POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2004-04 > 1081117584

From: "Raven Fan" <>
Subject: Re: How do I proceed?
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:26:24 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a super-sleuth to tell me where I go from here. My father's
family does not want to be found.

My grandfather: John Hrapowicz (discovered the Polish name would most
likely have been Chrapowicki/Chrapowicz) Info I have: Born: 24 June 1887
Kramarzewo, Poland. Immigrated from Hamburg, Germany about 10 May 1906 to
New York on or about 20 May1906. He does not recall the name of his ship,
he says on DOI & Pa forms.

I have his death cert. Lots of "unknown" in the blanks. He didn't register
for the 1917/18 WWI draft. He never served. I've looked at the passenger
lists for the 2 German ships that would have docked about that May 20 (none
actually docked that day). He's not listed. I don't know how to look at
Hamburg passenger lists. He's not listed on Ellis Island. In the 1920
Census his name is spelled "happowicz" In the 1930 Census his name is
spelled "Heappowicz". On the censuses it says his 1st 2 daughters were born
in Rhode Island but there is no listing for them there. I don't know where
he got married. My grandmother states she immigrated here in 1905 so I
assume it was somewhere in the US.

I have requested his probate records but no received them yet.

So if someone smarter can tell me what to do next I would appreciate it.

Take care

Bobbi McCaffrey

This thread: