POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032653232

From: "Joe Filipowicz" <>
Subject: RE: [POLAND] Adversity to Polish Ancestry
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:07:17 -0500

I recommend fighting back about these things, legally of course!

It is now illegal in the workplace to discriminate against people. I had a
"local" remark to me at work, when if fumbled a book, "you kust proved your
Polish". I went to his supervisor who said he would take care of it. I told
him that I have been trying to disprove through my advanced education and my
managerial position that there is no such thing as a dumb Pole.

I was told that my ggrandfather, Teofil Chylinski, taught Polish in the
basement of his house. At that period of time it was illegal to teach
Polish culture or language, under penalty of death. Right, David?

The best way to handle people saying, You-all gotta funny name is to respond
"can't you say it?, he will give some kind of dumb reply ......which I
follow with "can't be that hard, I could say it when I was four years old".
It is not too cutting a remark, but he will get the idea.

The most prejudicial place I have every lived in as regards to all things
Polish/Eastern European is Kentucky esp south/rural Kentucky. Write to me
off-list if you want details.