POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0937774860

From: Christine Dowd <>
Subject: [POLAND] Confusing lname and designation - Russian record
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:01:00 -0400

On a Russian language marriage record I encountered the name (in Polish):

Agnieszka Krzyzanowska Koziel~ v Kozina.
Her father is Jozef Kozina, no mother is listed.

First question: What does the "v" mean? I could not find this
abbreviation in my Polish dictionary. And secondly what do you think this
all means - she is NOT listed as a widow. After her name is the Russian
word for dayworker (her occupation), then (I am transliterating the
russian words):

w a l (b - soft sign) cz a _ - the last letter looks like a Polish "w"
but I know that "w" is not a Russian letter. It does NOT look like the
Russian letter for "szcz." I could not find the word in my Russian
dictionary. I looked in my Polish dictionary and found the words
"wal~e~sac~ sie~" - meaning "to roam, vagabonding."

the next word is even harder to read:

s o _ t a ja l j ja - I cannot read the third letter. This word is
followed by "born in Gorajec...."

Does anyone want to take a stab at it? Wish I knew Russian...

Thanks

Christine Dowd

This thread: