PITTMAN-L Archives

Archiver > PITTMAN > 2001-03 > 0985111368

From: "I am who I have always been." <>
Subject: [Pittman] Jesse PITMAN & Rachel FLOWERS
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:02:48 -0500

Descendants of Jesse PITMAN

Generation No. 1

1. JESSE4 PITMAN (THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) was born ca 1730 in Isle of
Wight Co VA, and died ca 1790 in Bladen / Robeson Co NC. He married RACHEL
FLOWERS 26 September 1765 in Edgecombe Co NC, daughter of JOSEPH FLOWERS. She
was born ca 1745 in Edgecombe Co NC, and died Bet. March & May 1816 in Robeson
Co NC.

Notes for JESSE PITMAN:
PITTMAN DATA BANK Family Members:
.0181 HUFF Flora Griffin, 306 Pittman Street, Fairmont NC 28340 (1994).
.1990 INMAN Timothy; (1999).

1 January 1764 Elisha Battle of Edgecombe Co. lease to JESSE PITMAN and NEWIT
PITMAN of same, for a period of twelve years a tract of land on the north bank
of Tar River at the mouth of the Plum Tree Bottom adjoining THOS. PITMAN'S
lease, the sum of 1/5/- Virginia currency to be paid annually on the first day
of January. Wit: John Battle, THOMAS PITTMAN, JOEL PITTMAN. DB C p. 243.

Bladen County N. C. Deeds (1738-1779)
March 29, 1772 (Pg 275-6): Nathan Horn of Bladen, planter, to JOHN FLOWERS of
Edgecomb County 301 lbs...on Flowers and Cowards Swamps Sw of Downing Creek and
Cole's Bluff....600 a. Wit: Dan'l Willis, Jesse Pitman.
April 25, 1771 (Pg 272-3): Martha Blount, widow of SC to JOHN FLOWERS of
Edgecombe Co., NC., planter...36 lbs w side of Downing Creek being part of land
where James Roberts formerly lived...100 a. wit: Jesse Pitman, EDWARD FLOWERS.
April 5, 1771 (Pg 263-4): James Blount of Sc., planter, to JOHN FLOWERS of
Edgecombe Co., NC....64 lbs w. side of Downing Cr. being the place where James
Roberts formerly lived...200 a. wit: Jesse Pitman, EDWARD FLOWERS.

"I am looking for the parents of Jesse PITMAN in Robeson Co NC. There were
many -- too many. But one is the subject of an agreement recorded in 1810 in
Robeson Co Deed Book P, page 211. In settlement of the Jesse PITMAN estate (the
man I am looking for), his heirs agreed to gived the deceased's lands to his
sons Jesse and Noah PITMAN. The heirs who made the agreement were Joseph LEE,
Noah PITMAN, Jesse PITMAN, Robert INMAN, and Wiley BARNES. My theory is that
Jesse PITMAN died intestate, and his land was divided among his children/heirs,
meaning his sons (Noah and Jesse PITMAN) and his daughters' husbands (Joseph
LEE, Robert INMAN, and Wiley BARNES). Can anyone help confirm to which Pitman
branch this Jesse belongs?" Timothy Inman, 13 Aug 1999

Notes for RACHEL FLOWERS:
Rachel's first marriage was to Elisha HORN, by whom she had a son, Edward HORN.
Rachel's LWT recorded 1816 Robeson Co NC.
Rachel Pitman p. 173-174 Dated 18 March 1816, proved May Term before J. McQueen.
son - Edward Horn (Herne);
son-Noah Pitman - 1 slave;
son - Jesse Pitman - 1 slave;
Joseph Lee;
Wiley Barnes and "his daughter Sarah Barnes" - 1 slave;
Susanna Barnes (sister of Sarah) - 1 slave;
Nancy Inman, daughter;
Executor: Isham Pitman Senr. Wit. John Pitman, Isham Pitman

Children of JESSE PITMAN and RACHEL FLOWERS are:
i. NOAH5 PITMAN, d. Bet. 1816 & 1825, Robeson Co NC.

Notes for NOAH PITMAN:
Noah Pittman, Revolutionary Soldier.
LWT of Rev. Isham Pitman, 1825: Ninth I give to my loveing nephew Jesse Pitman
Senr a negro woman named Jane and Five children with their increase named Olive,
John, Mary, Ben & Jemima with this reserve thaat the sd Jesse Pitman shall give
the heirs of Noah Pitman dec'd the sum of Five Hundred Dollars then to be his
property to dispose of at his pleasure.
Who were the heirs of Noah Pittman?

2. ii. NANCY PITMAN, b. Robeson Co NC.
3. iii. ANNIE PITMAN.
iv. RACHEL PITMAN.
4. v. DAUGHTER PITMAN, d. Bef. 1816.
vi. DAUGHTER PITMAN.
vii. SON PITMAN, d. Bef. 1810, Robeson Co NC.
5. viii. JESSE PITMAN, b. ca 1767, Bladen / Robeson Co NC; d. Bef. November
1846, Robeson Co NC.

Generation No. 2

2. NANCY5 PITMAN (JESSE4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) was born in Robeson
Co NC. She married ROBERT INMAN. He was born ca 1770 in Robeson Co NC.

Notes for ROBERT INMAN:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jayking/robertinman.htm
14. ROBERT5 INMAN (HARDY4, JAMES3, ROBERT2, ROBERT1) was born 1770 in Robeson
Co, NC, and died Unknown. He married NANCY PITTMAN. She died Unknown.
More About ROBERT INMAN:
BOOK: 03-Oct-1998, Inman Genealogy, Ref-9/12
More About NANCY PITTMAN:
BOOK: 03-Oct-1998, Inman Genealogy, Ref-12

Children of NANCY PITMAN and ROBERT INMAN are:
i. ALLEN6 INMAN, b. 2 March 1802, Robeson Co NC; d. 14 December 1878, Robeson Co
NC.
ii. STEPHEN INMAN, b. ca 1804, Robeson Co NC.

3. ANNIE5 PITMAN (JESSE4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) She married JOSEPH
LEE Bef. 1816.

Notes for ANNIE PITMAN:
"Jesse Pitman m. Rachael Flowers. She was b. Sept 1765 in Edgecombe and 1st was
married to Elisah Hern or Horn. When was Jesse born and when did he die? Their
children were Noah, Annie, wife of Joseph Lee, Jesse, Jr., Nancy Inman, and dau
who m. Wiley Barnes. Annie Pitman m. Joseph Lee. I have no dates on them. Joseph
m. 2nd Isabel Johnston Floyd, widow of Franis Floyd of Horry Co., SC. Four of
Annie and Joseph's children married the children of Francis and Isabel Floyd. My
line continues through Elizabeth Lee who married Johnson Floyd and resided in
Robeson Co., NC." Betty Floyd Matthews, , 4 July 2000

Child of ANNIE PITMAN and JOSEPH LEE is:
i. ELIZABETH6 LEE, m. JOHNSON FLOYD.

4. DAUGHTER5 PITMAN (JESSE4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) died Bef. 1816.
She married WILEY BARNES Bef. 1810. He died Aft. 1816.

Children of DAUGHTER PITMAN and WILEY BARNES are:
i. SARAH6 BARNES, b. Bef. 1816.
ii. SUSANNAH BARNES, b. Bef. 1816.

5. JESSE5 PITMAN (JESSE4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) was born ca 1767 in
Bladen / Robeson Co NC, and died Bef. November 1846 in Robeson Co NC. He married
SARAH INMAN ca 1790 in Robeson Co NC. She died Bef. July 1842 in Robeson Co NC.

Notes for JESSE PITMAN:
PITTMAN DATA BANK Family Members:
.0181 HUFF Flora Griffin, 306 Pitman Street, Fairmont NC 28340 (1994).

LWT of Rev. Isham Pitman, 1825: Ninth I give to my loveing nephew Jesse Pitman
Senr a negro woman named Jane and Five children with their increase named Olive,
John, Mary, Ben & Jemima with this reserve thaat the sd Jesse Pitman shall give
the heirs of Noah Pitman dec'd the sum of Five Hundred Dollars then to be his
property to dispose of at his pleasure.

1790 North Carolina Halifax district Edgecombe County
1st # free white males 16 year upwards and head of families
2nd # free white males under 16 years
3rd # free white females and head of families
4th # all other free persons
5th # slaves
Pitman, Jesse..................................1-2-4-0-0
[ Jesse P m Rachel Flowers 26 Sep 1765 Edgecombe Co NC ]
Pitman, Jesse jr...............................1-0-0-0-0
[ Jesse b ca 1767, son of Jesse P & Rachel Flowers; m ca 1790 Sarah Inman ]

Will of Jesse Pittman, pp.493-501 Date: 30 April 1845
wife Sarah - land on HOG Swamp, near Riley School House Branch including the
mansion house, 6 slaves, Isaac, Sandy, Hannah and her three children, Margaret,
Nelson and James;
gr-son Jacob Leggett - above land after the death of Sarah (I, 520 acres);
gr-son Wright Leggett, slave Hannah and 3 children;
gr-son Jesse Legget - slave Isaac;
son Jesse Pitman - 2 slaves, Henry and Mariah;
dau Mary Leggett - wife of William R. Leggett - 6 slaves: James, Ben, Sarah,
Ned, Caroline, and Stephen;
gr-dau Christian Hill, wife of Griffin Hill - girl Helan;
gr-dau Betsy Civil Leggett - slave woman Mantha.
Extrs: wife Sarah Pittman, son-in-law William R. Leggett. signed: Jesse Pittman
wit: Sdh. Howell, Edm. McQueen.
Pro. November Term 1846. Oath of Shadrack Howell and Edmund McQueen, Sdh.
Howell, Clk.

"Dr. Robert Wayne Purvis, D.D.S., is a dentist in Tennessee. He prefers calling
on the phone to writing letters. He is a real nice man with a Tennessee Twang. I
have several pages of notes. I tried to write furiously while he talked. We are
related several ways-- through the Lewis name to John Lewis, American Revolution
veteran, and through the Walters name to William Walters, Sr., American
Revolution veteran. I understand these two lines, how they relate, and we
concentrated on them. He said he is related to the Pittman line and mailed
several pages from Mrs. Huff's book, Kith 'n Kin Griffins, Floyds, Hills,
Inmans, copyright 1982. I have a note saying Jesse Pittman, but I'm not sure
what he said." Mary P. Aiken, April 1989

Children of JESSE PITMAN and SARAH INMAN are:
6. i. MARY6 PITMAN, b. ca 1800, Robeson Co NC.
ii. JESSE PITMAN, b. ca 1800, Robeson Co NC; m. SARAH SHEPWASH, 23 July 1842,
Robeson Co NC.

Generation No. 3

6. MARY6 PITMAN (JESSE5, JESSE4, THOMAS3, THOMAS2, CAPT. THOMAS1) was born ca
1800 in Robeson Co NC. She married LEGGETT.

Notes for MARY PITMAN:
her children mentioned in LWT of Jesse PITTMAN d 1846

Children of MARY PITMAN and LEGGETT are:
i. JACOB7 LEGGETT, b. Bef. 1846, Robeson Co NC.
ii. WRIGHT LEGGETT, b. Bef. 1846, Robeson Co NC.
iii. JESSE LEGGETT, b. Bef. 1846, Robeson Co NC.
iv. MARY LEGGETT, b. Bef. 1846, Robeson Co NC.
v. BETSY CIVIL LEGGETT, b. Bef. 1846, Robeson Co NC.

ICQ 84892128
AIM BevWmson
I am planning to live forever.........
PITTMAN DATA BANK: Now 2,250 depositors, and growing!
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~bevwmson/pittmandatabank.html
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/i/l/Beverly--C-Williamson/
"We have the power to change the world.
Teach your children to love life,
respect humanity, and protect our planet."
...CyberBev, 1 Jan 2001

This thread: