PITTMAN-L Archives

Archiver > PITTMAN > 1999-05 > 0926483811

From: "I am who I have always been." <>
Subject: Re: re Pitman Clearing House: Matthew of Mecklinburg Co NC
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 00:36:51 -0400

Note: Marriages in Mecklinburg Co NC
Eliz. Pitman m 11 Mch 1797 Jepthah Baker; Matthew Pitman, bondsman; Isaac
Alexander, witness.
Matthew Pitman m 30 Sep 1805 Kezia RODDEN; Godfry Williams, bondsman.
this is Matthew's second wife ...
Matthew of Halifax married his second wife in 1826, after Mathew of
Mecklinburg had died ..
so this man cannot be son of Elisha ...
Rachel Pitman m 14 May 1806 Upton RODDEN; Jonathan Baker, bondsman; Isaac
Alexander, witness.
Upton RODDEN said to be son of Keziah WILLIAMSON RODDEN PITMAN
Susanna Pitman m 20 Oct 1806 John Hartwich / Hartwick; Henry Crump,
bondsman; Isaac Alexander, witness.
Ketherine Pitman m 31 Mch 1810? Thomas Allen; Joseph Blackwood, bondsman.
Levina Pitman m 25 July 1810 Matthew Bryan; Thomas Sprott, bondsman.
Mary Pitman m 8 Jan 1818 Samuel Givens; Chas. Cook, bondsman.
(Samuel GIVENS; Mecklenburg County; Private; North Carolina
Militia; $44.88
Annual Allowance; $134.64 Amount Received; May 12, 1834 Pension
Started; Age 72.
Samuel was still in Mecklenburg Co in 1835. (NORTH CAROLINA
PENSION ROLL OF 1835,
Contributed To USGenWeb by William Navey)]
Sally Pitman m 14 July 1819 John Hamond; Grief W. Gray, bondsman; Chas. T.
Alexander, witness.
Lucinda Pitman m 1835 Jospeh RODDEN (line of Patsy Nelson:
)

Ed,
Thanks for your interest in my project. There is some confusion about
Matthew PITMAN of Mecklenburg .. I don't currently have Elizabeth as his
daughter. Here is what we do have:

2 MATTHEW PITTMAN
b ca 1755 VA or NC d 16 Aug 1815 Mecklinburg Co NC
m1 --?-
m2 30 Sep 1805 Keziah WILLIAMSON RODDEN Mecklingburg Co NC ( no Pitman
children )
*Rev Soldier
[ *Matthew Sr was about 30 years old when Matthew Jr was born. there MUST
have been some older children not yet identified .Bev]
["MATHEW5 PITTMAN was born ca 1775 in Virginia and died Aug 16, 1815 in
Mecklenburg Co NC. He married (2) KEZIAH WILLIAMSON Oct 30, 1805 in
Mecklenburg County, NC. Children: ELIZABETH PITTMAN, b. ca 1792; SARAH
PITTMAN, b. ca 1794; RACHEL PITTMAN, b. ca 1796; SUSANNA PITTMAN, b. ca
1798; LEVINA PITTMAN, b. ca 1800; son MATHEW6 PITTMAN Jr. b ca 1790, North
Carolina; d. Bef. Oct 26, 1849, Pontotoc Co MS." Craig Crouch, 1998 ]
["Matthew PITTMAN b ca 1756 d 16 Aug 1815 Mecklenburg Co NC. He served in
the Revolutionary War while living in Onslow Co NC. I believe Matthew to be
the father of Temperance PITTMAN who m Robert BOYD." Bart Boyd, 1998 ]
["My gggrandmother was Cynthia Lucinda (she called herself Lucindy) PITMAN.
Keziah WILLIAMSON RODDEN m Mathew PITMAN aft 1798. Then Joseph C. RODDEN m
Cynthia Lucinda PITMAN in 1835 -- he is gson of Keziah. One of Keziahs sons
Upton m Rachel PITMAN in 1806. Mathew could be Lucindy's grandfather.
Keziah and Mathew had no children of their own. Joseph and Lucindy ended up
in Arkansas, where they both died." Patsy Nelson, Jan 1999]

3 PITTMAN Temperance ( Matthew2 )
[ line of James T. Newell & Sabra Newell Sudbury & Bart Boyd ]
b ca 1780s Medklenburg Co NC res Bibb Co AL
m Robert BOYD ( b ca 1781 d 1863 ) of Mecklenburg Co NC

3 PITTMAN Matthew Jr. ( Matthew2 )
b ca 1784 NC d bef. 26 Oct 1849 Pontotoc Co MS
m ca 1805 Mary Y. HARKEY

these folks have all done work on this line:
0014 / 1998 MALCOLM Frances P.,
0170 / 1980 BLACK Wilma Lea Pittman, 105 Ashley Avenue, Woodland CA 95695
0235 / 1998 McKEAN LaRue P.,
0355 / 1995
0410 / 1997 CROUCH Craig,
0493 / 1998 PITTMAN Angela,
0507 / 1998 CAGE Donna,
0642 / 1998 NELSON Patsy,
0674 / 1998 BOYD Bart,
0675 / 1998 WATKINS Claudine,
0724 / 1998 DEASON Janet,
0784 / 1998 PARK Ricky,

