POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1032998312

Subject: Re: [POLAND] Adversity to Polish Heritage
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:58:32 EDT

To speak out against the Nazi's was a very risky thing to do.
In fact, many who did never lived. We were told, in our visit to Poland last
summer, that there were priest who were outspoken and were shot during Mass
for what they said.

Like every country, there were some who supported the enemy.
But there was a very strong underground in Poland. Did you know that the Boy
Scouts in Poland played a very important part in the Polish underground? I
visited a cemetery in
Warsaw that had a beautiful memorial to the scouts with all their names and
there "password" names.

Yes, there was much anti Semitic behavior in Poland before WWII. Yet Poland
did much over the years to support the Jewish people. Also, many of the
Jewish communities insisted on staying in their own ghetto before the war.
Many did not want anything to do with the average Pole and did not even learn
the language. There were cultural reasons for this.
Unfortunately, there is anti Semitic behavior all over and not just in
Poland. It has happened since year one. Not the way it should be and we
need to do what we can to stop it.

The Vatican's action during WWII is questionable. There are good and evil
things that happened. Priests are human are not ordained as saints and
sometimes their sins are greater then the laypeople's. Pope John Paul II,
the Polish Pope, has done much to improve relationships between Polish Church
and the Jews. He is a great man! A great Polak!

Enough of my preaching. God Bless. Marv in Cleveland

This thread: