PLANTAGENET-DESCENDANTS-PROJECT-L Archives

Archiver > PLANTAGENET-DESCENDANTS-PROJECT > 2007-01 > 1168630681

From: Alice Gless <>
Subject: Re: [PLANTAGENET-DESCENDANTS-PROJECT] Martin Luther
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:38:01 -0600

I shouldn't have stepped in that as I have no ax to grind either way.
There is lots on the web about it, please don't worry about the
magazine. I don't know how reliable this is or not: I wrote the male
line; there are still descendants from the female line, appears to be
one daughter, and I don't know if the 17 generations was pulled out of a
hat.

http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?1518&cuTopic_topicID=22&cuItem_itemID=7324

"Paul became a well-known physician. He fathered six children and the
male line of the Luther family continued through John Ernest until 1759,
when Martin Gottlob Luther died childless in Dresden. Since that date
there are no Luthers who trace their lineage directly back to Martin.
There are still Luthers, however, who are directly descended from
Martins brother Jakob"

http://worldheritage.heindorffhus.dk/frame-GermanyLuther.htm

"On June 7, 1526 Martin and Katharina's first son, Johannes (Hans), was
born, on December 10, 1527 a daughter, Elisabeth, was born, but died
after 8 months; the daughter, Magdalena, born on May 4, 1529, died at
age 13. In 1531, 1533, and 1534, their sons, Martin and Paul, and
daughter, Margarethe were born. All living descendants of Martin Luther
come from Margarethe's line. Katharina died on December 20, 1552 in Torgau."

You can google "descendants of Martin Luther" (in quotes).

It's just a curiosity to me because my patrilineal male line has only
one left with one son from several generations back, just my line, many
female descendants remaining, males left in other lines from the
original ancestor. I think I'm a little superstitous about it, producing
a male heir was important not just for royalty but for commoners as
well. It's something I track in my various lines and then look for
clues. With smaller families nowadays, the occurrence will no doubt
accelerate.

On my mother's side, her patrilineal line, I've hit brick walls (those
and other brick walls are the ones I should be working on rather than
delving into the Plantagenets) on some but the same seems to hold true,
but for my one first cousin who has two sons (they were religious
Lutherans). Alcoholism and the tendency to corpulence on the part of the
first ancestor in that line to America in 1850's and many sons seems to
have taken its toll and passed on somewhat. The genetics involved have
come into play now for different reasons.

Sorry I took things so OT. I just get interested in different aspects of
things. Sometimes external genetic traits, especially if unusual, can
yield clues. I used to have bright red hair. No one for generations on
either side is there any mention of that, and I'm reasonably certain I'm
linked to the right bio parents. Both the red hair and blond hair gene
are recessive, and both parents have to carry it in order to pass it on.

Oh, in my quest (cursory looks at web pages because I shouldn't be doing
gen right now), I read that Edward I was an albino, not sure if a true
one (he had white hair, don't know about eye color).

Alice