0839 / 1999 [ 8 ] NEWELL James T.,
I am a descendant of Temperance PITTMAN dau of Matthew Sen'r m Robert BOYD
of Mecklenburg Co NC. Robert BOYD was a vet of War of 1812 and received
Bounty Land Warrants in AL for his service. James NEWELL m Sarah Boyd dau of
Robert. Matthew PITTMAN Jun'r, Robert BOYD, James NEWELL and several others
homesteaded in Tuscaloosa Co AL early 1830s, possibly due to the BLTs. James
and Sarah BOYD NEWELL named their first two sons Robert Boyd NEWELL and
Matthew PITTMAN NEWELL. Robert and Tempie's first child, Polly Boyd, was
born Sep 28, 1801. Even if Tempie was as young as 14 when this child was
born, it would place her birth in 1787, older than Matthew, Jr. Most of
these listed children appear to be minors, except Matthew, Jr. Could there
have been other, older children who were married and not named in the will?

0675 / 1998 [ 8 ] WATKINS Claudine and Gerald,
I am kin to the RODDEN family, but since he married Kessie, I'm interested
in Matthew Pittman. There are several on the web that states he had a son
named Henry born in 1819 and was the son of Matthew and Kessie, but that is
impossible as Matthew died in 1815. In the 1810 and 1820 census she had no
small children.
John RODYN alive 1758 Essex Co VA m 1742 Susanna WILLIAMS Essex Co VA had at
least three children
1) John RODDEN b bef 1720 Essex Co VA d 1788 Essex Co VA m ca 1741 Mary
JACKSON
2) James RODDEN
3) Benjamin Jackson RODDEN d 20 Mch 1798 Mecklenburg Co NC ( widow Kessie /
Kizziah )
"Rodden Roots" compiled by Leslie R. Waltman Jr. Pub 1979 by Northeast
Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc., P. O. Box 674, Gadsden, Alabama 35902
Mathew PITMAN's children were by first wife (unknown), they were:
1) Matthew PITTMAN Jr b ca 1780 NC;
2) Rachel PITTMAN b ca 1783/1793 NC d aft 1860 m 16 May 1806 Mecklenburg Co
NC Upton RODDEN
3) Temperance PITMAN b NC m Robert BOYD
Joseph C. RODDEN b 1814 Meckenburg Co NC d bef 1900 AR m 1835 Synthia
Lucinda Genda Gilda Malinda Martha PITTMAN (she could have had an Ann and
Missouri in her name as well) They had 3
children:
1) male RODDEN 1835/1840 Tennessee?? He was in the 1840 census with them
2) John Alexander RODDEN b 12 Feb 1848 AL d 4 Apr 1917 Wallaceburg/Belvens
Hemstead Co AR m 1870 Pike Co AR ( Courthouse burned down but family states
this is where they got married ) to Mary Ann CROSS
3) Joseph L. RODDEN b 29 Apr 1853 Hot Springs Co AR d Nov 10 1921 Wilton
Little River Co AR m abt 1876 Pike Co AR to Mary A. E. RILEY

0719 / 1998 LLOYD Sue,
I'm looking for the parents and sibling of Susannah PITMAN m 20 Oct 1806
John HARTWICK Mecklenburg Co NC. They were in Franklin Co TN by 1819.

I would like very much to connect your Elizabeth to Matthew ... can you tell
me about your research so far? You may have more correct information than
our current chart -- I always keep an open mind.
Micajah PITMAN of Mecklenburg has not been connected to Elisha or Ambrose of
Halifax .. I would especially love for someone to prove who his father was!
"Cookie" Harper has done the work on this family ..
Elisha PITMAN's son Matthew is a generation younger than Matthew of
Mecklenburg, based on his childrens' ages. Perhaps you and Cookie can
discuss this further.
Her family group sheet:

5 PITMAN Matthew (Elisha,4 Ambrose,3 Thomas Jr.,2 Capt. Thomas1)
d bef 1850 Halifax Co NC
*Matthew m unknown first wife:
6 PITTMAN Martha Matilda b 1812 d 1/11/1887 Halifax Co NC
| m David CULLOM 03-17-1831, Halifax Co, NC
6 PITTMAN Henry W b 6/24/1819, d 7/13/1885 Halifax Co NC
| *Henry W. m Priscilla A PHILLIPS 7/22/1858 Wilson H Whitaker bm
| *Henry W. m Mary Francis PITTMAN 9/20/1865 (widow of brother,
James W. Pittman)
6 PITTMAN Emma b abt 1822, living 1880 census, never married
6 PITTMAN James Wilson b abt 1825, d 4/15/1864 Halifax Co NC
| m Mary Frances PHILLIPS 8/11/1853
*Matthew Pittman m 23 Nov 1826 Patsey HART Halifax Co NC Jas. Jones, bm.
She had a
dau named Lucinda HART b abt 1815. So either she was first married to a Hart
or Lucinda
was illegitimate. ]
6 PITTMAN Sarah "Salley" Ann b abt 1830
6 PITTMAN Eveline b abt 1832