POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0937746942

From: <>
Subject: [POLAND] SOMMERFELD query
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:15:42 EDT

Hi to all:
I am searching for the birthplace of my ggf, Walenty SOMMERFELD, born in
Poland Feb. 1865 (or 1866). I have a copy of his death certificate, Petition
of Naturalization (underage) dated Feb. 1906, and the 1920 US census which
shows he arrived in the US in 1895 and he was from Galicia (which I don't
believe to be true).
His Petition only states he was from Germany and renounced allegiance to
Emperor William II. The ship's manifest listing says he was from Germany and
would be going to South Amboy, NJ.
He was married to Mary JESIKIEWICZ and they had two children, born in
1892 and 1895, before coming to the US and having four more children here.
The family lived in Scottdale, PA, in Westmoreland County.
I have a copy of what I believe to be Mary's brother's baptismal
certificate. The brother was born in Chlebowo, diocese of Gniezno, in 1870.
I believe Mary was born in 1866. Mary also had a sister, Pearl.
My question: would Walenty and Mary have gotten married in the same
church as she was baptized? I believe they would have been married in the
late 1880s or around 1890. If they were married in the same church, St.
Nicholas in the village of Czescewo, as she had been baptized, then where do
I write for information?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Carolyn Sommerfield Bush

Researching: SOMMERFELD, JESIKIEWICZ, KOSCIELNIAK, RESZELA, KASPSZYK

This thread: