POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032867765

Subject: Re: [POLAND] Re: Adversity to Polish Heritage
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:42:45 EDT

I thought that Poland fought off Hitler at first but was then overwhelmed by
Stalin on the East. Later on during the course of the war, the Poles
regrouped under General Anders and were the only soldiers who could take
Monte Cassino in Italy during WWII and were the only ones who made it to the
top of the hill to oust the Germans. It was at a great cost of human life
and many Poles, probably most of the soldiers died there fighting. The
question which I have is that this was a great battle and was the turning
point of the war in this area. why did we not hear about this in our history
classes when we were in school? The Poles have an outstanding military
history which we were never taught.
Noreen

This thread: