POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0936460957

From: Carla <>
Subject: RE: [POLAND] Churches in Sroda
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 09:02:37 -0700

On Saturday, September 04, 1999 9:30 AM, James P. Harlos
[SMTP:] wrote:

> I took advantage of the free maps from the LOC and received an excellent
> map of the area surrounding Sroda. An enlargement of the area showed two
> churches in Sroda, which agrees with the information in Sl~ownik
> Geograficzny where Sroda is given as having two churches, one Catholic
and
> one Protestant. I am trying to determine the name of the Catholic church
in
> the period from 1850-1880. I have looked at the web site for the
> Archdiocese of Poznan and it does list the church currently in Sroda.
> However, it does not give the dates for the churches. I have sent e-mail
> to the Archdiocese requesting the information with no response after many
> months. Does anybody have any idea concerning this.
Dear Jim and Poland-Roots List Friends,

My copy of Lidia Mullerowa's guidebook, "Roman Catholic Parishes in the
Polish People's Republic in 1984" shows TWO Catholic churches now in Sroda
Wielkopolska, city. (This is the designation for the Sroda nearest Poznan,
not the one nearer to Wroclaw). The are named as follows (forgive me for
omitting the Polish diacritical marks):

NMP Wniebowzietej
[NMP is an abbreviation referring to 'the most holy Virgin Mary')
This name is roughly equivalent to 'Our Lady Assumed into Heaven'

Najsw. Serca Pana Jezusa
(This name is roughly equivalent to 'The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus')

The translation of the names is, I believe, supplied by Ms. Mullerowa's
editors, one of who is the wonderfully expert William F. (Fred) Hoffman.
I cannot take any credit for the interpretation, as I am astoundingly
lousy in the Polish language. :-)

It has been my experience in writing to Polish churches that, if there is
more than one Catholic church in the locality, and you happen to direct
your letter to the inappropriate one for the time frame you are seeking,
the priest there will usually forward your letter to the proper church.
(This usually only works if you are writing to a place which has a LIMITED
number of churches---obviously, it would not be too promising if you were
writing to, say, a place like Krakow, which is a large metropolitan city
with scores of churches!)

In your personal situation, Jim, I would either send a copy of your letter
to BOTH parishes, or use my "Eenie-Meanie-Minie-Moe" technique of picking
one, and hoping for the cooperation of the priest in having it forwarded.

In small towns and villages (as opposed to cities and larger towns), one
need usually not even worry about the specific *name* of the Catholic
church if sending a letter, as there is often only ONE in the location to
start with. The local Polish postal service will deliver your letter if it
is addressed in Polish to "Parafia Rzymsko-Katolickie" (Roman Catholic
Parish) for that place--they know its location well.

It is also fairly common, in my experience, to find that the same church in
a small place that was there in the ancestor's day is STILL there. .
.though of course, the buildings have been replaced/restored over time. In
my ancestral village of Wielowies, Kozmin (now Krotoszyn), Poznan, the
parish church at Wielowies has been there since at least the 1600's, and
the parish is still functioning there.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Carla HELLER