POL-KRAKOW-RESEARCH-GROUP-L Archives

Archiver > POL-KRAKOW-RESEARCH-GROUP > 2003-04 > 1051502049

From: George Alexander <>
Subject: Re: [Krakow Research Forum] Need some Polish language help
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear fellow Krakovian!
There is no simple answer to your question, without
explaining the rather complex Polish grammar. Polish
nouns and proper names have seven cases, both singular
and plural, both male and female, all with different
endings.

Names like Herszkowicz, which earlier indeed denoted
"son of" for males, "owna" for single females (i.e.
Herszkowiczowna" for Miss Herszkowicz) , and "owa" for
married females. Genitive cases ended in "a" for
males,(i.e. Herszkowicza, (i.e.of Mr. herszkowicz), in
"owney" for belongings to Miss Herszkowicz (variant
spellings: "owny" or "owney" or "ownej". For married
women the nending is "owej" or "owey".
Plural for a family is Herskowicze or for a whole clan
or large group Herskowiczowcy. Genitive for family is
Herszkowiczow, i.e. of the family Heszkowicz. Note
that the "o" in the endings has an accent over it and
is pronounced "oo" as in "food".
There are many other endings, such as the dative "owi"
(to Mr Herskowicz), "o Herszkowiczach" (about the
family Herszkowicz), etc. etc., but I will stop right
here. If you sent me a photostat of a document, I may
try to translate it for you, within the time
constraints.
Good luck, George ALEXANDER <>

=====