POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0938460433

From: "Tracy L Polyak" <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Re: immigration
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:27:13 -0500

After 1906, each court was required to send a copy of all naturalizations
to the INS. However, this didn't always happen as it was supposed to.

You mention, though, that you did search at the courthouse. But not all
naturalizations occurred in the Circuit Court. For example, in Cook
County, Illinois, there are four different courts that processed
naturalizations, including the Circuit Court, County Court, Supreme Court,
and Criminal Court. These are all different entities with completely
different sets of records.

Try searching the LDS Catalog by county and by state under the topic of
naturalization and citizenship. If you find nothing there, then try
contacting a local genealogical society for more information about where
naturalizations took place in that locality.

on 09/25/99 08:53:11 AM

cc: (bcc: Tracy L Polyak/Plainfield/CBI)

Hello, I am having a problem researching my family Dec. of Intent papers
ect. I
wrote to; U.S Dept. of Justice(INS)425 I street,NW,2nd
floor,Washington,DC,20536--for many surnames, and they found nothing. I
know for
a fact that 2 of my surnames were naturalized. But still, they said they
had
nothing. I couldn't find their papers in the court house. Am i writting to
the
right office in Washington? What else could i be doing?
Thanks,
Annette

wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> In reference to immigration, I have one experience so far. After
requesting
> and receiving a whole INS file, I am puzzled. There are 2 pictures in
the
> file. One was taken when the person was much younger, so he would look
> different, right? The second picture is an older person in a WW2
military
> uniform. After looking over the file, I see the same given/surname,
> birthdate, village in Poland, etc., is listed. It appears the person
was in
> and out of the U.S. more than once as there are 2 different destination
> addresses for re-entry to the U.S., plus a re-entry document which shows
one
> arrival from Sweden, not Poland.
>
> The physical descriptions recorded on the documents, do not match. One
is
> blonde, fair skin, taller and weighs less. The other has brown hair,
dark
> skin, is shorter in height and weighs more. Fraternal twins, right?
WELL, I