POINDEXTER-L Archives

Archiver > POINDEXTER > 1998-12 > 0914862744

From: Tye & Gloria Atwater <t&>
Subject: [POINDEXTER-L] William Gentry Poindexter = Who is he, really?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:32:24 -0800

Hi y'all!
Okay, back to a favorite mystery. Who IS William Gentry Poindexter?
He so far remains a stray. But just for grins, I will lay out the whole,
pitiful grand total of what we have for him. Here goes;

NOTE: From; Doris Lucas, PDA and Lydia Poindexter Medina;
William Gentry POINDEXTER Born 27 Dec 1824 Lebanon or Nashville, TN, parents
George & Mary (Gentry?) POINDEXTER, further lineage unknown. Signed on as a
Sergeant with Capt. Witcher in I Co. 21st VA Inf. Came back from CA to
serve the CSA and returned to CA in 1864.

NOTE: From; 1860 Census of Tulare County, California
25 July 1860, TOWNSHIP 1, VISALIA P.O.
POINDEXTER, William G. 32 M W lawyer $7000 real.est. $4000 prs.prop
b. TN

William G. POINDEXTER also appears in 1860 Tulare Co. CA as Enumerator for:
Keeneysburg, Town & P.O.; Town of Tailholt; Sinks Tehon; Petersburg, Town
and P.O.; Keyesville, Town & P.O.

NOTE: From; Ancestry Hometown
Census, Territories of Arizona, late 1800s (most probably 1870)
Name; POINDEXTER, William Gentry.
Age; 45. Birth place; Tennessee. Sex; Male. Marital status; -- .
Occupation; Mail carrier. Property value; 5,000.

NOTE; It is said this same William Gentry Poindexter reportedly served in
the Mexican War and fought in the Battle of Monterey in 1846, then in the
Civil War as a Sergeant in the 29th VA Infantry, and later in various Indian
pacification efforts out West as a Captain of Mounted Volunteers.

OKay, so my questions are; from whence comes the info of his Mexican
War service? Sources, anyone?
From whence comes his post-Civil War service in the Volunteers,
against the Indians. Again, what are the sources? What exactly do they say?
Any and all help appreciated, just to fill in a few gaps. Thanks, guys!

Gloria the Snoop

This thread: