PLATT-L Archives

Archiver > PLATT > 1999-01 > 0916761760

From: "Richard N. Platt, Jr." <>
Subject: Re: Fw: Platt Lineage
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:02:40 -0500

Hello Cathy,

It's always nice to hear from another Platt cousin. I hope that Nick
Cook has told you of our Association and newsletter, and that we hold
annual reunions here in Milford during the summer. We are also starting
up a PLATT-L distribution list through RootsWeb, which will replace my
own list which I have been running for some time.

Taking your first question: I can't find any record of a Mary Platt, b.
Huntington 1730 who married Zebulon Whitman. There are several Mary
Platts from there and born about that time, but no record of one
marrying a Zebulon Whitman. Unfortunately, the Long Island Platts from
this period are in a bit of a mess, so this bears looking into. Would
you like me to run a query in the next Platt Newsletter? Also, the
query could be submitted to PLATT-L.

Your second question is easier, but it brings up some interesting
further questions. Hannah Platt, bapt. 7 November 1756, was daughter of
Obadiah Platt and Mary Carll. Mary Carll, by the way, is the "Widow
Platt" of Platt's Tavern, mentioned in George Washington's diary.

Hannah mar. 1) 1 January 1775 Nathaniel Brush. She mar. 2)Isaiah
Whitman (no further info).

Now, Hannah did have an aunt Mary, but she mar. Joseph Wickes. She
could have had another aunt Mary, of course.

Children of Obadiah Platt and Mary Carll, as I have them, are;

1. Gilbert Platt, bapt. 11 April 1753, d.y.

2. Phebe Platt, bapt. 27 October 1754, d. 15 January 1846, mar. Henry
Titus of Huntington.

3. Hannah Platt, bapt. 7 November 1756, mar. 1) Nathaniel Brush, mar. 2)
Isaiah Whitman.

4. Gilbert Platt, b. Huntington abt. 1758, d. Huntington 26 January
1835, mar. 5 January 1784 Phebe Platt. Keeper of the village inn,
Huntington.

5. Silas Platt, b. Huntington abt 8 June 1760, d. Huntington 24 May
1808, mar. Hannah Rolph.

6. Ananias Platt, b. Huntington abt 1762, d. Albany, NY 10 April 1842,
mar. 18 November 1786 Lydia Jacobs. A tavern keeper at Lansingburg.
Established a stage route to Albany in 1789 and carried the mails until
1792.

7. Keturah Platt, bapt. 21 October 1764. No further info.

Now, Obadiah 5 Platt was bapt. Huntington 1 September 1728, d.
Huntington 28 September 1770, mar. 17 February 1751/2 Mary Carll.
Magistrate and Justice.

Obadiah's line going back:

Philip 4 Platt, b. Huntington abt 1705, d. Huntington 12 May 1748, mar.
15 December 1725 Phebe Rogers. Farmer.

John 3 Platt, b. Huntington 28 June 1669, d. abt 1731, mar._____.

Isaac 2 Platt, bapt. Ware, Herts. England10 April 1633, d. Huntington 31
July 1691, mar. 1663 or 1664 Elizabeth Wood.

Richard 1 Platt, bapt. Ware, Herts., England 6 May 1604, d. Milford, CT
shortly bef. 13 February 1684/5, mar. Roydon, Essex, England 26 January
1628/9 Mary Wood.

I have further information on the English ancestry of Richard 1 if you
want it.

Now, to complicate matters further, there was another Hannah Platt
(Brush)(Whitman) a generation earlier, daughter of Epenetus 4 Platt,
grandson of Isaac 2's brother Epenetus 2. This Hannah, b. 10 August
1724, d. aft. 1758, mar. 1) 14 May 1746 Tredwell Brush of Huntington,
mar. 2) 12 March 1758 Joseph Whitman of Huntington.

Finally, on your Walt Whitman question: I have no info on the children
of Hannah and Isaiah Whitman. I have written a query to Roots-L asking
for ancestry of Walt Whitman. It's very likely that someone out there
has the answer. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Best wishes,
Dick Platt
Richard N. Platt, Jr.
132 Platt Lane