POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938145549

From: Joanne <>
Subject: [POLAND] Re: Affect of alien status?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:59:09 -0400

At 03:56 PM 9-23-1999 -0500, you wrote:
>about how alien status affected employment, and perhaps other aspects
>of an immigrant's life, is worth some discussion. Any thoughts?

My 92 year old uncle told me with tears still in his eyes how during WW I he
accompained his dad with their dog to a hill outside the mining town they
lived in central PA and he watched his favorite pet shot by the "local
officials". He said that everyone in their mining town who were aliens
went to the hill that day and their dogs met the same fate. He had no idea
why they weren' t allowed dogs.

My grandfather never did become a citizen.

Joanne

This thread: