PLATT-L Archives

Archiver > PLATT > 2010-08 > 1282579928

From: Richard Platt <>
Subject: [PLATT] Obit - Lynn E. RICHARDSON
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:12:08 -0400

Lynn E. Richardson, formerly of Avon, Connecticut, died 20 August
2010 at age 88. He was born in Bristol, Connecticut, son of the late
Dr. Ralph and Estelle (Platt) Richardson. He was a World War II
veteran. He is survived by two daughters, Ellen R. Lucas of
Bloomfield, Connecticut, and Nancy R. Callahan and husband, Michael,
of Lincoln, Rhode Island; two grandchildren, Paige Lucas and Leigh
Callahan; many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his wife,
Frances (Crumb) Richardson, a brother, Ralph, and a sister, Martha R.
Smith. -- The Hartford Courant, 8/22/2010.

Note: Lynn Richardson appears to be of the family designated (FH) in
the appendix to the 1963 Genealogy. See p. 312. Francis Henry Platt
(FH) 1, had a daughter, Estelle, b. 1890, who married (_____)
Richardson.

Back in 2002, Shari Bruce provided us with the 1850 census report for
Redding, Fairfield County, which lists the household of Henry J.
Platt, 43, m, combmaker, b. Redding, CT; Sarah, 33, f, b. Easton, CT;
Oliver B., 9, m. b. Easton, CT, in school; Henrietta, 8, f, b.
Redding, CT, in school; Charles N., 6, m, b. Redding, CT, in school;
Francis B. 3, m, b. Redding CT.

The 1963 book also states that Francis Henry's mother was a
Treadwell, and the 1850 census has a Treadwell family nearby, all
born in Weston, CT. Thomas Treadwell, age 60, of this family, could
be Sarah's father.

In our files are two letters from the late Janet D. Elton of
Plymouth, CT.

The first, dated 6 January 2000, contains a quote from Estelle Platt
Richardson, widow of Dr. Ralph Richardson, 1979:
"My mother, Martha S. Platt and brother Francis (Frank) N. Platt were
lifelong residents of Plymouth.
"My mother died at age 49 in 1904. She was the eldest daughter of
John Warner and Marie Johnson Sullivan, and sister of Mrs. Frank
Blakeslee (Flora).
"John Warner Sullivan came to Plymouth from New Milford, Conn., in
the early 1800's, first living in what was later the Harry Baldwin
place (now Helming's) on North Street. He lated moved to the corner
of West Main and Carter Rd. and built another house next to his which
was later occupied by the Rudolph Beardsley family.
"Mr. Sullivan was a mason contractor and build many homes, including
the Leach house on North St,. which is an example of his fine
workmanship. He died in 1904.
"His son, Henry A. Sullivan of Terryville, was Superintendent of the
Machine Dept. of the Eagle Lock Co. for many years.
"All these people have passed away and are buried in the West
Cemetery, Plymouth.
"Frank N. Platt and his wife Alma Waldron Platt resided on Hillside
Ave. all of their married lifetime. also Judge of the Civil Court of
years [sic]; on the Board of Education; Manager of the Cemetery
Association and a fifty year member of the First Congregational
Church of Plymouth. He died on Nov. 15, 1960 at age 78.
"I left Plymouth when I was thirteen (at the time of my father's
death) and have lived in Bristol ever since."

The second letter, dated 24 April 2000, reads in part:
"You mentioned in your letter to me about the Platt family, that,
some day, you would look up the death certificate of Francis Henry
Platt (1846-1915) so I did it for you.
"He was buried in the West Cemetery of Plymouth, CT, but, after
careful searching in the Plymouth and Thomaston Vital Records, I
found no death certificate.
"These records I did find. They may be of some help to you:
"Deaths: Cora 1878, Elsie T. 1881, Harriet 1882, Edwin and Edna
(twins?) 1886, Clarence N 1890, Giles 1898, Mary 1900 and Agnes
Welton Platt 1907. [Note: Agnes Welton was wife of Benjamin(7)
Platt. Richard of Milford #145-121-2.]
"Births: Roland Francis 1901 and Winthrop Winfred 1907......
"VR Plymouth Page 2 Nov. 27 1902 Marriage
'Francis Henry Platt - Thomaston Age 20 - Parents Francis H. Platt
and Martha Sullivan
Alma Dorothea Waldron - Bethlehem Age 19 - Parents John D. Waldron
and Grace Blaine.
"Death: Mrs Martha M. Platt died June 2, 1904 - Husband Francis H.
Platt"

Note that the quote from Estelle Platt Richardson refers to her
brother a Frank N. Platt, but the records found by Janet Elton
clearly call him Francis Henry.

Now, can anyone find a Henry J. Platt, born about 1807, in Redding,
Connecticut? In the 1810 census for Redding, I could find only an
Aaron Platt with a male, age under 10. Aaron himself appears to be
age 16-26. This could be #121-326-2 in the 1963 book but this could
be stretching it.

Dick Platt
Richard N. Platt, Jr.
132 Platt Lane
Milford, CT 06461-2054
(203) 878-6094
RNPlatt(AT)Optimum(DOT)net
richard(dot)platt(dot)sm(dot)55(at)aya(dot)yale(dot)edu (permanent
alias)
There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children--one is
roots, the other, wings.

This thread: