POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938047460

From: Debbie Greenlee <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] ship manifest
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:44:20 -0500

Kevin,
You do have to give them something to work with. The arrival port and
approxiamte year of arrival (as well as the name) are minimal. The
problem is that they'll be checking the indexes or soundexes that you
could be checking and they won't check for spelling variations, and as a
Pole, you should know our names were spelled all kinds of ways. If you
locate your ancestor in the index or soundex, you can then request that
NARA look up the actual manifest with the info you give them.
LDS has the indexes and soundexes.
Debbie

"KEVIN J. MIX" wrote:

> Hi:
> I just joined this list. How do you request a manifest search from NARA? Do you have to know the ship and date that your ancestor arrived or will they search for you?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Kevin Mix

This thread: