatly Tomlinson-Architect in Columbia Univ., N.Y.
I. Henry Pippin died Apr.13, 1721-No heirs
II. Thomas Pippin married Eliz. Etherington Aug. 26, 1819
III. Wm.Pippin married Hester Moffitt June 26,1822; Because
of date believe they may have been Richard W.Pippins
brothers as he was married in 1826.
[The following was the second half of a page with the Family Line of Paul
Wheatly Tomlinson Pippin]
Other Data from Md. Histor. Commission Files at Baltimore, Md.
Parish Records for Queen Anne's Co., Md. St. Luke's Parish:
John Pippin mar. Eliz. Montacue (Montague) Apr. 11, 1751, Pg. 57. Banns published. He is believed to be Jno. Jr., son of John, who d. 1765.
Joseph Pippin mar Margarit Maccoy, Jan. 22, 17__, Pg. 52. Bro. of above Jno.Jr.
Benjamin Pippin, mar. Charity Montegue (Montague) Dec. 16, 1756. Banns published. He is believed to be brother of Jno. & Joseph above.
Parish Records for Kent Co., Md. Pg. _ Shrewsbury Parish:
William Pippin, mar. Christian Murry on May 31, 1730. No more data on him. Thomas Pippin of Kent Co., to Maria Beck of Kent on May 19, 1819. War of 1812.
Thomas Pippin of Kent mar. Eliz. Etherington Aug. 26, 1819. Unless the above marriage was 1818, this was a different Thomas.
William Pippin of Kent mar. Hester Moffit on June 26, 1822. This William and 2d Thomas may have been Richard W.'s bros. Rec. of Wm. and Hester on page 272 of above. Data on 2d Thomas & Eliz. Ether - by Ann G. Pippin of Md.
Record of Wills in Md.
At Easton, Talbot County. Letter of Court Clerk, Dated Apr. 10, 1939.
Solomon Pippin, will dated May 30, 1902, probated Aug. 12, 1902. Close call.
Heirs:
Mary E. Pippin, widow.
Wm. M. Pippin, son, now at Elk Ridge, Md. Has a son named Solomon Thomas Pippin
Isaac R. Pippin, who died same year as his father. See below.
Ida May Nichols, a dau.
Florence A. Roe, a dau.
Addie B. Swank, a dau.
Isaac P. Pippin, a grandson, son of Isaac R.
Isaac R. Pippin, Will
[Page]
Isaac F. Pippin, name of whose wife is now known. Talbott County Record.
Heirs:
1. Isaac P. Pippin - assumed to be living somewhere in Md. in 1941. Not in Talbot County. His will was dated Aug. 6, 1902, probated Oct. 14, 1902. Also a "close call" as was his fathers. Cecil County, Md. Rec., also at Hall of Records at Annapolis.
John Pippen, 1765 or 1763. At Annapolis. Bal. Bk. Liber 4, folio 115;
Accounts Liber 53, folio 33a; Inventories Liber 83, folio 195. Adm. was Chas.
James - brother in law by Ann James, his sister.
William Pippen, 1775. 1770. At Annapolis. Accounts Liber 65, folio 194;
Inventories, Liber 10_, folio 99; Inventories, Liber 101, folio 4. This est.
was not settled.
Matthias Pippin, 1763 or 1765. Annapolis. Liber 53, folio 54; Accounts,
Liber 4, folio 115; Balance Book, Liber 80, folio 564. Inventories. This
inventory is very LONG, and Matthias is believed to be the father of John and Wm. above. This may have been the Wm. who mar. Christian Murry in Kent in 1730. See previous page. No heirs mentioned for either three. Administrator was John P. above. It appears he died before the Est. was settled & a 2d Adm. appointed. John Pipen - Pippen of Queen Anne's Co. also died in 1763 and his wife,
Rebecca, was Adm. Liber of Wills 22 F. 878. List of his heirs given
elsewhere.
From Maryland Calendar of Wills, Vol. 1635-1685, Pg. 146.
Will of Henry Robinson of Calvert Co. 2-23-1684.
John Pipping is mentioned as Testator of above Will along with John Hunt and Henry Simons. They were witnesses. Pippings in Phila. and Boston in 1941. They are pure Pippin. "g" is corruption.
Bible records of Upper Peninsula Eastern Shore of Md. by Sarah Stuart of Md.
Aspril Family of New Castle County, Del.:
Children of Joseph Aspril (born Feb. 2, 1748) and Mary Skeer his wife (born Mch. 17, 1755) ... their eleventh child was Hannah Aspril, born 1 Feb. 1799, married William Pippin. Note Joseph Aspril above was son of Francis Aspril, who is believed to be from Sweden. We do not yet identify this William Pippin.
Records in Md. Searched to Date
Burns Index to Md. Wills
Magruders Index to Md. Wills
St. Luke's Parish Records in Queen Anne's County
Shrewsbury Parish Records in Kent County, Md.
St. Paul's Parish Records. Partial search through. Per. Records of Calvert, Talbot, and Cecil Counties.
Hall of Records at Annapolis.
Caroline County was taken from Queen Anne's County. Marydel, Md. is in Caroline and one T.I. Pippin lives there in 1941. No reply to inquiry.
Queen Anne's County was taken from Kent and Talbot Counties. In these counties the Pippins and Pippens were living.
Cardine County, Md. was taken from Queene Anne Co. in 1773. Queen Anne's was taken from Kent & Talbot in 1706.
World War Soldiers of Maryland, Vol. II, Petersburg, Va. Library show:
Walter Kemp Pippin, b. Mch. 23, 1900, 205 Washington Ave., Chestertown, Kent
Co., Md.
Jas. Olin Pippin, Cantorville, Queen Anne's Co., Md., born Sept. 16, 1895.
Walter Kemp appears on previous page but Jas. Olin not yet identified.
Rodger H. Pippen, Sports Editor of Baltimore Evening Post - not yet
identified.
Wm. V. Pippen, Jr. of Baltimore and family were original Virginians. Their
line was at Gloucester Courthouse, Va. from 1790 Census till 1870, when they moved to Baltimore. Edward A. Pippen sold land in Warwick Co. Va. prior to 1727. He was probably an ancestor of Wm. Pepin of 1790 Fed. Census. Edw. A. is a family name.

This thread: