POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032869974

From: Thaddeus Ciechanowski <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Re: Adversity to Polish Heritage
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Patrick Bohinski <> wrote:
> No, I'm not kidding. That is something I heard some
> time ago as a matter
> of fact. I don't know if its true. But I've read or
> heard that when
> Hitler first attacked Poland he was met with no
> resistance and
> practically walked over the country. I may be full
> of horseflies for all
> I know, but I know that someone once told me that is
> one of the reasons
> for the "dumb Polack" jokes. Anyone else ever hear
> this? Hey I'm not a
> scholar so I may be and probably am wrong.

Pat,

You ARE full of horseflys! :)

1) Poland did not roll over in 1939. The will was
there but horses and guns were no match to tanks and
airplanes.

2) France fell in less time than Poland.

3) The real reason for insults was not lack of
"Diversity Training" that many of us now have to go
through, but our ancestors did not know how to speak
or write in English, or know the American way. So to
the "Older immigrants" (English), our ancestors
appeared "dumb".

That makes more sense than the Polish government
opening their doors to Hitler. BTW, that happened 150
years earlier, one of the main reasons for the
partitioning of Poland.

Ted