PITMAN-L Archives

Archiver > PITMAN > 2001-05 > 0989723000

From: "I am who I have always been." <>
Subject: [PITMAN] Sion PITTMAN Robeson Co NC
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:03:20 -0400

1. SION1 PITTMAN was born ca 1755 in NC, and died 1825 in Robeson Co NC. He
married ELIZABETH GLARE, daughter of STEPHEN GLARE and MARY UNKNOWN.

Notes for SION PITTMAN:
PITTMAN DATA BANK Family Members:
0478 / 1997 GRIFFITH Richard W., 142 Great Neck Road, Wareham MA 02571-2428;

0592 / 1998 LEWELLEN Anne;
0632 / 1998 WEST Sam, 556 PITMAN Road, Lumberton, NC 28358;

0831 / 1999 PITTMAN Ron, Jefferson Pilot Financial, PO Box 21008, Greensboro NC
27420
1985 / 1999 THOMAS Jenny C.; or
2120 / 2000 RICHARDSON Dick;
2172 / 2000 WITTEN Leesa;
2253 / 2000 GIBBS Frances Johnson;
possibly related:
0595 / 1998 STEPHENS Richard H., Lumberton NC; "Robeson Co
NC families: STEPHENS, FLOYD, LEWIS, OLIVER. Have info to share on PITMAN/PITMAN
family of Robeson Co NC. I live in the co seat - Lumberton."

Vanishing Ancestors, Cemetery Records of Robeson Co NC, compiled by Peggy T.
Townsend
Federal Census 1850 Robeson County, North Carolina
World Family Tree Pedigree 3177: Descendants of Sion Pitman, submitter unknown
Pitman Sion NC ROBESON 050 1790 01-01-02-00-00

http://www.geocities.com/markfreemn/freemanj.html "A Benjamin Freeman, in the
western part of the county that became Robeson Co NC was probably born by 1750.
His will, dated 25 Aug 1819, mentions son Benjamin, daughters Elizabeth and
Mary, sons Jacob, Hardy, and grandson Evan Freeman Bryan. His land was sold to
Sion Pittman in 1819. His land, described as 'on the west side of the Great
Swamp' and 'on the east side of Drowning Creek' and 'between the Great Swamp and
Drowning Creek' was granted from 1779 to 1787."

Will of Sion Pitman, 27 June 1819 -- 7 May 1825 (age 59 at time of filing)
In the name of God Amen. I Sion Pitman of the state of North Carolina, County of
Robeson, being in perfect mind and memory thanks given to the almighty God for t
he same. Calling to mind the mortality of my body knowing that is is appropriate
for all men to die due make and ordain this my last will and testament.
In the following manner and formally first I give and bequeath to my dearly
beloved wife, Elizabeth, 130 acres of land where on I now live including the
plantation where on I now live except a part of cleared land on the west side of
the plantation where Milly Taylor formerly lived. Together will all my stock of
every description, household furniture, and farming utensils freely by her to be
prospered and enjoyed during her natural life and widowhood and afterwards the
130 acres of land to equally divided among three children Sion, Sampson, and
Zelica and the stock and furniture and tools to be equally divided among all my
children.
I give to my son Stephen two dollars in money to be paid by my executor.
I give and bequeath to my daughter, Charity Webb, 40 acres of land to be taken
where Milly Taylor formerly lived by her to be prospered and enjoyed.
I give and bequeath to my son Henry, 40 acres of land lying between ... Webb
Land the the creek near ... land ... given freely by him to be prospered and
enjoyed.
I give and bequeath to my son Rhodes 100 acres ol land in two surveys 50 in the
Gumb Swamp and 50 on the east side of the swamp ... by Stephen Glare 200 acres
more beginning at his lower line and running to the Hog Ridge so as completed
200 acres (100 acres in both sides of the ... swamp freely by him to be
prospered and enjoyed.
I give and bequeath to my son Sion 120 acres of land on the north side of the
Gumb Swamp and on both sides of the Little Swamp 150 acres more lying below
Rhodes Pitman's land it being part of a 400 acre survey I bought of Benjamin
Freeman beginning at hog ridge freely by him to be prospered and enjoyed.
I give and bequeath to my son Sampson 50 acres of land the remainder of 400
acres I bought of Benjamin Freeman 200 acres more beginning at Tom Stis land
beginning corner of a 50 acre survey and run its due course as for deed from
John Brumble freely by him to prosper and enjoy.
I give and bequeath to my daughter Zelica, 50 acres of land joining Stephen
Pitman's land and Tyler Phillip's land freely by her to be prospered and
enjoyed.
I give and bequeath to my son in law ... Philips one dollar in money to be paid
by my Executor.
I give and bequeath and request all my children to give out of their legacy Five
Dollars a piece to my grandson Jordan Phillips. And I nominate ordain and
appoint my son Stephen Pitman and my wife Elizabeth Pitman co-executor to this
my last will and testament. In witness thereof I have hear unto set my hand and
seal 27th day of June, Eighteen Hundred and Nineteen. Signed, sealed, published,
pronounced, and declared by the said Sion Pitman to his last will and testament
in the presence of us who in his presence and in the presence of each other have
here unto subscribed our names. Sion Pitman (by his mark).
Front Cover: Sion Pitman -- Robeson County -- May Seven 1825 -- Then was this
Will proved in ... Court by the ... of wills ... I ordered to be recorded.
Recorded in Wills Book A of Robeson County page 367 pursuant to order of Court
May ... 1838.
[NOTE: This transcription of the will of Sion Pitman was provided to me by Ron
Pittman, Greensboro NC; July 28, 1999. bcw]

"My Pit(t)mans lived in Wishart's Township, Robeson Co NC, and intermarried
with: DAVIS, GLARE, ISRAEL, MEARES, MERCER, NANCE, PHILLIPS, TODD, WEST,
WILLOUGHBY, WISHART. I am a descendant of Sion PITMAN ca 1760 - ca 1826 Robeson
Co NC. He married Elizabeth "Betsy" GLARE, a daugther of Stephen and Mary GLARE
of Flowers Swamp and later of the Burnt Islands. I first pick him up on Flowers
Swamp here in Robeson Co NC, which is only a short distance from the Rev. Isham
group, but have not been about to connect the families. Since my Sion had a son
name Sampson PITMAN, I suspect [but can't prove] that he may be closely
connected to that line." Sam West, 1998

"I am descended from Capt. Thomas Pittman of Virginia and have that line fairly
well carried through. My children, on their late father's side, have Sion
Pittman b. 1764. I am unable to find anything on him. I think he was located in
Robeson Co NC. Sion PITMAN b 1764 d 1825 lived in Robeson or Bladen Co NC m
Elizabeth GLARE." Ann Lewellen, 1998

"I am a descendant of the Pittmans of Robeson County and cannot seem to back
date the family beyond Sion Pittman who was born about 1760. In the 1790 census,
I noticed Nathan Pitman's name and feel he had to be related somehow to Sion
Pitman since there were not that many Pitmans living in Robeson County then. I
have been able to piece together some information which I feel is correct given
the backing of the census information and some discussions with a long time
resident in Robeson County who knew some of the Pittman family history. There is
a graveyard near one of the parcels of land owned by the Pittmans in which my
Great Grandfather (Lewis Pittman) and Great Grandmother (Emmaline) are buried.
Any burial sites prior to this one have long since disappeared . . . It seems
that most of the Pittmans of Robeson County stayed in that area until the
introduction of the textile industry to the South in the late 1800s and early
1900s. Prior to the introduction of textiles, there was no reason to leave the
family farm or Robeson County. My Grandfather (Miles Dudley Pittman) left the
farm and moved to St. Pauls, N.C. M.D. was instrumental in the founding and
beginnings of St. Pauls Cotton Mills. He was plant superintendent of their three
cotton mills until his retirement in the early 1950s. My Father (George Robert
Pittman) joined Burlington Mills (later Burlington Industries) following World
War II and retired as Executive Vice President of Burlington Madison Yarn
Company (Division of Burlington Industries)." Ron Pittman, Greensboro NC, July
1999

"Sion Pitman born 1776-will probated in Robeson Co NC: wife Elizabeth GLARE; son
Henry b 1810; son Rhodes 1798; son Sion Jr. 1796; son Sampson 1802; dau Charity
b.1795; and dau Zelica b.1809. May have also fathered Riley Pitman 1817." Jenny
C. Thomas, Sep 1999

"Am looking for info on Sion PITMAN who married Elizabeth GLARE. He died in
Robeson Co NC before 1825. Stephen, his son, 1 Dec 1789 - 7 Apr 1875, married
Charity 2 Oct 1796 - 27 Feb 1854. There were seven children in all. Some went to
Georgia." Dick Richardson, 2000

"I have a chart done by Sam West compiled in 1982 that shows Stephen PITMAN b
12/1/1789 is my gggg gf md Charity b 10/2/1796. I am descended through their
daughter Charlotte PITMAN md Willis TAYLOR. I think Charity may be a BRITT, but
looking for another source. Sion PITMAN b ca 1760 is my ggggg gf md Elizabeth
GLARE. Since '82, when this chart was done, is there any info on Sion's lineage?
I have a lot of info on descendents (my line) from these guys (mostly Taylors
and Falks.)" Leesa Witten, 2000

Notes for ELIZABETH GLARE:
dau of of Stephen and Mary GLARE of Flowers Swamp and later of the Burnt
Islands, Robeson Co NC

Children of SION PITTMAN and ELIZABETH GLARE are:
i. STEPHEN2 PITTMAN, b. 1 December 1789, Robeson Co NC; d. 7 April 1875, Robeson
Co NC; m. CHARITY TAYLOR; b. ca 1795; d. Bef. 1870, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for STEPHEN PITTMAN:
Federal Census 1850 Robeson Co NC: 313 Stephen Pitman 60 M farmer b Robeson Co
NC; Charity 54 F b Robeson Co; Charlotte 22 F b Robeson Co; Hellen C. 19 F b
Robeson Co; Emily A. 17 F b Robeson Co; Experience 15 F b Robeson Co; Harriett
13 F b Robeson Co; Stewart 9 M b Robeson Co; Delilah TAYLOR 95 F b Robeson Co.
1870 Census Robeson County, NC - Wishart Community: Pitman, Stephen 85 M W
farmer $1,200.00 -- $200.00; Brumble, Nora 20 F W at home.

"Am looking for info on Sion Pitman who married Elizabeth Glare. He died in
Robeson Co NC before 1825. Stephen, his son, 1 Dec 1789 - 7 Apr 1875, married
Charity 2 Oct 1796 - 27 Feb 1854. There were seven children in all. Some went to
Georgia." Dick Richardson, Feb 2000

"Stephen PITMAN & Charity of Robeson Co NC are my ancestors." Richard Griffith,
1997

"I have a chart done by Sam West compiled in 1982 that shows Stephen PITMAN b
12/1/1789 is my gggg gf md Charity b 10/2/1796. I am descended through their
daughter Charlotte PITMAN md Willis TAYLOR. I think Charity may be a BRITT, but
looking for another source. Sion PITMAN b ca 1760 is my ggggg gf md Elizabeth
GLARE." Leesa Witten, Apr 2000

ii. CHARITY PITTMAN, b. ca 1795, Robeson Co NC; d. Bet. 1840 & 1850, Sumpter Co
GA; m. JOHN WEBB, 30 July 1816, Robeson Co NC; d. Bet. 1830 & 1840, Sumpter Co
GA.

iii. RHODES PITTMAN, b. 18 November 1798, Robeson Co NC; d. 20 December 1877,
Robeson Co NC; m. MARY ANN PHILLIPS, 1 March 1821, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for RHODES PITTMAN:
[ 1 Mch 1821 PITMAN Roads m ? Robeson Co NC; bride's name not given ]
Federal Census 1850 Robeson Co NC: 301 Rhodes PITMAN b ca 1798 52 M farmer b
Robeson Co NC; Mary A. 52 F b Robeson Co; Hester 23 F b Robeson Co; Ann J. 20 F
b Robeson Co; Jordan 17 M laborer b Robeson Co; Mary A. 14 F b Robeson Co;
Harriett M. 12 F b Robeson Co.
Federal Census 1860 Robeson Co NC: 67 Rhodes PITMAN b ca 1797 63 M; Mary A. 63
F; Ann J. 30 F; Mary A. 25 F; Harriett M. 20 F; Geo. A. 2 M

iv. HENRY PITTMAN, b. ca 1800, Robeson Co NC; d. 1868, Robeson Co NC; m.
PENELOPE UNKNOWN; b. ca 1800, Bladen Co NC; d. Aft. 1870, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for HENRY PITTMAN:
W.H. Barnes, age 17 (b ca 1843) and Jas. Barnes, age 14 (b ca 1846) in household
in 1860
Hepsy Ivey (b ca 1854) dau of Experience, in household in 1870
Martha Phillips (b ca 1861) dau of Penelope, in household in 1870
1850 census Robeson CO NC Southern Division: Henry Pitman Sr. b ca 1810, 40M,
farmer, b Robeson Co; Penelope b ca 1808, 42F, b Bladen Co; Stephen b ca 1823,
27M, laborer, b Robeson Co; Rebecca b ca 1825, 25F, b Robeson Co; Charity 22F, b
Robeson Co; Sidney 20F, b Robeson Co; Penelope 19F, b Robeson Co; Henry W. b ca
1834, 16M, b Robeson Co.
1860 census Robeson Co NC Southern Division: 63 Henery Pitman 60M, farmer;
Penelope 62F; Stephen 44M; Rebecca 35F; Sidney 30F; Washington 23M; W. H. Barnes
17M; Jas. Barnes 14M

v. SION PITTMAN, b. Bet. 1801 & 1803, Robeson Co NC; d. Bet. 1874 & 1880, Worth
Co GA; m. (1) MARY UNKNOWN; m. (2) MELVINA SALTER, 31 October 1861, Worth Co GA.

vi. SAMPSON PITTMAN, b. Bet. 1802 & 1805, Robeson Co NC; d. Aft. 1870, Robeson
Co NC; m. NANCY BRITT, 29 December 1825, Robeson Co NC; b. ca 1810, Johnston Co
NC; d. Bef. 1880, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for SAMPSON PITTMAN:
1850 Robeson Co NC Southern Division 308 Sampson Pitman 48 M farmer b Robeson
Co; Nancy 47F b Robeson Co; Stephen b ca 1828 22 M b Robeson Co; Betsey A. 18F b
Robeson Co; Agga 16 F b Robeson Co; Sion b ca 1837 13M b Robeson Co; Rosilla b
ca 1843 7 F b Robeson Co; Charlotte 4 F b Robeson Co.
1860 Robeson Co NC Southern Division: 77 Sampson PITMAN 57 M; Nancy 57 F; Sion b
ca 1838 22 M; Rosilla b ca 1844 16 F; Charlotte N. J. 13 F.
1870 Federal Census Robeson County, NC, Wishart Community: Pitman, Sampson 65 M
W Farm Laborer; Nancy 65 F W keeping house; Risa 23 F W at home; Julie 2 F W.

Notes for NANCY BRITT:
http://www.elite.net/~centavo/britt.html
9. BURRELL3 BRITT (SAMUEL ELISHA2, LEMUEL1)32 was born 1790 in Robeson Co NC,
and died June 12, 1860 in Robeson Co NC. He married EUNICE BRITT.
Children of BURRELL BRITT and EUNICE BRITT are: i. NANCY4 BRITT, b. Abt. 1810,
Johnston Co NC; ii. CALEB I BRITT, b. December 04, 1813, Lumberton, Robeson,
NC; d. January 04, 1899, Lumberton, Robeson, NC; iii. ELIZA BRITT, b. 1819,
Lumberton, Robeson, NC; d. Lumberton, Robeson, NC; iv. KENNETH BRITT, b. August
23, 1823, Robeson, North Carolina; d. Abt. October 1891, Robeson, North
Carolina; v. HARRIET BRITT, b. Unknown; vi. JOHN L. BRITT, b. Unknown,
Lumberton, Robeson, NC; d. Lumberton, Robeson, NC; vii. MARTHA PATSY BRITT, b.
Unknown; viii. SARAH ANN BRITT, b. Unknown; m. JACOB BRITT, JR.34, March 28,
1842, Robeson Co NC;
10. NANCY4 BRITT (BURRELL3, SAMUEL ELISHA2, LEMUEL1)34 was born Abt. 1810 in
Johnston Co NC. She married SAMPSON PITMAN December 29, 1825 in Lumberton,
Robeson , NC.

Children of NANCY BRITT and SAMPSON PITMAN are:
i. BETSY A.5 PITMAN34, b. 1832, Johnston Co, NC.
ii. AMELIA ANN PITMAN34, b. 1834, Johnston Co, NC; d. September 13, 1909.
iii. ROSELLA PITMAN34, b. 1843.
iv. CHARLOTTE PITMAN, b. 1846, Johnston Co, NC.
vii. ZELICA PITTMAN, b. ca 1809, Robeson Co NC; d. 17 December 1888; m. JOHN
PHILLIPS, 4 May 1825, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for ZELICA PITTMAN:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/8415/regan.html
Charlotte9 Regan (Ralph8 , Joseph7 , Ralph6 , Joseph5 , Joseph4 , Francis3 ,
Daniell2 , Ira1 ) was born Abt. 1833. She married George Washington Phillips,
Sr., son of John Phillips and Zelica Pitman. He was born Abt. 1828. Children of
Charlotte Regan and George Phillips are: i. Amanda10 Phillips. She married Orren
Mercer; ii. Caroline Phillips. She married George W. Regan; iii. Eli Phillips;
iv. George Washington Phillips, Jr; v. Vinnie Ellen Phillips.

ICQ 84892128
AIM BevWmson
I am planning to live forever.........
PITTMAN DATA BANK: Now 2,350 depositors, and growing!
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bevwmson/pittmandatabank.html
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/i/l/Beverly--C-Williamson/
"We have the power to change the world.
Teach your children to love life,
Respect humanity, and protect our planet." ...CyberBev, 1 Jan 2001

This thread: