POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0936294917

From: Debbie Greenlee <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Did Your Immigrant Ancestor Come Through Ellis Island?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:55:17 -0500

>>So, it is a useless source of info for researchers. <<
Supposedly, this will not be the case in 2000. My hopes that the
Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Foundation will put on-line, IN ONE
RECORD, all arrivals to the port of New York. It is very tedious now to
have to look through so many different records for a passenger. One body
of work will certainly cut down the amount of time required to find (or
not) an ancestor.

Also,
> > I believe that many would be less mislead if they looked at other sites for genealogical information <<

Unfortunately, some people think they will also find all of their
ancestors records on the internet or that other people have every
reference book, CD, microfilm etc and can instantly find their ancestors
for them. A lot of us have spent years going back and forth to many
libraries, Family History Centers, Salt Lake City, National Archive's
branches, court houses, city halls, cemeteries, schools, countries and
bookstores trying to locate that one piece of information that will set
our research in motion. Reading the "How To" books is really a necessity
in that first step.

DebbieG

This thread: