POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0937751501

From: Mike Stupinski <>
Subject: [POLAND] Naturalization Papers
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:31:41 -0400

I have run into a temporary dead-end in tracing the roots of one of my
grandfathers and the best bet for additional information is his
naturalization petition. I remain somewhat confused as to where I would
find his naturalization papers, having gotten differing advice on the
subject from various sources. I will most likely have to travel to New
York City to actually find the documents, and I would like to keep it to
a one (very long) day trip, so I want to focus my search as best I can.

I have a poor, but fairly legible copy of the Certificate of
Naturalization, bearing a six digit number, and dated 6 February, 1915.
My grandfather lived in Port Richmond, NY, and the certificate wording
includes: "...having applied to be admitted a citizen of the United
States of America pursuant to law and at a special (unintelligible word)
of the Supreme Court of New York, held at Richmond County on the 6th
day..." The document was signed by a "John H. Wilkinson, Special Deputy
Clerk."

I am primarily interested in finding his petition papers, but would also
like a better copy of the document quoted above. Can anyone tell me if
I should be going to the NYC NARA offices, a county courthouse in
Manhattan or Port Richmond, or a state couthouse in Albany?

Thanks,

This thread: