PLACE-L Archives

Archiver > PLACE > 2011-05 > 1305945940

From: "Edie McArthur" <>
Subject: Re: [PLACE] Sir hugh de plaiz
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 12:45:40 +1000

What I have though Dave is that the District later named Plaistow was
actually owned by Phillipas family the Montfitchets. The elsdest son,
brother of Phillipa was Richard and he was he Heir to the Manor once his
father had died. Richard Junior being childless then made his three sisters
Heiresses of the East and West Ham district. It was portioned into three
and Phillipa, wife of Sir Hugh de Plaiz named it Manor of Plaiz. So it was
actually her familys seat not Hughs. As to whether Phillipa made him Heir
to her estate or maybe even her sisters. I do not know, but it was she who
gave Plaistow its name through her married surname, not Hugh. I thought I
sent youthis peice from the paper Dave.
Edie