POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938270710

From: Philip & Janean McKay <>
Subject: [POLAND] naturalization
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 07:45:10 -0700

Just in case it applies, you needed to have the intent for citizenship
in order to own property. In many, many cases the intent and the
naturalization papers are both attached to the land files. You can
receive the homestead and patent files from US Gov Offices. For many
eastern 1/2 of the United States you can find out quickly if there was
BLM first ownership On-Line. http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/
If you find the name there you can then send to the Government for the
'complete' document file. I got 17 very interesting documents but it
costs a small fee and takes 2 - 6 months to receive them!!
The naturalization papers might also be at the state historical archives
or at the NARA regional government offices.
http://www.nara.gov/regional/kansas.html
It's worth a try. Just because he took the intent papers out in one
place does not mean that is where the final papers are filed.
Have you followed the census trail? When does it begin to say he was a
citizen? Usually the Federal was on the '0' years and the State on the
'5' years.
JFM from SW Minnesota

This thread: