POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0936375746

From: Carla <>
Subject: RE: [POLAND] Re: Ellis Island Research
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:22:26 -0700

On Thursday, September 02, 1999 10:29 PM,
[SMTP:] wrote:

> Here is some of the information from their website:
>
> This ambitious project is gathering the information on the more than 17
> million people who immigrated through the port of New York from
1892-1924,
> the peak years of Ellis Island processing. The data is being taken
directly
> from the ships' passenger manifests, which are currently on microfilm at
the
> National Archives and Records Administration. ---SNIP---
Dear Ron & Poland-Roots List Friends,

My only gripe with the now-underway Ellis Island database project is that
it will cover ONLY Ellis Island-era records---that perriod 1892-1924, as
Ron states above.

This sounds great---unless your ancestors (like mine) happened to arrive in
the United States at New York BEFORE Ellis Island opened in 1892. It's too
bad that the Ellis Island people couldn't figure out how to include
immigrants in their new database who arrived during the CASTLE GARDEN era
of 1855 through 1891, or any arrivals prior to that.

I am sure this will be a huge disappointment to the thousands of people
researching their families who arrived in this neglected 35-year-period.

Warmest regards,
Carla HELLER
Los Angeles

This thread: