POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938230838

From: Geoffrey Kaufmann <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Naturalization
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:40:38 -0500

Elaine,
My understanding is that the information those papers provide depends
upon the
time period in which they were filed. I recently received my
g-grandfather's Declaration of Intent (first papers, 1883) and they really
don't tell me anything new. He renounced his allegiance to the "Empire of
Germany". It does verify the date and that it was filed in the county
court. The most interesting part is that it is the first
documentation of his given name, slightly different than the americanized
version everyone knew him as. But I have a feeling what you mean about
sentimental reasons. I love to take his paper out and just look at it for
awhile but the most impor-
tant thing about it is that it contains what I believe is his actual
signature in a most
beautiful handwriting. That makes it very special to me. All other papers I
have up
to this point were filled in by someone else, even his marriage
certificate. The 1900
census tells me that he did become naturalized so I'll be contacting the
same county
courthouse to find those papers as well.
Dianna Kaufmann