POLAND-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > POLAND-ROOTS > 2008-03 > 1205335182

From: "William D Pearson" <>
Subject: Re: [POLAND] Census Look up
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:19:42 -0400

Frank:

I have been looking for a Marcin Sroczynski, who allegedly lived in Pittsburgh, PA in 1900. My interest in him stems from the fact that in 1900 my Great Grandfather, Bartlomeji Zeilinski, arrived in Baltimore and stated that he was going to Pittsburgh to stay with his brother-in-law, Marcin Sroczynski. Right behind B. Zeilinski on the passenger list was a Franc Lesska, who was going to the same address and person, and also listed him as his brother-in-law. I have never been able to find Marcin, but I could find the address in Pittsburgh that was listed for him and forward it too you if you wish. My Great Grandmother, Hedwig Zeilinski, arrived at Ellis Island with my grandmother (3-year-old Stanislawa) in 1901 and stated on the passenger list that she was going to Pittsburgh to join her husband, B. Zeilinski. I have often wondered if Marcin was a real person who allowed some immigrants to use him as a reference, or who provided some services to them, or if he was fictiti!
ous. I have not been able to find him on any census, although there are other Sroczynski's living in Pittsburgh during this period. Can you add any light to any of this?

Dr. William D. Pearson
Professor of Biology
Biology Department
University of Louisville